Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exchange student has questions

Options
  • 14-02-2007 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I will be studying in Dublin for the spring semester, have a few questions for you in the area...

1. bars/pubs/clubs - I've already been to most on phibsborough (mcgowans/the hut/bunch of local places) -- kinda 'meh'. I've been to the one on the mountain, I've also been to temple bar area. Not only are the pubs expensive, but they have no young girls, just old men!

Where should I be going? I'll take a bus/taxi if push comes to shove.

2. weekend vacation - I hear cork is a good place to visit for the weekend, but I also hear I won't understand most the population due to the inherent accent. Is this true? Where else in Ireland should I go?

3. spring break - I understand DIT have 2 weeks off (does this begin on 12/03?); where do you recommend college-age people go to have a good time? Amsterdam? Where do I get the cheapest flights?

I'll have more questions as I learn more about the city, if you can offer any info I'd appreciate it, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

nfl2k2 wrote:
    1. bars/pubs/clubs - I've already been to most on phibsborough (mcgowans/the hut/bunch of local places) -- kinda 'meh'. I've been to the one on the mountain, I've also been to temple bar area. Not only are the pubs expensive, but they have no young girls, just old men!

Where should I be going? I'll take a bus/taxi if push comes to shove.

you're not going to get a mad experience in phibsboro in fairness. you're best off getting a few people from college to drag you out to some spots. temple bar does have some good places. citi bar is a safe bet usually. i've yet to walk out of there without chatting to a woman.

last resort is copper face jacks :D
    nfl2k2 wrote:
    2. weekend vacation - I hear cork is a good place to visit for the weekend, but I also hear I won't understand most the population due to the inherent accent. Is this true? Where else in Ireland should I go?

ah cork isn't too bad. if you understand dublin accents you'll be fine. they just have a "twang". you should visit Galway for a weekend. it's a very studenty city.
    nfl2k2 wrote:
    3. spring break - I understand DIT have 2 weeks off (does this begin on 12/03?); where do you recommend college-age people go to have a good time? Amsterdam? Where do I get the cheapest flights?

you cannot have a bad time in amsterdam. check usit (a student travel agency), then cross-reference their prices with internet prices. it's usually not that expensive.

Advertisement