Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Register of firearms dealers

Options
  • 14-02-2007 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Hi , I just have a few simple questions but even if you don't know the answers , any input at all would be welcomed.

What are the criteria that need to be met to get on the register of firearms dealers? I know obviously things like having to have a mega security system etc and being able to keep all the records , but what are the basic things required inorder to be considered for being an authorised firearms dealer.

Thanks , Citizen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

nothing much more really,but there is a crackdown now on social dealers(in it for personal benifit not business profit)a background check and a trip to the local super for a chat thats about it really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I wouldnt be lookin at a full time career from it yet , though perhaps later. I may have to put it off then until then then.

Are you saying that it was too easy to register and people were exploiting it to get trade price firearms?

What I found is that my local sergeant isn't to update on the details these matters , as I encountered getting firearms licenses . I will pay him a visit in the course of the next while but I would like to be prepared a bit in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

Are you saying that it was too easy to register and people were exploiting it to get trade price firearms?

it was more like trade price ammunition eg;clay shooter and his buddies all pitch in for a pallet of trap cartridges,there is an inspector doing the rounds to everyone who is on the register checking on up-to date security systems,revenue books etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

What are the criteria that need to be met to get on the register of firearms dealers?

I did the homework 18 months ago on this just to sell ammunition. What was required of me was:

1: An approved monitored alarm system.
    2: A large safe, bolted to the wall & floor.
    3: Bars on my window & the room made into a strong room.
    4: No previous-convictions.
    5: A visit from the local C.P.O. to check the above.
    6: A meeting with my Super to show that I was worthy of having RFD licence.

I never got round to it as I was converting my attic at the time and ran out of readies.

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Thanks thats great and cleared so much up, cheers a million times.

But one final thing I would like to clarify is that you have to do all the rennovations before you can be considered so if it is rejected ? But I would presume that I would have no reason for that to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

From memory , I think there was a requirement to demonstrate a need in the area for another RFD. I am not sure if this still applies , I gather that prior to renewal of the RFD licence ,the holder will need a up to date Tax Clearance Cerificate. I may be wrong on both points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Trojan911 wrote:
    I did the homework 18 months ago on this just to sell ammunition. What was required of me was:

1: An approved monitored alarm system.
    2: A large safe, bolted to the wall & floor.
    3: Bars on my window & the room made into a strong room.
    4: No previous-convictions.
    5: A visit from the local C.P.O. to check the above.
    6: A meeting with my Super to show that I was worthy of having RFD licence.

I never got round to it as I was converting my attic at the time and ran out of readies
    I believe that they are now looking for a shopfront setup as well, to cut out the 'social' dealers.

If it's extra ammo you wish to buy, why don't you apply for an increase in your allocation? You can get your license increased to 5000 rounds if you can prove the need.

Clubs can get an authorisation to hold firearms for the use of their members, to be held in a secure safe by one of the officers of the club. The authorisation is renewed annually on 31st July and costs nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

rrpc wrote:
    I believe that they are now looking for a shopfront setup as well, to cut out the 'social' dealers.

Yes, correct. I was going to do it from my home as a 'social' pastime.
    rrpc wrote:
    If it's extra ammo you wish to buy, why don't you apply for an increase in your allocation? You can get your license increased to 5000 rounds if you can prove the need.

My idea was to purchase large quantities of ammo to cut down costs to myself and sell to others. I did apply to have my licence allowance increased but this was declined.
    les45 wrote:
    From memory , I think there was a requirement to demonstrate a need in the area for another RFD.

I think you could be right there as well. The nearest RFD in my area is twenty miles away, this is where I thought I could capitalize. I might try it later when the readies are back up...

But one final thing I would like to clarify is that you have to do all the rennovations before you can be considered so if it is rejected ? But I would presume that I would have no reason for that to happen.

If you are rejected after all that you do have one mighty strongroom for your passport and few bob.... :D

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

If it's extra ammo you wish to buy, why don't you apply for an increase in your allocation?

Dealers get to buy at trade prices, though I suspect if a non-dealer person was ordering sufficient quantities, they could negotiate a very good price which would be very similar.

Advertisement