Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mels Hole

Options
  • 14-02-2007 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

This sounds creepy to me and there is definitely something fish at work.

I have just read the Wiki Article on it and it looks like conspiracy material to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Properties of Mels Hole.

-the hole was roughly nine feet across
    -the hole was over 80,000 feet deep

Fair play to Mel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Properties of Mels Hole.

-the hole was roughly nine feet across
    -the hole was over 80,000 feet deep

Fair play to Mel!

Mildly curious how did they figured out it was 80,00 feet deep?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

sonar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

What the ****? This is a weird story, strange, I never heard it being mentioned on Coast To Coast before :S

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Conspiracy or complete load of bollox that hasn't been substantiated?
    The property is located near Ellensburg, Washington, near the Manastash Ridge. Although the existence of this hole and the events surrounding it have been doubted by many, Art Bell and many of his listeners believe in the existence of the hole and continue to search for it today.

So seemingly the only person that has done tests on the 'supernatural' powers of the hole is Mel. Mel's hole.

I think Mel is talking porkies.

• Advertisement

sonar?

Can Sonar work to such depth. Asking a question isn't an argument, no one can prove how deep the hole is why should I trust that figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Transcripts of Mel Waters of "Mel's Hole" fame :

http://www.seattlechatclub.org/Mel_Hole_Transcripts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Diogenes wrote:
    Mildly curious how did they figured out it was 80,00 feet deep?
    Reading the article would help.
    Mel began a series of experiments with the hole on his property, including one where he lowered a roll of Life Savers into the hole, to detect if any water was at the bottom of the hole, at the end of progressively longer lengths of fishing line, up to the 80,000 foot (over fifteen miles) length of the last attempt.

It seems a bit much though as that would make it potentially deeper than the Earth's crust. How come he never took a photo of this hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Where do you find 80,000 feet of fishing wire?

This has to be a joke. It starts off as a kind of "Ooh, that's interesting", then it goes into "I'm sure I saw this on x-files" territory, and finally, is quite simply a piss take with a little imp that gestates in a dead sheep, and the pops out, has a bit of a staring contest, cures cancer and hopes back into his hole. WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

humanji wrote:

This has to be a joke. It starts off as a kind of "Ooh, that's interesting", then it goes into "I'm sure I saw this on x-files" territory, and finally, is quite simply a piss take with a little imp that gestates in a dead sheep, and the pops out, has a bit of a staring contest, cures cancer and hopes back into his hole. WTF?

Lol, nice one. Post of the day. :D

• Advertisement

humanji wrote:

Yeah, but I'm sure if you buy multiple lines of fishing wire you could tie them together..

So Glad wrote:
    Yeah, but I'm sure if you buy multiple lines of fishing wire you could tie them together..

How much would 80,000 feet of fishing line cost?

And whats to tell that the line doesn't get caught on a ledge a few hundred feet in and just spool on that ledge for thousands of feet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

And no-one took a picture of the holes?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Diogenes wrote:
    Something just under $2,500, by my beermat calculation. Obviously it depends entirely on what you use and where you buy it.
    Diogenes wrote:
    And whats to tell that the line doesn't get caught on a ledge a few hundred feet in and just spool on that ledge for thousands of feet?
    Another beermat calculation yields a total weight of a few kilos for that much line (similar caveats apply). I think you'd know if it was hung up.

Don't get me wrong: I don't believe a word of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

And what are lifesavers that he used to test for water? I thought he was talking about the sweets, but I thought they were like fruit polos, so how do you guage water by them? (unless you're expecting fish to keep sucking them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Diogenes wrote:

What class of fishing rod we talkin about here

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

This is the best thread ever.
    Can the mods move this to AH, please?

Terry wrote:
    This is the best thread ever.
    Can the mods move this to AH, please?

Exsactly! Maybe he used thread? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

So Glad wrote:
    What the ****? This is a weird story, strange, I never heard it being mentioned on Coast To Coast before :S

It's been on C2C a couple of times (they did a follow up interview with Mel!). From listening to the interview, it becomes apparent that while initially plausible, Mel seems to spin more and more increasingly sensationalist claims about the hole in a manner which makes me think he is somewhat histrionic. My conclusion was that it was an entertaining story, but not one I would have any belief in. Read the interview transcripts and you'll see what I mean.

Posted about it in the Paranormal forum about a year ago, gone now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

So Glad wrote:

Oh it's been covered on coast to coast alright, they had a promotion where you could get some sort of audio from the mels hole phenomenon on a CD a couple of years back.

sadly, listening to the show live has become more difficult due to licencing conditions for radio stations in the US. have only been able to hear it on paltalk now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement