Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Firearm Certificates Previously Granted For Pistols

Options
  • 14-02-2007 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Would anyone in the Garda - Dublin Metropolitan Area who has received a firearms certificate for a pistol in excess of .22 calibre please be be kind enough to let me know,

1) the calibre of the firearm
    2) the garda district in which ther cert was granted
    3) how long it took from the application
    4) the make of the firearm

I would like to hear from you all.

thanks & stay safe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NewSigGuy

I received My Cert In early Jan, It is for a Sig 226 9mm, It took about four months. I am ex PDF and I found the FO in my area very helpful.

There appears to be significant differnaces in the application of the Law between the stations around the city.

Keep up the pressure it is possible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Iron. I don't believe it's a good idea to post such info on a public board. Suggest everyone pm you instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

So long as noone posts their personal security arrangements sidney, I fail to see the danger. After all, a palimentary question, which anyone can get their TD to submit, could get the same information quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

And should we do their work for them? Also it's not good to the casual browser who might happen on here in ignorance of the sport and read such info and go: "oh my god, thre are 10 guys in my area with 9mm Glocks and .357 Magnums!!" . It's not a good idea Sparks. PM better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

Yes Good thinking on that one Sidney

• Advertisement

So if the text would scare them, what about this thread then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

It is also a bad idea,
    as are,
    I have this what have you got threads,
    and look at my new ........ firearm.

A few months later you post something unrelated,
    that reveals more about you,
    or somebody tells someone else,
    who that guy that goes by such and such name on boards is,
    and then you might have a big security problem.

Dvs.

Dvs, you're talking about major paranoia about a minor risk there. I don't disagree that personal security is a major concern, nor do I think it shouldn't be; but quite frankly if you think that boards.ie is the sole cause of concern, you're not aware of the extent to which information is available out there right now. How many of us have subscriptions to shooting magazines? Do you trust your postman? How many of us are members of the NTSA or ICPSA or the NARGC? Your name, home address and your occupation must be divulged on request of anyone to those bodies, it's part of the companies act.

If you're worried about being stalked Dvs, worry about stuff like that...

Sparks,
    I am very careful about security in all aspect of my life,
    my involvement in shooting sports is on a need to know only basis,
    the level of my involment in various disciplines in not widely known.

As far as membership of the NARGC,
    sure it's only cos i have and oald shotgun fer rabbits.

But to be honest,
    You give out far to much info about yourself here,
    it would take all of ten mins, to find your house if someone so wished.

And No,
    I don't trust the postman.

Dvs.

Dvs wrote:
    As far as membership of the NARGC,
    sure it's only cos i have and oald shotgun fer rabbits.
    But to be honest,
    You give out far to much info about yourself here,
    it would take all of ten mins, to find your house if someone so wished.
    Dvs, under company law, your name, address and occupation must be kept in the Register of Members of the NARGC (or ICPSA or NTSA or any other limited company) and can be requested by anyone for immediate viewing during business hours. Given that, why would I worry about someone who needs ten whole minutes to find public domain information?

Frankly, if anyone looks me up, they find I have an air pistol, an air rifle, and a .22 in a safe. Why would anyone expend that much effort to go after something so relatively useless for criminal purposes?

Look, security is important. No doubting that. But worry about it too much and paranoia sets in and that holds you back far more than those you really ought to be worrying about. For years, we were a quiet sport and didn't put ourselves out there because of security worries and other fears. In return, we've gotten so small and sidelined that we can be erased almost at will. We need to be out there. We need to be public. We need to be visible and we need it now more than ever. If people knew how widespread we were, we'd have far fewer hassles, I honestly believe.

• Advertisement

Since we've (drifted) on to the topic of security:

Eason are doing a good deal on personal shredders, I got one for €24.99 last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

lads it is not just sparks that lets things slip
    there have been a few insidences over the past few months where we have let things slip
    nothing major though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

Since we've (drifted) on to the topic of security:

Eason are doing a good deal on personal shredders, I got one for €24.99 last week

i wouldnt like to a burgler on the recieving end of one of those thrown at me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ArthurJ

.243 wrote:
    i wouldnt like to a burgler on the recieving end of one of those thrown at me
    I think .243 has a good point there. Are they lethal or less lethal.Lets have a big debate about them dangerous shredder's, what if they got into the wrong hand's. Hang on I think the postie is coming to get me.
    For god sake lad's get a grip. It's no wonder the firearm thing is so screwed up. Look what happened in the state's with commie's during the 50s. It's always the bloody same thing, invent a bogie man, keep the paranoia going.
    " is the postman spying on me, to see if I have a gun, do i need a shredder"
    What a load of bollox.

ArthurJ wrote:
    I think .243 has a good point there. Are they lethal or less lethal.Lets have a big debate about them dangerous shredder's, what if they got into the wrong hand's. Hang on I think the postie is coming to get me.
    For god sake lad's get a grip. It's no wonder the firearm thing is so screwed up. Look what happened in the state's with commie's during the 50s. It's always the bloody same thing, invent a bogie man, keep the paranoia going.
    " is the postman spying on me, to see if I have a gun, do i need a shredder"
    What a load of bollox.

Great stuff ArthurJ,
    Now why don't you post a list of what firearms you have,
    include a few photos, what you do for a living,
    your security arrangements for storing your firearms,
    what car you drive,and your name and address?

Seems like a silly thing to do,
    giving out all that information,
    just because someone on the internet asks....

well, people here on the boards shooting forum,
    have given out a lot of this information,
    without even being asked, over a period of time.

And I don't think the postman is spying on me,
    but I have no reason to trust him,
    anymore than anyone else,
    with my personal information,
    or my private business.

Dvs.

Dvs wrote:
    Great stuff ArthurJ,
    Now why don't you post a list of what firearms you have,
    include a few photos, what you do for a living,
    your security arrangements for storing your firearms,
    what car you drive,and your name and address?

Dvs.

Dvs I'm just pointing out that we have to keep things in perspective. Of course we have to behave responsibly and of course I'm not going to broadcast my personal detail's. It's just that when I read thing's like watch the postman and paper shredder's I get very concerned. It is a shooting forum, people will ask question's. We can answer a post without giving personal detail's or undermining the national security.

If I ever feel that I need a paper shredder, or have to worry about the postman, to protect my hobby I'll pack it in and hand in my firearms.

Paranoia can take on a life of it's own, and that can play into the hands of certain groups. Trust me I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

to get back on topic.... (but I do agree, the security isssues should be addressed ...a sticky maybe?)

from the 10 or so people I know in Dublin with pistols, Tallaght, Dunboyne, Blackrock, Blanchardstown and lucan areas. With a mixture of 38's, 22's and 9mms.
    Walthers, sigs, and smith + wessons mainly.
    Huge difference in licence being issued, 4 days - 3 months.
    All had already had firearms, 22's or shotguns, long term members of clubs etc.

More suburban areas seemed to be less hastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Not using your real name or your initials in your username is probably a good idea too.

mcguiver wrote:
    to get back on topic.... (but I do agree, the security isssues should be addressed ...a sticky maybe?)

from the 10 or so people I know in Dublin with pistols, Tallaght, Dunboyne, Blackrock, Blanchardstown and lucan areas. With a mixture of 38's, 22's and 9mms.
    Walthers, sigs, and smith + wessons mainly.
    Huge difference in licence being issued, 4 days - 3 months.
    All had already had firearms, 22's or shotguns, long term members of clubs etc.

More suburban areas seemed to be less hastle.

Well done mcguiver.

I wonder what causes the big difference in the time taken. Obviously different rules are applied by different super's to different people.
    I wonder if the super's could be polled and asked if the have any problem's with leagal gun ownership to the extent that it prevents them from carrying out their duty to us, the public. Perhap's it's a manpower issue. Maybe we could ask the minister to explain what the problem is. If the same siutation arose in the issueing of driving licence's I think a lot of question's would be asked.

maglite wrote:
    lads it is not just sparks that lets things slip
    Er, I don't know if conciously choosing to release those things is the same thing as letting them slip...

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote:
    Er, I don't know if conciously choosing to release those things is the same thing as letting them slip...
    I depend on you for a bit of sanity. Just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

Ironsight,

I agree with some of the security sentiments so won't give all the info you requested but I have a 9mm and a 40S&W. First one took 3 months and the second took 2 months. I also have other firearms.

Ive never had any trouble getting an FAC but usually send a detailed letter to the Super with as a minuimum the following info:-

Names of CLubs \ Memberships along with copies of membership cards.
    Details of training courses completed and dates \ details of competitons I've entered and the results. Invoice for monitored alarm and full details of home security measures, photo of my (3) gunsafes, ( get the picture !)

The main thing is to leave them with little legitimate reason to refuse you...The Super has to do a CYA exercise. They don't want anything coming back to haunt them further down the road and have to be able to show they covered all the angles. Most are reasonable but there is of course a couple that are less than helpful...On the other side of things you only have to read some of the threads in this forum to see why they are sometimes a little nervous of being too helpful..

One of the things that must be shown in the new regs is that you want a particular firearm for a specific purpose. Make sure you cover that one off - eg: I need a 9mm for IPSC shooting or I need a 6.5 Rifle for Long Range target shooting etc. Whether someone else has one already is neither here nor there as regards whether they decide to issue a licence to any individual.

Advertisement