Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Long to Season Timber

Options
  • 14-02-2007 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

We are planning an extension for this summer and need a beam to carry the roof . We have a 35 yr old beech tree which is shading the apple trees . I don't know the beam size requires , assume 20x20cm .
    Can anyone tell me how long the wood would need to season ( in a dry airy farm building) ? Should we cut to size or leave the bark on during seasoning ? As it will dry out in situ ,what are the consequences of having a high moisture content when we go to build , could a beam warp ? is it very hard to plane ?
    Any help appreciated
    pjq

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would guess that a large tree like that would need many years to season properly and to use a piece of timber as a load carrying member in a house would not be an option for many years.
    I found this in relation to beech seasoning

Ease of Drying
    The timber is reported to dry fairly well at a moderate rate, and requires care in air-seasoning and kiln-drying to prevent excessive shrinkage.
    Shrinkage Green to 12% MC
    Radial = 4.5%
    Tangential = 9.5%

Drying Defects
    The wood is reported to have moderate refractory properties and has a tendency to check, split, and distort during drying. Shrinkage can also be very substantial.
    Movement in Service
    The timber is reported to have very poor dimensional stability. It tends to exhibit rather large movement in use, and requires careful and proper seasoning before application.
    Reading that I would not proceed with using your beech tree to support your extensions roof.
    I would be more inclined to use a gluelam beam as a support if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Nice idea, unfortunatly it would take years as said. Might be expensive but you could contact a merchant who has a kiln and get a price,bare in mind that a pro 'lumberjack'could charge you a fair few bob to fell a tree,especially if it's near your house, and then it would have to be cut to the dimensions you want.Or you could buy a ready dried beam or purlyn which I'd guess would be far cheaper,probably not as nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

it alot of hastle, i know you'd like to say in the future the beams up there came from our tree, but natural seasoning would take a long time, kiln seasoning would be expensive for a one off item like this.
    You would be better buying on beam for this, and I dont agree it weouldn't look at nice, why would it be different?
    depending on the affect you want, glulam might be a better option, look less natural but its machined look can come off quite well in cetain spaces.
    if you want the rustic look go for a timber beam, if you don't mind a machined look try glulam

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

If your preference is for a natural timber beam , then change your choice of timber to wych elm, or common elm, depending on your exact structural requirements.

Elm that has been killed by Dutch Elm disease , is plentiful around the country, and chances are you will find the sizes you need. Standing elm that is dead , may still be perfectly sound timber.

You will find all the suppliers you need on the woodcraft forum, so you might try there. Depending on the time frame requirement for your beam, and its location , its possible to season your own timber , under the correct circumstances of course.

kadman

Advertisement