Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i havent got any friends

• 14-02-2007 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi i moved to Ireland five year im originally from Italy my mum is irish so i have some relations over here. in all this time i wasnt able to make good friends here i dont know im very sad and i miss my friends back home. i do go to college here but people are very cold and older than me. I have a boyfriend but he likes to drink so we dont do much only watch tv. i would like to meet nice girlfriend i need some one friendly that i can talk to. I trieded religious group and maybefriends the online website but i havent meet very nice people maybe is just my luck. if any one have a suggestion where girl can meet and make friends ill be happy to hear from you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I saw your post in the beers thread. Definitely come! They're a great way to meet new people. It's a bit intimidating with it being an internet meet up and all that jazz but they're actually really fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I'm sure you've tried this already but maybe you should try and get involved in some societies in college with people who have similar interests to you. I'd just advise you to get out and do as many different things as possible, I'm sure it'll pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Ciao Stella,

There are plenty of Italians in Dublin if you'd feel more comfortable in that sort of crowd.
    There's a group called Italians, which are for Italians abroad (I think it's from Corriere della Sera).
    Can't find a weblink at the moment, though did find this:
    http://freeforumzone.leonardo.it/viewforum.aspx?f=13145

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I agree with coming along to the beers. It's daunting at first, but you then realise that the fuss was all nothing.
    I've met a fair few people at boards beers that I can be privileged enough to call my friends. Some even have become best of friends.
    So come along, you'll enjoy yourself. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tensecyclist

stella1982 wrote:
    Hi i moved to Ireland five year im originally from Italy my mum is irish so i have some relations over here. in all this time i wasnt able to make good friends here i dont know im very sad and i miss my friends back home. i do go to college here but people are very cold and older than me. I have a boyfriend but he likes to drink so we dont do much only watch tv. i would like to meet nice girlfriend i need some one friendly that i can talk to. I trieded religious group and maybefriends the online website but i havent meet very nice people maybe is just my luck. if any one have a suggestion where girl can meet and make friends ill be happy to hear from you

Hi there!:) Would you like to have me?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

oh put your Pastrami away, tense!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm betting that if you go to the beers and ask for Spanky, (he's a lovely chap) he'll introduce you to everyone and you'll be grand in about 10 seconds.
    I've been to loads of boards beers and they are great fun. You'll be glad you went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭vandermeyde

Have you talked to your boyfriend about your unhappiness?? It can be daunting trying to get out and meet new people so maybe the two of you could try and do more stuff together rather than watching TV in the evenings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 node

Plenty of people here on boards I'd say ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hi Stella, I've never been to a boards beer because I live in England but I can tell you from my time posting on boards that the majority of long-time posters here are people who care about the 'boards.ie community' so they are going to be friendly and welcoming.

So definitely go to the Beers and meet up with a few new people :) Joining some of your college clubs and societies is a great idea. It takes time for people to get to know one another but it's worth it :)

• Advertisement

Hi there!:) Would you like to have me?:D

Hi there.
    Would you like to have a gander at this forums rules and charter?
    B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Hey Stella, just sent you a pm. Basically i'm in the same boat and would love to go to the Beers but hate going in on my own so maybe we could meet up and go in together?

P.S. There seems to be some confusion over the date but I can't make Easter and prob not Sat 24th Feb. Shame!

Look under the System menu (top right of your screen)
    Events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Beruthiel wrote:
    I'm betting that if you go to the beers and ask for Spanky, (he's a lovely chap) he'll introduce you to everyone and you'll be grand in about 10 seconds.
    I've been to loads of boards beers and they are great fun. You'll be glad you went.

Yep, i would agree with that. I went to my first one christmas and was made to feel very welcome.

I was going to suggest finding an italian association, like the french association that exists in dublin, but i think someone has already given some information.

What are you intersted in... why don't you go and do night courses or join a group which shares an interest you have.

You never know it might provoke your b/friend to get off his backside and do somethnig with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

stella1982 wrote:

ciao stella
    I'm italian too and you can join me and my friends when we go out during the weekend. The most of them are italians so you won't feel afraid :) . then you might give a look at www.altrairlanda.it, the web community of italians in Ireland, we often arrange nights out.
    Unfortunately it is not easy to meet irish people in Dublin, maybe they don't like to be open to new friendships so they prefer to stick with their old school mates instead.
    I heard the same complaints from Irish people (coming from the south and the west) and also from other foreigner guys (including scottish and canadians), so don't make it a big issue, I'm sure you will find many friends out there :D

Blackpitts wrote:
    ciao stella
    I'm italian too and you can join me and my friends when we go out during the weekend.

That's a very nice offer Blackpitts.
    Treat her right, cos I'm working on banning people in real life too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Great suggestions. Some fab people in the Boards community.

Stella, you should also start believing in yourself more. You don't seem to be a very confident person. Not everyone at college is going to be stuck-up and unfriendly - in fact, I guarantee that most of them aren't. Maybe your shyness is causing you to give off "I just want to be left alone" vibes. You need to be assertive and put yourself out there. I know this is of course going to be difficult when you're lacking confidence, so why don't you start building it up by telling yourself repeatedly "I'm a lovely, decent, friendly person and nobody's better than me and I deserve a circle of friends just like anyone else" until you genuinely believe this. Maybe consider going to the college counsellor for a chat or two on self-esteem building techniques.

I understand how all of this can make you feel sad, so maybe go to some exercise classes - exercise releases endorphins, the happy hormone. Something like a dance class (there are various types) or aerobics. After a few of them, you'll start to feel brilliant, and of course this is also a way of meeting new people. Also, get your boyfriend to get his ass out there for God's sake! Why should you have to stay in just because he wants to?! Relationships are about compromise. You give a little, you get a little.

Best wishes anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Beruthiel wrote:
    That's a very nice offer Blackpitts.
    Treat her right, cos I'm working on banning people in real life too.
    Well then I'm going to hell soon... They're is a reasonably strong italien population in Dublin, and if you were to go on a Fanta Binge for the night while ur bf goes on a full binge, you could meet sum very friendly ppl... If a West Mayo buffer can be welcomed in Dublin, so can an Italien...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 thedramaticone

ciao Stella! I'm very sorry to read this, but all you can really do in life is push forward and have lots of confidence, I think Dudess's advice is just perfect. In fact, everyone here has done a great job in giving advice, but I'm just writing to offer my support because I also moved here a few years ago (4 to be exact), I grew up in Spain which is like a cousin to Italy yet I also have Irish links since my mum is from here too. I definitely have found that people here can be quite cold. However, I am well integrated into Dublin life and have been lucky to make good friends; perhaps it's a matter of chance that things turned out fine, or more likely that I was 13 when I moved here and went straight into a Dublin school, which made it easier for me. But this still doesn't erase the fact that I found it very difficult at times, especially for the first 2 years. Plus, I still miss Spain every day, and hate the fact that I can't see my friends over there (including my best friend) as much as I'd like to. I like to think I'm happy here but have crisis moments all the time where I just want to LEAVE, and wonder if I would be a different, happier person had I stayed in Spain, or had decided to move elsewhere.

Anyway, if you'd like to send me a private message so we can talk more do, maybe then I could help you more... I speak Italian by the way ;) all the best, baci

Advertisement