Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 PC's in workgroup & sharing NTL broadband via switch, but can't see each other:

Options
  • 14-02-2007 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have been attempting to set up a small home network consisting of three PC's. Two of these machines are running XP (1 pro edition, and 1 Home edition), the third machine is running Windows 2000. All three machines are sharing my NTL broadband connection via a switch(see link below) and each has no problem in connecting to the internet.
    http://www.zonetusa.com/DispProduct.asp?ProductID=63

I have worked through the wizards on each machine to add them to the same workgroup, and set up folders for sharing, but have had no luck in getting each machine to see the other two in the workgroup.

I'm posting this in the hope that someone will be able to help me in resolving this issue. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Regards,

The Thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Do you have a firewall running on the machines? If you do you might need to make a rule to allow access.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yup, most likely the firewalls. Allow the local lan addresses, make sure you can ping each client after that (shouldn't be an issue, but take a step before running) and it'll make life easier if you setup up an admin account on each PC with the same Username and Password.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Put a router between the switch and the NTL modem.
    www.smoothwall.org is great if you have a spare PC knocking about with 2 network cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Just to satisfy my curiosity, could you do the following on each PC:

Start -> Run -> cmd -> ipconfig /all
    And copy&paste the output from each machine here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Hi folks, thanks for the replies - sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

As oisin pointed out it was my firewall that was the problem - everything is working fine now.

Regards,

The Thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement