Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse kept by railway line

Options
  • 14-02-2007 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed horse(s) kept by the railway line on their way to/from Heuston Station? There's a shed at the back of a mid-terrace house with the usual railway line high fence outside it. They've the fence pulled right back and a stable-type door put in the back of the shed, leading out onto the grass embankment above the railway line. It's near Cherry Orchard. Sometimes the horse is looking out over his half-door and other times he's tethered by one leg and standing on the embankment. Is this a good/suitable place to keep a horse? Do horses need more space? How do they exercise this horse? How do they get him to/from the embankment to the front of the houses so that they can bring him anywhere?

I'm not saying he's mistreated or neglected or anything like that. I'm just wondering.

I've also seen a few horses kept in a corner between railway fencing, the railway line and a road junction. Near enough to the first horse, as in still in Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

you should report it, if you go to irishanimals.com there are lists of organisations/spcas which might be able to help. he shouldnt be tethered by his leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I hate to see horses tied by the leg. A guy that used to live near me tied the four legs his horses when it was grazing in the paddock. It was noticed by local horse owners, he was reported and the horse put down. The rope had cut right through each of his lower legs. The horses must have been in a bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Those horses have been there for as long as I can remember.
    They shouldn't be there but if they're not being mistreated then the DSPCA aren't going to do anything about it, *especially* given the area. Let's just say I wouldn't try to take little Micko's piebald pony away without significant backup from the police...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I've seen a horse in a yard from the train on my way into Heuston. The yard had a lot of items that would be hazardous to the horse. I'm going to report it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I don't know if it's still on the go, but there used to be a local organisation in Clondalkin that gave the kids with ponies help and training and advice and vetting and shoeing for their ponies.

A lot of these kids had family who'd been carters anyway, so they had a lot of expert help available, but the fact of there being a club meant they had a sense of responsibility and pride.

irishanimals probably have the name of this crowd; if you can't get it from the, pm me and I'll have a hunt around for contacts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement