Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyogan Garden Waste

Options
  • 14-02-2007 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Ballyogan bring centre have now started to charge €5.00 for garden waste.

This is a rip off considering it was always free and Dunlaoghaire Rathdown has the most expensive waste collection charges in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I paid €15 today for a car load of garden clippings in Ballymount (SDCC) civic amenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

ROVER wrote:
    Ballyogan bring centre have now started to charge €5.00 for garden waste.

This is a rip off considering it was always free and Dunlaoghaire Rathdown has the most expensive waste collection charges in Dublin.

This is a joke. Are they trying to encourage recycling of green waste or fly tipping ? Typical DLRCC initiative !! I'm off to de nortsiode........

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

I see from DLRCC's website notice about green waste recycling charges that they are also selling composting bins at €35 each. I don't know the capacity of the bins they are selling.

Atlantic in Sandyford were selling 280 litre capacity composting bins for €50 each around October 2004.

Subsequently, I think that Atlantic discontinued that line and offered 235 litre bins [easier to fit in cars] at €32 each around March 2005.

In April 2005 I was able to get a 280 litre capacity composting bin plus a kitchen caddy plus a booklet on recycling from Dublin City Council who happened to be selling them at their Ringsend centre for €8 (sic) each !!

Shop around is right ! Could DLRCC not do a bit better on price if they are buying in bulk ??

I think that some local authorities in the UK give away composting bins to encourage householders. Why don't they do that here and give us a break from paying for everything ? Some hope..............

Mod. Could this thread be copied to the gardening and DIY spot as some of those guys might have a few ideas about this topic ? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dinarius

A few points.........

1. The average garden produces more grass cuttings than any other form of green waste. Correct?

2. You cannot put grass cuttings in a compost bin unless you dry them out first since they contain oil. If you do, they will turn to sludge inside the bin. (Do the idiots in DLRCC know this? Or did they think that introducing green waste charges side-by-side with selling bins would be OK?)

3. Since drying grass cuttings is a real pain for all but the most dedicated gardeners (and even for them there are easier things to compost), you have two choices.........

a. Pay the charge.

or.......

b. Cut your grass more often - about every 7-10 days. Set the mower at a higher setting so that it cuts the grass to about two inches and leave the cuttings in place. They will dry out and self-compost where they lie, thus fertilising the soil.

That's what I've decided to do. I will only go to Ballyogan when I cut my hedges - about 4 times a year. This generates a shed load of cuttings which will justify the fiver charge.

One last point......morinicus dunlearicus has decided that a little car van will merit a €20 charge while a Volvo estate will be charged only a fiver. Nice one.

Ask Liz O'Donnell about this when she comes calling.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Does anybody know what they actually do with the stuff, do they compost it or landfill it? I could understand if they composted it and sold the compost to finance the operation but otherwise it's just another tax. The whole attitude to recycling is a joke. We had the situation here in Wexford where people were fined for leaving bottles beside an overflowing bottle bank which hadn't been emptied since Moses was a lad, some of these people had travelled six or seven miles to the bank. Where's the incentive or indeed, logic, in that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement