Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing my router

Options
  • 14-02-2007 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi. This is going to sound like the biggest nerd-linger problem, but I have only a scant knowlege of broadband and the such, so I thought I'd ask those who may know more.

I play a lot of online gaming. Recently my connection speeds have plummeted. I tried every solution I could think of to rectify the problem, even talking to customer support at Eircom who were useful to a point. The download speed I get is about 3 meg, which I know is quite high, but my gaming speeds have suffered for some reason. Somebody on another forum suggested my router may be the problem. I was wondering if it is possible to replace the router box with a non-Eircom one and if that will improve things.
    I have the standard Eircom home package with the netopia router. I use the ethernet connection on it, while another computer uses the USB one.

Basically-

Can I replace the router?
    Will this improve my connection speed to games?
    Can anyone suggest a new product?

Thanks a million for the help. Sorry if this is a real noob problem!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

What do you mean "gaming speeds"? The speed of your downloads doesn't matter what matters is your ping or latency - are you still downloading at 3MB? Can you do some ping tests to see what latency you are hitting to some gaming servers. The usual one given here is jolt.co.uk so open up a command prompt and type ping jolt.co.uk; you can open a command prompt by typing cmd in the run dialog in case you weren't sure. Report your results to see if it's high pings that are messing up with your gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

Did what you suggested. The pings I'm getting on a number of sites are 200+. It wasn't like this last week. All this kicked off last Saturday for no reason. I'm lost.

Advertisement