Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those people...

Options
  • 14-02-2007 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

Anyone want to give storys on the person in the class who ''is better than everyone else'' and is looking to get 600 points and needs to beat everyone in the class at the points.

One in my class has absolutely no freinds, coughs or laughs when someone makes a mistake, and constantly putting down peoples work etc.
    Scary thing is, he's 18.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Girl in my year, can do no wrong. Loads of friends, all the teachers LOVE her, does higher everything, never getting less than a B, and is generally involved in everything you can be within the school. She's so annoyingly perfect!

However, everyone outside her friend group isn't fond of her, personality wise..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Whats wrong with being 18?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

In context, theres plently wrong. Read my post again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Age shouldn't be of relevance... I know 19 year olds who fit that description.

I don't see the point of this thread. Not everyone who is aiming for very high points is stuck up, ignorant of others, friendless etc... I think you'll find a larger ratio of high-pointers are quieter types who are less open about their results.

Even still what's the point in making a thread online to bitch about them?...

md99 wrote:

I don't see the point of this thread. Not everyone who is aiming for very high points is stuck up, ignorant of others, friendless etc... I think you'll find a larger ratio of high-pointers are quieter types who are less open about their results.

Even still what's the point in making a thread online to bitch about them?...
    Why not?

Lol nobody is saying that EVERYONE who studys hard and gets good points is stuck up. Jeez why don't we just close the forum, you can't talk about anything now without people complaining.

Age, is of relevance. 18 year olds shouldn't be that immature to laugh at people getting stuff wrong?

• Advertisement

Thank you spank. There is 3 people aiming for high points in my class that are quiet, and quite sound, but this loud one, picks on me in particular, coughing and laughing when I make a mistake, gets on my nerves.

Thank you spank. There is 3 people aiming for high points in my class that are quiet, and quite sound, but this loud one, picks on me in particular, coughing and laughing when I make a mistake, gets on my nerves.

EDIT :

So an adult acting like a 13 year old is acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Not all top students are loners. For example, the man (cant think of his name) from Kildare who got 9 a1's played Gaelic Football for Sarsfields I think right up until the leaving cert and didnt spend 9 months simply studying. Its all about balance

EDIT :

Of course it's not acceptable, but wasn't this thread meant to be about those who must be better than everyone else... Why are we discussing age maturity? You will get immature people in all ages... Maturity doesn't always come with age. You will get plenty of people in their 20s and 30s who are equally immature. We can't do anything to stop it, it's just the way people are.

If you're in your LEAVING CERT year and 'scary thing is, he's 18' ... What difference should that make? Won't the average student be aged between 16-18 anyway? Why should he start acting maturely once he hits legal drinking age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Well there are exceptions, but most people I know who need very high points basically have no life beyond the confines of the leaving cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

YEah it is the sad but unfotuante truth taht people do not generally mature as much as you would hope.at least thats how it is for me, but my expectations may br too high.

If you're in your LEAVING CERT year and 'scary thing is, he's 18' ... What difference should that make? Won't the average student be aged between 16-18 anyway? Why should he start acting maturely once he hits legal drinking age?
    Well down in County Navan I don't know many immature people over 18. We'll agree to disagree.
    Well there are exceptions, but most people I know who need very high points basically have no life beyond the confines of the leaving cert.
    Lol I'd love to have that dedication.

I seriously feel for people aiming for ridiculously high choices eg medicine, dear God imagine the pressure! Pretty much getting ALL As in your subjects...

It's a ridiculously high standard these days in my opinion. My parents are both doctors and in their day were accepted with Leaving Certs equivalent to 400-450 points nowadays! Another local doctor got all C's in his Cert. How times have changed for the worst!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Oh you're just jealous of our superior intellect....

:p

Seriously though, speaking as someone who would be more academically intelligent than average, it's hard not to come across as arrogant sometimes. Whenever you're in a group of people and they're talking about some difficult aspect of school it's hard to make any sort of comment without being percieved as arrogant.

I've found the best strategy is to offer advice in these situations, by offering help you don't seem arrogant.

On topic, that guy sounds like an asshole.

md99 wrote:
    Of course it's not acceptable, but wasn't this thread meant to be about those who must be better than everyone else... Why are we discussing age maturity? You will get immature people in all ages... Maturity doesn't always come with age. You will get plenty of people in their 20s and 30s who are equally immature. We can't do anything to stop it, it's just the way people are.

Age is irrelevant, I know a guy who is 20 doing the exams as he moved recently from South Africa.
    However, People who arent reasonably mature by 17 really need to cop on, I find it shocking people act like 12 year olds when in fact they are closer to their mid or late 20,s.
    Generally people who hit 18 and become full citizens are and rightfully should be accountable for their own actions as you would expect maturity.

I've found the best strategy is to offer advice in these situations, by offering help you don't seem arrogant.
    I get help from one of the ''Apply for Medicine'' people, hes sound as a bell.

As for the asshole, he actually went through my bag at one stage, looking at the essay i had spent hours on, to see could he do better than me.

God help me

md99 wrote:
    I seriously feel for people aiming for ridiculously high choices eg medicine, dear God imagine the pressure! Pretty much getting ALL As in your subjects...

It's a ridiculously high standard these days in my opinion. My parents are both doctors and in their day were accepted with Leaving Certs equivalent to 400-450 points nowadays! Another local doctor got all C's in his Cert. How times have changed for the worst!
    Not really, the LC has just gotten much easier.

Apparently back in our parents' day getting one A in your Leaving would be a huge achievement.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Oh you're just jealous of our superior intellect....

:p

Seriously though, speaking as someone who would be more academically intelligent than average, it's hard not to come across as arrogant sometimes. Whenever you're in a group of people and they're talking about some difficult aspect of school it's hard to make any sort of comment without being percieved as arrogant.

On topic, that guy sounds like an asshole.
    Me too, most of my friends wouldn't get as good results as me and it makes me feel kind of awkward when we are discussing results and mine are quite higher.

Since when did the LC measure Intelligence, or competency to do more than simply rote learn material off by heart.
    *sarcasm....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: *

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭wba88

As for the asshole, he actually went through my bag at one stage, looking at the essay i had spent hours on, to see could he do better than me.
    are u bigger than him??:D

• Advertisement

wba88 wrote:
    are u bigger than him??:D

Hmmmmm :D

I was asked hundreds of times ''Why didnt you connect with him under the jaw?''

Its a last resort, currently, I ignore him as much as i can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Girl in my year who laughs when people get answers wrong.
    Also does random groans through the classes.
    Mumbles the starts of question without ever finishing them.
    Has an annoyingly squeaky voice.
    Is looking to do some sciency thing in Maynooth.
    Is good at most subjects.
    Throws a hissy fit when she gets something wrong.
    Is like Cassie out of Skins, without the anorexia.

Basically, she's a pain in the ass. But thank the lord she's heading to Maynooth. Maybe the priests'll sort her out or something then...

Maybe the priests'll sort her out or something then...
    Pwned LOL

Naikon wrote:
    Since when did the LC measure Intelligence, or competency to do more than simply rote learn material off by heart.
    *sarcasm....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: *
    Well for a start, Maths and Applied Maths do.

Paper 1 in English and Irish also do(ok you CAN learn off essays and get good marks, but top marks are attained by students who don't)

And in Physics, Chemistry and, I don't do it but probably Biology, you have to rote learn a lot of the courses, but once that's done you have the capability to apply your knowledge.

These people piss me off......SUPREMELY.
    Girl like this in my class aswell, snobby high stakes little cow:rolleyes:.
    God help her when she makes it into the "Real world"(TM):)

All girls in your cases. This **** annoys the head of me.

There's also someone who went on the rampage in the junior cert when she got a B. Year below me though, thank christ...

All girls in your cases. This **** annoys the head of me.

A CHEEKY KNOW-IT-ALL?

Get the shotgun. Only option left...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

EDIT :

There ARE three people, cough, lol!

Seriously, invite the guy to party. Doesn't have to be a real party. If he declines, sorted, if he doesn't you can cancel it. A better suggestion, though, would be to get him pissed or stoned.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Naikon wrote:
    These people piss me off......SUPREMELY.
    Girl like this in my class aswell, snobby high stakes little cow:rolleyes:.
    God help her when she makes it into the "Real world"(TM):)

LoL....you really think these subjects measure someones intellectual capacity?
    Honestly, do you not believe there are other qualities that measure intelligence other than the narrow confines of the Leaving cert exams.

Physics in school is more about getting the answers than critically understanding a concept.
    Sure knowing definitions off by rote makes you better at physics:)

Take a look at Businessmen like Michael Dell, he matriculated but subsequently dropped out of a Biology degree to start what is one of the largest computer companies in the world....he sure as hell didnt learn programming in school.
    pretty stupid guy I reckon:rolleyes:

Advertisement