Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those people...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Seriously, invite the guy to party. Doesn't have to be a real party. If he declines, sorted, if he doesn't you can cancel it. A better suggestion, though, would be to get him pissed or stoned.

Maybe i should get him so drunk, take a few photos and kaboom ;)

Naikon wrote:
    LoL....you really think these subjects measure someones intellectual capacity?
    Honestly, do you not believe there are other qualities that measure intelligence other than the narrow confines of the Leaving cert exams.

Take a look at Businessmen like Michael Dell, he matriculated but subsequently dropped out of a Biology degree to start what is one of the largest computer companies in the world....he sure as hell didnt learn programming in school.
    pretty stupid guy I reckon:rolleyes:

Another thing that annoys me.
    Someone think they are the most intellegent person in the country because they'll get all A's in the LC. :mad:

Plenty of people i know that would know far more than a college boy, only they dont have the certificate to show it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Yeah. Mate of mine got a photo of me hammered and used it as his talking thingy for the french oral. Teacher hasn't given it back yet...

Pwned :D I actually reported this fella once... when i cracked up.

But what difference would it make, how can you telll a teacher that 'this fella coughs every time i speak''

''Maybe he has a cold?''

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Another thing that annoys me.
    Someone think they are the most intelligent person in the country because they'll get all A's in the LC. :mad:

Plenty of people i know that would know far more than a college boy, only they dont have the certificate to show it.

Leaving cert measures your ability to sit exams and rote learn stuff off,kinda whats required for civil service bureaucratic type jobs.
    Third level doesent suffer from this "grinds culture" crap*presumably*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Naikon wrote:
    LoL....you really think these subjects measure someones intellectual capacity?
    Honestly, do you not believe there are other qualities that measure intelligence other than the narrow confines of the Leaving cert exams.
    Sure, but the LC does measure intelligence to a certain extent, and it's the type of intelligence that's generally needed in the workforce.
    Naikon wrote:
    Physics in school is more about getting the answers than critically understanding a concept.
    Sure knowing definitions off by rote makes you better at physics:)
    I agree, Physics is far too easy. But, as I've said earlier, they're making the LC progressively easier, especially in subjects such as Physics where you need logic.

Although, who is more intelligent? The guy who studies his ass off and rote learns the whole physics course to get an A or the guy who understands everything and just has to go over experiments and a few small things to get his A.

One has a will to work and the other has a more logical mind.

Naikon wrote:
    Take a look at Businessmen like Michael Dell, he matriculated but subsequently dropped out of a Biology degree to start what is one of the largest computer companies in the world....he sure as hell didnt learn programming in school.
    pretty stupid guy I reckon:rolleyes:
    I didn't learn programming in school either. However, what I've been taught in school Maths classes and through teaching myself LC App Maths makes stuff like programming much more approachable and managable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Naikon wrote:
    Since when did the LC measure Intelligence, or competency to do more than simply rote learn material off by heart.
    *sarcasm....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: *

Leaving cert measures your ability to sit exams and rote learn stuff off,kinda whats required for civil service bureaucratic type jobs.

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Accounting
    Music

for a start. Sure, you can learn off your phrases for essays/letters etc, but as previously pointed out the only way you're getting high marks is by actually being skilled at the subjects. Maybe I should mention Art and Construction too?

Either way, there's no pulling top grades in the likes of English or French by becoming overacquainted with their textbooks! Even in the likes of Irish or French, a student may manage to deceieve the corrector on paper but your oral examiner will see right through you which'll yank your grade down.

There is of course subjects in the LC that fit your description, History, Biology? But more that don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

People under-estimate about how much there is to music in the leaving cert. I picked it up in 5th year because I play the piano and while it's easier than subjects like maths and chemistry, it's still hard and extremely wide. It's not just listening to a tape etc...

There is ne girl in my who got 11As in her junior cert. She acts so snobby and HAS to be involved in EVERYTHING going on in the school! She is such a lick and makes you feel like crap!

I feel this is a type of bullying, constantly putting people down like this.

True. How to handle it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

Yeah. Those are the ones who sit and shuffle all the pages they've written in their exams... and constantly write for the full time and re-check and re-check and make you feel thick when you finish the paper earlier. Hate them with a passion! I always feel like an ejit all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

The thing I hate most is when the teacher asks them to read out their answer in english and its almost a whole fkin essay ! Feel like an idiot when I read out my 7 line piece of crap.

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    The thing I hate most is when the teacher asks them to read out their answer in english and its almost a whole fkin essay ! Feel like an idiot when I read out my 7 line piece of crap.

LOL! Yeah.. for me its french. Everyone must have like French parents because there french is so much better than mine. I get so friggin annoyed that I spend ages coming up with stuff and get a mere C-. I always hide my results, while their A+ paper always stays open on the desk. HATE THEM!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hey look on the bright side, you've only got to endure them for another 4 months

I think the larger problem is the influence of the parents on these kids, pressure, spending a whack load of money on grinds for them and bringing them up with the '2nd is for losers mentality', also their general attitude will reflect their parents, and a lot of parents are @ssholes

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

This whole threads a bit harsh if you ask me...

Not everyone going for 600 wants to. But some courses in this country simply require it! Not all are unfriendly weirdos...

Besides, I'm sure they'd be much nicer if the class wasn't so slow ... :p

Lol! I'm guessing your on of them Peter...

madgal wrote:
    Yeah. Those are the ones who sit and shuffle all the pages they've written in their exams... and constantly write for the full time and re-check and re-check and make you feel thick when you finish the paper earlier. Hate them with a passion! I always feel like an ejit all the time.

I am one of those people, and for someone aiming for higher points that just makes every bit of sense. They're not doing it to put anyone off or to seem better, just trying to get most value for points.

It makes sense to stay the full length of the exam if you want a good grade. Why give up time that you have with which to correct, look over what you've done or attempt an extra question, increasing your potential mark should you have done badly in another question AND showing the examiner that you really do want a good grade?

You don't have to finish the paper earlier than them. You can keep going if you wish.

Their re-checking and re-reading what they've written is just to ensure what they've written is correct and to eliminate any minor errors they may have made, after all these minor errors can add up to a grade difference.

There is no point complaining, these actions shouldn't affect you during the exam.

True. How to handle it?
    Execution?

Or maybe give them their own wee school?

I'm all for it, but these people who Im referring to, seem to do it on purpose as to show I'm greater than you. If you were in my school. you'd see the division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Execution?

Or maybe give them their own wee school?
    It's called the institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

cson wrote:
    bringing them up with the '2nd is for losers mentality'

Well it's hardly for winners..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

My happiest day will be on leaving cert results day when the person im thinking of gets 590! She will be so so sickened!

Can't wait!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

People under-estimate about how much there is to music in the leaving cert. I picked it up in 5th year because I play the piano and while it's easier than subjects like maths and chemistry, it's still hard and extremely wide. It's not just listening to a tape etc...

There is ne girl in my who got 11As in her junior cert. She acts so snobby and HAS to be involved in EVERYTHING going on in the school! She is such a lick and makes you feel like crap!

the music bit is bang on! this girl thinks she's amazing at music and ya know she's really kind of not!? she's doin singing for her music practical and she couldnt carry a tune in a wheelbarrow... like we used to be friends but this year OH MY GOD. our english teacher loves her (and hates me cos i correct her spelling all the time :p ) and she always reads out her answers and this one sits there goin " oh my god its my answer, im so embarrassed" with a smug grin on her face and she's always implying that she's better than the rest of us... mother of god its irritating as hell! our entire class hates her! in fact most of the year hates her which is unfortunate for her but she really brought in on herself! and she's created a reputation for herself as a complete slut in every boys school in the area which is quite an achievement in itself... and she's a complete lick and does that whole answers questions that someone else was asked or answers questions before the teacher gets a chance to... its gettin very difficult to not hit her! oh and another thing! she keeps tellin everyone about how "ohmy god it was so dificult to fill in my cao cos i mean i could really do anythin, i've just so many strengths" im sorry but who actually says that???

thus ends the rant.

terribly sorry you all had to read that! :D

md99 wrote:
    I am one of those people, and for someone aiming for higher points that just makes every bit of sense. They're not doing it to put anyone off or to seem better, just trying to get most value for points.

It makes sense to stay the full length of the exam if you want a good grade. Why give up time that you have with which to correct, look over what you've done or attempt an extra question, increasing your potential mark should you have done badly in another question AND showing the examiner that you really do want a good grade?

You don't have to finish the paper earlier than them. You can keep going if you wish.

Their re-checking and re-reading what they've written is just to ensure what they've written is correct and to eliminate any minor errors they may have made, after all these minor errors can add up to a grade difference.

There is no point complaining, these actions shouldn't affect you during the exam.

None of the above is meant to be harsh towards all high aimers. Just the ones who boast about it and put down everyone else.

Des Bishop, Fitting In - ''We use them to feel better about ourselves''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rorymcn

Ugh, there was one girl like that last year at my friends school who got 5-something and the night of the results basically attacked another girl who got 440(and worked her arse off at it, not that awfully bright but a dear), she went off crying and now no-one from the year talks to the bitch and apparently no-one likes her in her course. They always get their comeuppance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

This thread reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where Homer would rather have a Crayon lodged in his brain and be a dumbass rather than an intellectual.
    cson wrote:
    I think the larger problem is the influence of the parents on these kids, pressure, spending a whack load of money on grinds for them and bringing them up with the '2nd is for losers mentality', also their general attitude will reflect their parents, and a lot of parents are @ssholes
    Would you share the same contempt for devoted sportspersons who are determined to win competitions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Leaving Cert. only measures a limited range of intelligence (logical/mathematical and linguistic) and a large amount of it is 'learning off'. It's a draw back of the current examination structure, but such is life.

The sort of person who laughs at another's mistakes has extremely impaired interpersonal intelligence and sadly 'in the real world' outside 'education' it is the one that counts.

No one will care in ten years how many points you got, indeed the majority of people do not care now, but if you are an a***hole, no amount of As in your Leaving will make up for it.

spurious wrote:
    No one will care in ten years how many points you got, indeed the majority of people do not care now, but if you are an a***hole, no amount of As in your Leaving will make up for it.

Uh, or the career you get maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

From my experiences the people who aim for the really high points are the ones who work hardest and deserve the benefits when results time comes around. That doesn't necessarily mean they're up their own holes or look down on others. They're fairly civil too :eek: Those that do look down on others for not doing as well as them have personality issues, luckily I don't know any such people.

Leaving Cert isn't the be all and end all. As someone pointed out there, no matter how qualified you may be, if you're a gob****e, no-one'll want to employ you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Would you share the same contempt for devoted sportspersons who are determined to win competitions?

For a long time I was the guy in my group of friends who always pointed out grammatical errors, not even in homework but in general conversation. I would spew out random obscure facts that nobody was interested in, explain jokes that people didn't get and try to point out how much I did not enjoy doing what they did. Was I deliberately showing off? No. Did I want to make them feel bad? No. I was just the smart guy.

So after TY I stopped hanging around with these old friends and tried to spend more time with the other "nerds". That is how people refer to our "clique" in 6th year; the nerds. The other main groups are the hurlers, the rugby players and the skobes. In general, it's only the real low-lives who take the p**s out of my group. The " devoted sportspersons" are disliked by quite a few. The preferential treatment they (the rugby players in particular) receive can be ridiculous at times. The usual rules don't apply to them, and they are hated as a group. Individually they're loved, but together they are far less respected than the smart guys.

Advertisement