Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those people...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Meh my school uses a system in which depending on your results the higher the class you are in, I'm on the lower end of the highest class! ;)

But yeah, we have a few geniuses but they are mainly sound and do that work to get the better grades. One can be a bit snobby but she is generally alright!

No one in our school gets special preferential treatment...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Would you share the same contempt for devoted sportspersons who are determined to win competitions?

I wouldn't say I have contempt, but a sports environment and an education environment are miles apart and i don't think its fair to compare them. I dislike the way our educational system is being turned into a pressurised environment. Its not fair across the board in that those who can't afford the money for extra grinds, revision books, revision courses etc can be outstripped by those who do. Don't get me wrong I don't begrudge anyone these things (they're just lucky to be born into a priviliged background)

I think it was smemon who said it best, something like 'im not in favour of communisn in general but it would be good for the education system' Totally agree with that statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

cson wrote:
    I wouldn't say I have contempt, but a sports environment and an education environment are miles apart and i don't think its fair to compare them.
    Not for those whose talents lie with their intellect rather than sporting ability. They desire to be the best in school because it makes them happy and gives them a sense of fulfilment, same as someone else might want to win a sports competition.
    cson wrote:
    I dislike the way our educational system is being turned into a pressurised environment. Its not fair across the board in that those who can't afford the money for extra grinds, revision books, revision courses etc can be outstripped by those who do. Don't get me wrong I don't begrudge anyone these things (they're just lucky to be born into a priviliged background)
    I agree with you that education is becoming pressurised and it's a bad thing. The LC is constantly made out to be much harder than it actually is and it's all due to media hype and business interest(from grind schools etc.).

However, what you say about money "buying points" with extra grinds and revision books is utter rubbish. I have never attended a grind or revision course, never bought an unecessary revision book and attend a public school, yet I am still performing very well academically. Amongst people I know attending grinds, I have yet to see a significant improvement in any of them. It may seem that those getting grinds do better, but I firmly believe that they would have done just as well without them - it's the higher achievers that seem to take them in the first place(the high profile grinds anyway, like in the Institute)

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Not for those whose talents lie with their intellect rather than sporting ability. They desire to be the best in school because it makes them happy and gives them a sense of fulfilment, same as someone else might want to win a sports competition.

Can i make it clear I have nothing against people who excel academically, everyone is different (7 intelligences and all that) and has different strengths and weaknesses. Anyway the thread isn't about this, its about "those people" which I take to mean students who work excessively hard, are fiercely competitive and boastful in nature. Again i've nothing against 'those people' I just disagree with how some of them go about their business, but hey every school has some and good luck to them and their 600 points or whatever. May they enjoy it. :rolleyes:

JC 2K3 wrote:
    However, what you say about money "buying points" with extra grinds and revision books is utter rubbish.

It was you that said 'buying points', i never said anything about that at all :eek: The point I am trying to make is that in our educational system some students have a major advantage over others. To some it makes no difference, they might be just naturally great (like you seem to be), but to others who might struggle with certain topics and can't get extra tutition for whatever reason, its unfair.

But hey its Ireland and no eductional system is perfect. Anyway back onto the thread topic which was 'those people'.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

'that person' tonight resorted to following me around town :rolleyes:

WHat to do ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Deck him.

Easy as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Anyone want to give storys on the person in the class who ''is better than everyone else'' and is looking to get 600 points and needs to beat everyone in the class at the points.

One in my class has absolutely no freinds, coughs or laughs when someone makes a mistake, and constantly putting down peoples work etc.
    Scary thing is, he's 18.

Is this my good friend?

Yes Roe.

And deck him I will i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

'that person' tonight resorted to following me around town :rolleyes:

WHat to do ?

I suggest one of these will suffice in eradicating your "problem":D

Taser-759036.jpg

Don't resort to violence, you're better than that. All I can say is: TOLD YA SO.

Send him my love. ;)

• Advertisement

haha :D I have used all of my lifelines. Now I'll give him I'll I've got.

Check your inbox :p

Yeah there's a few people in are year that are basically fighting it out for "Student of the year" or something. One girl is arrogant and bitchy as well as acutally ratting people out for things one minute and then sweet and friendly the next. CorruptedMorals, you know what I'm sayin'.

guns don't people, rappers do ;)

cson wrote:
    It was you that said 'buying points', i never said anything about that at all :eek:
    "buying points" is a common phrase. You implied it.
    cson wrote:
    The point I am trying to make is that in our educational system some students have a major advantage over others. To some it makes no difference, they might be just naturally great (like you seem to be), but to others who might struggle with certain topics and can't get extra tutition for whatever reason, its unfair.
    I expressed the opinion that extra tuition tends not to help much(unless the person has a learning difficulty). It's a cop out to say, "I don't do as well as such and such because I can't afford grinds". You do well in the LC through study, and it is those who study effectively that do well. Also, it's the 21st century. If you don't understand something on your course and your book doesn't explain it well enough you have the internet.

To sum up what I'm trying to say, it's only an illusion that it is an unfair system.

Again, the thread topic is not on whether the LC is fair across the board, its about 'Those People', im not getting drawn into an argument with you about whether the LC is fair/its merits etc, everyone has their opinion on it.

Maybe you could question whether this thread is being harsh, but i'd say most schools have some people like the ones described in here

I'd agree with JC except for one little thing. (My opinion) Success in any subject is as what JC said, down to study. However, Maths is a ****, when you can't understand how this and that works etc. The maths books I use are very complicated and don't explain enough.

Maybe you could question whether this thread is being harsh,
    What could be more harsh that being put down buy ***** who think they are better than you?

If only you knew.

It's bullying if you ask me.

yeah but i mean you can't agrue that the leaving is perfect!
    For the defense> in continental europe, when they correct the BAC its a percentage of people who get 'A's and 'B's i.e. they correct the exams and then hand out the grades

For the prosecution> Its becoming very intense, pressurised, competitive, IMO there are too many subjects.

cson wrote:
    Its becoming very intense, pressurised, competitive
    It's also getting easier....

This thread is going off topic(perhaps a mod could split posts into a new thread or something?).

In any case, I think this is more of a PI than a LC topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

This whole thread smacks of jealousy.
    Maybe underachievers who mess in class really annoy the people who work hard and are aiming for high points.
    I can't see why high achievers bother everyone so much. There are annoying people who get 600 and there are annoying people who get 200. Learn to live with it!

• Advertisement

I can't see why high achievers bother everyone so much.
    This thread is not solely about high achievers.

Its about "those people"......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Pythia wrote:
    Maybe underachievers who mess in class really annoy the people who work hard and are aiming for high points.
    I can't see why high achievers bother everyone so much. There are annoying people who get 600 and there are annoying people who get 200. Learn to live with it!

There's always that 'one' guy who completely misses the point. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

Not all top students are loners. For example, the man (cant think of his name) from Kildare who got 9 a1's played Gaelic Football for Sarsfields I think right up until the leaving cert and didnt spend 9 months simply studying. Its all about balance

this boy is in my engineering class.trust me..he isnt the most popular boy, ery few friends and does study alot! i remember in the second week of college, with no impending tests or anything seeing him up in the computer room on his own studying..now not that there is anything wrong with this!
    just that people seem to believe his i didnt study all the time story, when iv seen it to be the opposite first hand so...
    he admitts to even in first year having studied a min of 1 hour a day not including homework so... imagine what he done in 6th year.mabey he took possibly 4 hours a week or something to play gaa or soccer or whatever, but what did he do the rest of the time, i cant believe he ever just crashed in front of the tv for a few hours etc..or had few cans with mates or anything like that! not with amount of study hes admitted he done in 6th year!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

poobum wrote:
    he admitts to even in first year having studied a min of 1 hour a day not including homework so... imagine what he done in 6th year.

Maybe having had a thorough grasp on the basics through his work in first year, he didn't have to study as hard at sixth year.

People learn in different ways and at different speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

spurious wrote:
    Maybe having had a thorough grasp on the basics through his work in first year, he didn't have to study as hard at sixth year.

People learn in different ways and at different speeds.

im not sayin his methods are wrong or uestioning him! just saying he is misleading in how he says he is very athlethic etc,,,,(if u have seen him u wudnt even know he played sports) like i dont mean to come of as putting him down! just that he says to papers he lays gaa n stuff all the time, yet i dont think this is possible considering the amount of time he told the papers he studies etc, unless his life was literally school, trainig study...even then he wouldnt be doing much training...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Yeah. They're ones I can't stand either. Ones who say 'nah, I haven't been studying at all' and you know they're just lying to you. Makes you kinda sick when you have tried to study, ended up getting C's, D's and fails, while they're off getting straight A's by "not studying".

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

I haven't seen anybody say anything nice about that guy who got nine A1s, so here goes. Fair play to him, he went for what he wanted.

See, no begrudgery? It's not really that hard.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054977262

nedward wrote:
    I haven't seen anybody say anything nice about that guy who got nine A1s, so here goes. Fair play to him, he went for what he wanted.

See, no begrudgery? It's not really that hard.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054977262
    Youre another yoke that did'nt bother reading the very first post of this thread.

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote:

Ah now Pythia this is not about people that work hard, it's about people that put others that don't do as well as them down. There's a huge difference. I'm not one to annoy people and mess in class, yet people that are intelligent and KNOW it, then use it in the wrong way i.e: to put their classmates down and make them feel thick, bother me.

Advertisement