Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those people...

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

poobum wrote:
    this boy is in my engineering class.trust me..he isnt the most popular boy, ery few friends and does study alot! i remember in the second week of college, with no impending tests or anything seeing him up in the computer room on his own studying..now not that there is anything wrong with this!
    just that people seem to believe his i didnt study all the time story, when iv seen it to be the opposite first hand so...
    he admitts to even in first year having studied a min of 1 hour a day not including homework so... imagine what he done in 6th year.mabey he took possibly 4 hours a week or something to play gaa or soccer or whatever, but what did he do the rest of the time, i cant believe he ever just crashed in front of the tv for a few hours etc..or had few cans with mates or anything like that! not with amount of study hes admitted he done in 6th year!
    You're forgetting there are a whole 24 hours in a day. During the week if you got 10 hours sleep and spent 7 hours in and travelling to/from school you'd have a whole 7 hours left to do whatever they wanted. So you could crash in front of the TV every weekday for 4 whole hours or use this time to play sport or whatever and still get 3 hours study done. On the weekend you have even more time and could easily get 5 hours done per day without it affecting your social or sporting life in any way.

One thing that really annoys me is people like you trying to justify not studying or doing as well as top students by saying that they'd be missing out on a social or sporting life if they did study more. Why can't people like you just put up their hands and say, "I'm not bothered, they are, that's why they do better than me", rather than trying to put them down for making the effort and doing well.

Now I know he may say, "I don't study that much". But it all depends on people's perceptions of what is a lot of study. Under-achieving students tend to find what I'd consider a very little amount of study to be a lot. For example, you say that he studied 1 hour a day in 1st year as if it is an extremely odd thing to do. 1 hour is nothing, wouldn't affect his social/sporting life in anyway and is a very good habit to get into when young. How many hours per day in 6th year would you consider excessive??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

When I do bother my arse to study 5 hours passes like nothing.

Advertisement