Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

06 VW Passat TDI Prices

Options
  • 15-02-2007 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

I'm finding that the price tag on 06 Passat 1.9 TDI in both comfort and Highline are on the expensive side of things. I'm hunting for either or at the moment but whats buggin me is if I can but a brand new VW Passat 1.9tdi comfort for less than €32000 cash why is it that people/garages insist on looking for over and above the 30k mark for a second hand passat when 27000 would be a more realistic price?

What realistic price should I pay for a (i)private sale or (ii) cash from garages for a 06 Passat TDI Comfort or highline for cash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I think it's to do with the fact they want to sell more new cars than second hand, thus they keep the price up on used cars. People are more likely to jump to a brand new car for only a few grand more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

A quick search suggests you could have an '06 tdi with about 15k on the clock in from the UK for about €26K so that should be your mark.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bbability wrote:
    I'm finding that the price tag on 06 Passat 1.9 TDI in both comfort and Highline are on the expensive side of things. I'm hunting for either or at the moment but whats buggin me is if I can but a brand new VW Passat 1.9tdi comfort for less than €32000 cash why is it that people/garages insist on looking for over and above the 30k mark for a second hand passat when 27000 would be a more realistic price?

What realistic price should I pay for a (i)private sale or (ii) cash from garages for a 06 Passat TDI Comfort or highline for cash?

There can be a big difference in the price people/dealers ask for and the price they actually sell for. All I can say is shop around and haggle hard. I think though €27k is a bit optimystic. Unfortunately VWs have a very overrated image and reputation which is reflected in their resale value. Alot of people are willing to pay a bit over the odds for them based on this preception. Great if your selling one but bad news if your buying.

Generaly a private seller should be asking for around €1,000 less than a dealer considering they are not giving a warranty, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The list price and the actual buying price are different, there's delivery charges and the registration charges to go onto that, so make sure you're comparing the on the road price with the 2nd hand price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

bazz26 wrote:
    Generaly a private seller should be asking for around €1,000 less than a dealer considering they are not giving a warranty, etc.

An 06 Passat will still have one year left (give or take a bit) of manufacturers warranty so a dealer selling one won't offer an extra warranty.
    The private seller is actually going to make more out of the sale than the dealer seen as the dealer will have overheads and have to pay vat and paye on the earnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

$Leon$ wrote:
    An 06 Passat will still have one year left (give or take a bit) of manufacturers warranty so a dealer selling one won't offer an extra warranty.
    The private seller is actually going to make more out of the sale than the dealer seen as the dealer will have overheads and have to pay vat and paye on the earnings.

If I were spending €30k on a car privately I would expect to pay alot less than a dealer's price as I am taking the extra risk. Problems resulting from lack of maintenance or neglect by the previous owner are not covered under the manufacturer's warranty. A dealer would be obliged to sort these things out if the car was bought from them. You would have no comeback from a private sale as "buyer beware" and "sold as seen" applies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not so sure about that Bazz.

I'm selling a €30k car currently privately. It's never had a service as it's not due one yet, and has a manufacturers warranty for another 14 months. Lack of maintenance therefore is not an issue.

I've priced it a little below what I think a dealer would take on a straight cash deal. Not too much below however.

For a canny buyer, who should at this level of cost get a full inspection carried out as a matter of course before buying, there is no additional risk whatsoever in my view.

Advertisement