Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-slabbing ceiling - any pointers?

Options
  • 15-02-2007 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi there

Looking to re-slab my kitchen ceiling prior to skimming. It's 16ft x 11ft 4". Any pointers?

A couple of things that have been said to me are to
    • Stagger the joins - to avoid cracks running across the ceiling
    • Use galvanize nails so they don't rust
    • Use stanley knife to cut one side then break

Anything else to add to that or elaboration on them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

use a screwgun if possible with 50 mm screws minimum. Mark your timbers and pull chalk lines if neccessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Much better of using plasterboard screws, they wont pull loose and let the skim flake off like nails will

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Buy a small Surform file 2" they are the best thing to trim boards.
    Make a deadman to support the board while you work with it, a 4 x 2 with a 3ft t section added to one end will do, as long as you can jam the slab against the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

tcs wrote:
    Stagger the joins - to avoid cracks running across the ceiling
    At least a 250mm overlap, more if possible
    tcs wrote:
    Use galvanize nails so they don't rust
    Or srews as others have pointed out
    tcs wrote:
    Use stanley knife to cut one side then break
    I watched a pro over the weekend just using the tip from a measuring tape, to cut the paper on one side, the break. Saved having to marg a line as he just used the block of the tape measure to hold the tip the right distance

Advertisement