Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor PAYG "GPRS Authentication Failed"

• 15-02-2007 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Been using Operamini and Gmail app as for a few months now, and it was all working well up to yesterday. Swapped batteries today and have been getting "GPRS Authentication Failed". Not saying they are connected,maybe.

Anybody else having problems today with PAYG Meteor GPRS Authentication?

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Em sounds like you have the username or password entered in incorrectly in the connection settings. I know you just changed the battery but if it is saying that when establishing the gprs session....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

No, it's either a phone or a network problem (maybe local!) Since my first post I managed to check my email over gprs, and run operamini sucessfully, but the Gmail app gave the "GPRS Authentication Failed" message.

Now since receiving your reply just checked again and none of the GPRS apps work. All giving "GPRS Authentication Failed" message.

time for bed now anyway, so will see in the morning

Copied from thread: Irish Operator Settings
    ISP GPRS
    Profile Name: Meteor ISP
    Connection Type: GPRS
    APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: isp
    IP and DNS are supplied on connection.

Don't understand this one, like I said all I did was change the battery. Anyway I've solved the problem by entering :
    Username : ISP
    Password : My
    that is the reverse of what is stated in the thread above. As I think I originally got the settings from here and they worked without a problem for months I don't understand why they now work in the reverse order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

There were ISP issues with Meteor yesterday. Should be working okay now.

chrislad wrote:
    There were ISP issues with Meteor yesterday. Should be working OK now.

You serious!:eek:

Yesterday was the first time I changed the battery in my phone. The phone worked fine afterwards, didn't even loose the time, and then the GPRS didn't work so I thought my settings had been lost in the change-over. The GPRS wasn't working today at 2PM, but got home checked the setting for Meteor here on Boards , then entered them in the reverse order as stated in last post., and then all three apps worked again,Gmail,operamini, and POP mail.

All very weired; are these Meteor pwd and usernames setting irrelevant?

• Advertisement

I honestly don't know. I would assume that they can check whether a number is on Meteor and should be allowed to access the service which would render the need for a username/password unnecessary.

Nice to see that Gmail app is working though. They must have done updates as it never used to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Ye lads seem to know more than the 1905 people so I'll ask here as I'm having an almost similar problem.

I can't connect to GPRS/WAP from my phone. Just bought a new Sony Ericsson W300i and it's giving me all sorts of issues with net connections.

First, they tell me to goto the homepage and download the settings to the phone, to no avail.

Second, told to email a blank picture to my phone, once again didn't fix anything

Call back a third time and told I need to setup my email on my homepage via my computer before I can check ANY email on my phone, knowing this sounded off because how does setting up my meteor mail effect my other POP3 accounts I dunno, so I try that and still no go

Then told to browse to some page via WAP, however, my WAP isn't even connecting - I see the globe next to my signal bars telling me I am PAYING for net access, but the screen sits there with a hourglass and nothing happens.

Same thing happens when connecting to POP3 or when I use my Gmail app to check gmail - they all time out.

Tried even going to the link above (Irish Operator Settings) and entering those settings for my data connection settings but still no joy.

Really DON'T want to call back yet again and have yet another eejit sit there and go through his cookie-cutter call list of 'things to try' (that won't work) on my phone.

Any suggestions about how to get my phone connected? Are there other GPRS/MMS settings that can be used as secondary if those fail (my phone has a section for secondary settings which is why I am asking).

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

try downloading the settings from the sony ericsson website here:
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=ie&lc=en&ver=4000&template=ps1&zone=ps&lm=ps1

and see if that works.

the meteor website sends the wrong settings for the w810 so it might send the wrongs ones for the w300 too. iirc the problem was it didn't have the username and password. in the internet settings the user and pass is "my" and "wap" and in the mss, its "my" and "mms". (without the quotes of course)

CptSternn wrote:
    Second, told to email a blank picture to my phone, once again didn't fix anything
    Really DON'T want to call back yet again and have yet another eejit sit there and go through his cookie-cutter call list of 'things to try' (that won't work) on my phone.
    Any suggestions about how to get my phone connected?
    Cheers.
    Have no personal experience of SE phones, so can't help specifically there.

Two points:
    1. It's possible to collect any POP emails, i.e. ***@eircom.net,etc through the phones inbuilt WAP browser. You have to set up the details of the account you want this to work for on the www.mymeteor.ie site.
    2. To get full internet access from your phone , you have to ring 1905 and have it enabled. Getting this message through to a Meteor customer care rep can be difficult and might involve some persistance and the patience of a minor saint. Full internet access is not the same as WAP/GPRs access.

The main thing I would check for yourself is your sim card. Take it out of the phone, check the numbers on it. If it doesn't start with 0522, go to a Meteor store and ask for a replacement sim card to update your sim as it can't connect via GPRS.

• Advertisement

Cheers. I'll give those a try sure and post back to let everyone know what worked!

-S

So I spent an hour on the phone with 1905. Again. After once again being walked through all the same settings, questions, and what not by the exact people who really don't know what they are doing, my case was refered to the technical department.

I asked to have full internet installed and have it activated so I could use my phone as a tethered modem for my laptop.

After a few hours a customer service guy rang and said he had new settings, gave me the security code, and I was able to get the 'new' phone settings on my phone.

That being said I now can plug my phone in and use it as a modem. Of course, per their website Meteor charges €4.95 per meg for data transfer, so I won't be using this feature after all. In fact, I plugged it in to test it, brought up Hotmail, then it told me I was out of credit, even though I had just topped it up $5 before I plugged it in.

That being said, POP3 access still doesn't work and now the built in browser also does not work. Funny thing though - when I try and access the browser or POP3 now, it DOES charge me, sits on the hourglass for about 2 minutes, then gives me a 'connection error'. Even if I cancel, the little WAP conection icon stays in the upper coner, and yes, I still get billed. So everytime I make a change and test it, it costs me about €1.

So I called back again, this time explaining that the tethered modem feature worked, but now all the other stuff isn't working. Once again, they tried to convince me it was a 'bad phone' and I need to return it.

Note this is the 3rd W300i they have switched out for me - whenever they can't figure out why they can't configure the phone, they blame the handware and give me a new one. Sad thing is the lads at the phone shop can't even transfer my settings, so each time I have to manually back it all up via bluetooth at home if I don't want to lose my data.

I did note that my gprs data connection settings switched to the ISP.MYMETEOR.IE as listed above, but that being said I still have no browser or POP3. Guess I'll take it in, again, and see what they say.

Advertisement