Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plug & Play Problem

• 15-02-2007 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Oh to hear the familiar bink-bonk noise once more, that reassuring acknowledgement that Windows is at least awake. No more.

I attempted to use an old fuji digital camera as my new webcam (it's bulky and the battery's crap but the image quality, even in webcam mode, is superb). So off I went to install the usb drivers. Cue badness.

Windows attempted to recover from a disastrous crash, there were worrying and ominous looking error messages everywhere. The laptop slowed to a crawl. The entire audio drivers set disappeared meaning no volume controls, no sound full stop.

So I reinstalled the audio drivers and went after the fuji drivers with a pickaxe.

And I may have been to zealous. The device manager ended up empty and the usb ports worked no longer. Only the advice here put the content back into the device manager.(http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1134095035)

USB devices now show up nominally in the device manager. But they don't work. For example, my standard logitech webcame which worked perfectly a week ago is dead in the water. The light flickers on on connection but disappears instantly. The logitech programs have a blank blue screen where once my ugly mug dominated. And skype has a **** attack on attempting to start video.

Anyone have any suggestions? :(

Cheers
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

System Restore to just before you "manipulated" your computer to start with. Should sort out the Device Manager issues I should think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Excuse my stupidity here. I saw that system restore is active but i hadn't set any system restore 'points'.

Does the system set them automatically? How do I get access to them?

Rolling back to the day before yesterday would sort everything out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

you should be arrested for PC molestation. :D:D

If the system restore doesn't work have a look at your BIOS settings for USB ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

maceocc2 wrote:
    If the system restore doesn't work have a look at your BIOS settings for USB ports.

Bios settings for USB ports. I know what the Bios is. I know what the USB ports are. How do I check what the settings are? Press F8 on startup and go in that way? What am I looking for?
    maceocc2 wrote:
    you should be arrested for PC molestation. :D:D

I suppose I got a bit smug with hijack this. I've used it many times before to clear rubbish out but clearly I hacked something off there that I shouldn't have (or maybe I'm giving myself too much credit. The fuji drivers clearly messed up some drivers so maybe it was that).

To cut a long story short - I was very angry and drunk on cava last night. :)

Advertisement