Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret Spots & Naming

Options
  • 15-02-2007 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Just curious what peoples opinions are on naming unknown spots on this forum and on forums in general and telling other people spots to surf,

i surf tramore on a regular basis and iv been out on crowded days and it really doesnt matter to me, tramore is always crowded as it is an advertised surf spot.

i dont really worry to much about people dropping in on me either, am i just a push over or do you guys think this moaning of crowds and moaning about naming secret spots and moaning about people dropping in on each other is over rated.

I dont mind someone dropping in on my wave aslong as it is done safely and the person in front does there best to give the person on the wave behind them space.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I think the "secret location" crap is bullsh*t. Waxing car windscreens? Those guys in inch in Kerry are going to wax the wrong c*nts car and get their faces kicked in.

Sport and pastimes are to be enjoyed and shared. The sea is everyones, not to be hogged with a threat of violence from a pack of hicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

"Secret" sounds like such a ridiculous word and it doesn't really mean the same thing in relation to a surf spot. They're never actually secret, usually they're just spots that works in rare conditions. It's the place that you know that will work when everywhere else is blown out. Why would you ruin that by telling the world and their mother? And before you say it doesn't ruin it, it can. Certain spots will only handle a small few people at any one time. I know of one spot in Cork that is only worth it when there are less than 5 or 6 people out, any more than that and you might as well look elsewhere. The more people in the water, the less chance you've got of getting your waves. Sometimes you can't even get a wave to yourself, which would piss anyone off.

It's not always a case of surfers not wanting anyone else to surf their spot. Often times it's due to limited access or access over private land. There are spots where a few guys have made agreements with occupants who have no problems with a few lads using their land. But they would probably have a problem with a few hundred lads using their land. I know a spot where a lady lets a few lads park in her driveway, she doesn't mind as long as people are respectful and don't block her or anyone else in. Now imagine if a few car loads of lads decided to show up there.

Another issue is ability. Usually "secret" spots are a little heavier than the well known ones. A surfer of limited ability taking on waves beyond their abilities is not only putting themselves at risk but others in the water too. Even if you don't get in any trouble you're probably just getting in the way of the more experienced surfers.
    I don't think anyone has problems with crowds or drop-ins in places like Garrettstown, Inchydoney or Tramore for example. It's a different story on a reef or point though where people can get fairly seriously hurt.

Another problem is to do with ettiquite. Travelling surfers pissing off the locals will only lead to aggro which just adds fuel to the fire. Guys don't appreciate it when a quiet session with your buddies turns into a circus with the arrival of busloads of surfers. If you are going to travel in groups, don't all descend on one spot all at the same time.

There's also the argument about spoonfeeding people. Some people really know their "secret" spots really well, they know exactly what conditions/tides it works best in, where to paddle out, where to exit, where to sit etc. They've often spent a lot of time and effort getting a spot wired. And that's part of the enjoyment of it. Doing it for yourself.

Localism for the sake of it is bull**** (you don't live here you don't surf here kind of crap) and it's just down to a hick mentality. a lot of the time there's no good reason for it. But it's not the same thing as "secret" spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

surfer of limited ability taking on waves beyond their abilities **************
    thats a load of b*ll**k uou need to push yourself, if more irish surfers challenged them selves we would be the best,as for locaislam that doesn't argument doesn't hold cuase you get all the country punpkins living in dublin hogging our roads and public Transport along with out houses and apartment wingin when we go west take we take theri waves BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

ted you seem to be getting a little tempered, i can see enygma's point, like really if i decided to push myself and surf aileens the next time its going of it would be clearly a bad idea, i do agree with him that surfing outside your ability is a bad idea, i remember a day a friend toom me out on a certain reef when i was starting and i really had no business there i still dont know how i came out of it alive, lol, so whats the story with dropping in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

There is a certain element of adventure associated with surfing and naming spots kind of takes from that.
    I think there is no harm in telling the people you like to surf with about a new break but posting on the internet to a group of randomers is a bit different.
    There is enough well known spots on the west coast to keep all levels of surfers happy and those who go looking for new breaks should be rewarded with an empty line up.

As for dropping in, everyone has dropped in on someone/been droped in on at some stage. It's frustrating and feels like being trapped. Just say sorry and move on....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

so should naming of secret spots be banned from this forum, i think the general rule on other forums is if its not in wave finder guide or stormrider its not mentioned, think its a good rule!

Whose our mod????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I don't think the mod of this forum agrees with that particular rule. In fact, when I PM'd him about it he posted this:
    Basically I'm saying that if someone posts up a name of a lesser known good surfing spot, they should not be flamed, or given abuse.
    It is a persons right to share their knowledge, and intimidation won't be tolerated on this forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054984219

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

A person can put up the name of any surf spot they like, if they like.
    (Once it is a publicly accessible point, where people won't be trespassing/etc)

Just don't be getting all pissy and flaming each other over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Even though as a surfer I don't agree with it, this is a Forum: A medium for open discussion according to Dictionary.com, and I suppose its not right to make other rules for surfng posts.
    Just have to hope members have a bit of disgression. I have personally never seen a named spot on a forum so I don't think its anything to worry about.

Advertisement