Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the North-West going ??...

Options
  • 15-02-2007 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

ARE WE A BUNCH OF PLONKERS ?

In the North-West we have a lot to offer anyone, be they someone looking for a decent place to live, or a business looking for a cheaper better environment in which to prosper.

Yet, we are losing out 'Bigtime'. WHY ?..

We have a young well educated population, with little to do.

We have space, we have grants, we have housing, we even have local authorities who grant planning permission for commercial developments which 'ON APPEAL' are overturned by An Board Pleanala, against the most basic criteria of job creation and a sustainable base for community survival !.

What do you think ?...

P. :cool:

N.B. Is Dublin stuck in a time warp of keeping Donegal and the N.W. down, at any any cost ?...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

One Word Paddy. INFRASTRUCTURE!
    Up until recently there were crap roads and no other means of getting here!

In the last few years the N15 has seen major changes and improvements just like Sligo has with the Inner Relief Road.
    You can now fly from Donegal to Dublin or Glasgow and you can fly from Sligo to Dublin (And Manchester later this year hopefully!)
    BUT.
    -The roads are not fully up to scratch yet.
    -There is no (proper) rail service

In my line of Work I travel around the Country a lot.
    If i'm heading to Letterkenny/Lifford I get in the car.
    If i'm heading to Galway/Limerick/Cork I get in the car.
    I have very little choice! I would gladly use a rail service to any of thee places if one existed! The Bus service to Letterkenny (Feda) is geat but thats about it! Bus Eireann buses do not appeal to me at all!

I also think it's crazy that there is no flight from Donegal/Sligo to Kerry/Cork/Shannon. Even one every other day? I think it would make sense!

Anyway. Look at investment and development around Dublin. It has spread like Wildfire! "New Dublin" consists of Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Wicklow, Louth.
    Talk to (some) people in Dundalk or Drogheda and they'll tell you that it's too much - too fast!

We don't want to go down that route either!

Truth is that the North West has only found it's feet in the last ten years. Maybe things are just starting slow!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pinkie1

Being from the north west and living in dublin, i have seen donegal come on a lot in the last few years alone.However all my friends from home are in dublin now but if we all went back and got a good job it would be the perfect!
    it's just so very sad that we all had to leave in the first place to make the most of our qualifications

Advertisement