Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slight Movemnet in Floor Tiles

Options
  • 15-02-2007 9:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,
    We had our bathroom floor tiled last summer and we have recently noticed that there is a very slight movemnet in a few of the tiles near the door, and some of the grouting has cracked. Does anyone know if there ia any way of fixing/repairing this without pulling them up and retiling?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Probably not. It sounds like you have movement in whatever the tiles are laid on or incorrect adhesive was used.

Did you lay the tiles yourself or get a "pro" in to do it. What are the tiles laid on. Timber floor, yes?

Sounds like a re-do to me.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

If the tiles were laid straight onto floorboards, they'll have to come up. The correct procedure for laying tiles in a situation such as this is to put down plywood on top of the floorboards first which will give you a level base with no movement, and thus no cracks in your tiles. This is assuming that you are talking about an upstairs bathroom of course. If you have a bungalow, then poor adhesive is your problem and is easily fixed by lifting the tiles, removing the old adhesive and replacing it with fresh adhesive. Relay the tile, grout and you happy.

I was a novice tiler until recently, now I know it all:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Canary144

Thanks for the info. Its an upstairs bathroom and we had a "Pro" to put it down, and there was definately chipboard put down first. Seems to be the main cental area of the surface so maybe able to get away with just taking up half a dozen as they are quite large. Any tips for getting them uo withourt damaging them? Also, can you recomend an adhesive and grout for such a surface? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Chipboard....hmmmm. Sounds like he didn't use enough screws or didn't bother with screws and used nails instead.

There is a flexible adhesive that is especially formulated for putting tiles on timber. Any tile shop/hardware store will have it.

You could try replacing the loose tiles but I'd expect the movement will continue until the subfloor is lifted and secured correctly.

If he did use the correct adhesive, you will find it very difficult to lift any tiles without damaging the chipboard/plywood that is down, meaning you will have to replace the whole lot anyway.

Can't you get your pro back to fix the problem? If he is decent/honest he should do it no problem.

Advertisement