Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scja/scjp

• 15-02-2007 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

I finished college 3 years ago and have spent most of the past two years working in IT but not in a development role. At the moment I'm trying to get back into java/web development. I was quite proficient with java and still am but have the feeling I might have a difficulty convincing any new employer of it. Would you recommend the SCJA/SCJP as a good refresher/qualification to have under your belt? Also, could it be done through home study and then just sitting the exams in a prometric centre?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If your going the development route then skip the SCJA. Do the SCJP instead as its more geared for developer. SCJA is more for manager role who needs to understand the material without having to actually program.

Yes it can be done with home study if you have some java exeperience already. It is not easy, you do need to study as the exam will ask you questions on stuff you would never need to know normally.

1.4 Version of the exam is more focused on multi-choice questions. If your good at memorising stuff then this exam would be easier then 1.5

The SCJP1.5 is more code centric. You won't get it by memorizing as a lot of the questions are code related (you have to fill in the blanks of the code). Because of this it is the more preferred.

If you do plan to study at home I suggest the following.
    1. http://www.jchq.net/
    Its for all the Sun Java courses, covers what is out there, what to do study for the exam and you can talk to people who took the exam.

2. "Sun Certified Programmer for Java 5 Study guide - SCJP"
    ISBN: 0-07-225360-6

Brilliant book written by people who actually helped build the exam. Very good resource material for the exam.

3. http://www.whizlabs.com
    They sell mock exam simulators that can learn where you are weak and train you. I've used them for a few exams and its my personal preference as being very good. tells you where you are weak, and when you fail a question why you failed it and where to study. Scoring is on-par with the actual exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

Thanks Hobbes,

Looks like I've a bit of work ahead of me then!

Dan

Advertisement