Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil heating Boiler?

Options
  • 15-02-2007 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the ballpark for replacing a central heating oil fired boiler? 1000-3000?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

This depends on the size of your house, the level of insulation, and to a lesser extent, if the heating system can be zoned.

We are building a 2,600 sq ft house and we bought a new oil fired boiler capable of heating this space. We have put in a lot of insulation to keep heating costs down and we'll also have it zoned so we don't have to heat the entire house, i.e. at nighttime, the bedrooms get heated and during the day, they don't.

Our boiler cost €1,500 plus another €400 for pipework and fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seems cheap so far we've been quoted 2000-2500. House would be about 1600-2000 sq ft. detached. Its an older house about 20yrs old.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

This depends on the size of your house, the level of insulation, and to a lesser extent, if the heating system can be zoned.

We are building a 2,600 sq ft house and we bought a new oil fired boiler capable of heating this space. We have put in a lot of insulation to keep heating costs down and we'll also have it zoned so we don't have to heat the entire house, i.e. at nighttime, the bedrooms get heated and during the day, they don't.

Our boiler cost €1,500 plus another €400 for pipework and fitting.

It sounds like you are replacing an existing boiler, if so, none of the above should make a difference because all the work has already been done. You just need to get a new boiler with the same output, it isnt a hard job but if the boiler costs 1500 add on a few 100 for fitting, so like said above <2k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Will also depend on old the system is. If it needs to replaced such as radiators and pipes then it will cost more. Alot more work involved.

Yeah just replacing an existing boiler. So over 2500 is expensive then. What about running Kerosene of home heating diesel? They had been using the latter for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

replaced a boiler 18 months ago put a full metal chimney and had to replace expansion vessels as well cost about 1800 euro including boiler (and run on diesel its dirtier but you actually use less fuel according to the flow rates on the boiler manual)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

TheNog wrote:
    Will also depend on old the system is. If it needs to replaced such as radiators and pipes then it will cost more. Alot more work involved.

It really should matter how old the systems is, unless it is ancient, there is no reason to replace a radiator unless it is leaking, or you were taken in by some dodgie sales tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

BostonB wrote:
    Yeah just replacing an existing boiler. So over 2500 is expensive then. What about running Kerosene of home heating diesel? They had been using the latter for years.
    2500 is an average price - you should always replace the circulating pump if it is more than a few years old - and the expansion vessel, if you have one.
    All modern boiler/ burners are set up for kerosene and run better with it. Also, if you have the boiler against an outside wall, you do not need a flue with kerosene.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

JamesM wrote:
    2500 is an average price - you should always replace the circulating pump if it is more than a few years old - and the expansion vessel, if you have one.
    All modern boiler/ burners are set up for kerosene and run better with it. Also, if you have the boiler against an outside wall, you do not need a flue with kerosene.
    Jim.
    Jim,

I'm in my house 11yrs with same boiler, circulating pump & expansion vessel.
    I'm having no problems with any and dont intend on replacing the boiler any time soon, but would you recommend replacing the pump or just running till bust? What about expansion vessel?
    I would be fairly confident I could replace the pump as I did one once before but not the EV.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Jim,

I'm in my house 11yrs with same boiler, circulating pump & expansion vessel.
    I'm having no problems with any and dont intend on replacing the boiler any time soon, but would you recommend replacing the pump or just running till bust? What about expansion vessel?
    I would be fairly confident I could replace the pump as I did one once before but not the EV.
    Unless you can hear the bearing rattling or it has been sticking, I would not replace a pump. I have know pumps to last well over 30 years.
    The diaphragm across the centre of the expansion vessel can tear. You can sometimes tell by the sound at either end of the vessel, if this has happened. One side has water in it, the other, air. If you tap it with something metal, you will hear a light sound where there is air and a dull sound for water. If there is water in both sides, you will have no expansion and can have trouble with air building up in the system.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Why are you replacing your boiler as a matter of interest? Is it leaking?

JamesM wrote:
    Jim.

Theres already a flue and a boiler house. Most quotes I got were 1800-2000, with one exception being 2500 or thereabouts.

Why are you replacing your boiler as a matter of interest? Is it leaking?

It burst. Its ancient anyway.

BostonB wrote:
    Theres already a flue and a boiler house. Most quotes I got were 1800-2000, with one exception being 2500 or thereabouts.
    Whether you use a flue or not, you should use kerosene, it is more efficient than gas oil (diesel). You will aiso find that your new boiler is at least 20% more efficient than your old one.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

Get an oil CONDENSING boiler ( from GRANT for example). More expensive but far more efficient.

Echelle wrote:
    Get an oil CONDENSING boiler ( from GRANT for example). More expensive but far more efficient.
    More efficient, but probably not FAR more efficient. And much more expensive. But then, over the 20 year life of a boiler - maybe worth it.
    Jim.

Advertisement