Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 1 series

Options
  • 15-02-2007 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

The mot is after a new car and was thinking about a BMW 1 series. 2005 116 SE i believe.

Anyone any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

pros: BMW, rear wheel drive which is nice.

cons: too pricey for what it is, even SE model is under-spec'ed.

test drove one a few months ago but it felt too "cheap" inside if you know what i mean. went down the years and got a 320ci which all extras for the same money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 POLO9N

BEING IN ONE WEEKS AGO, U get the solid quality feel as most BMW, the image u get owning one.nice leather heated seat, but no air con
    it ain't too bad but only say its over priced if u don't mind paying the money!
    is a beemer no matter wat!

RWD which is good.

Brilliant BMW dash, spec levels and trim is good.

Its a 4 cyl 1.6 which I feel is a bit underpowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Spec on the 116i SE is :
    4 Cylinder 1.6 115Bhp engine, a '05 model will have the 5 speed box.
    Climate Control
    MFSW
    PDC
    Full Electrics
    PS
    Front Fogs
    16" Alloys with Runflats
    Tyre Pressure Sensor
    ABS
    6 Airbags
    Traction Control
    Auto-dimming interior rear view mirror
    Door handles in Body Colour
    CD
    iPod connection
    Trip Computer
    Follow me home Headlamps
    Cornering Brake Control

Buying one that's 2 years old is a great idea. It'll have done most of it's major depreciating, and will keep a stable residual value up until year 4/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A small point, but bear in mind that the ipod connection is in reality only an aux in jack, meaning that you cannot control the ipod through the stereo. Full ipod connectivity will cost you around €600 at the dealer.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    Full ipod connectivity will cost you around €600 at the dealer.

Full ipod connectivity will cost you around €300 at the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

What iPod Integration from these guys?

http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm

$159 + delivery. It allows control of iPod from steering wheel, song names etc. display on radio display in car, also charges the iPod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

they are too expensive IMO...and will probably not hold their value that well

what kind of Mini would she get for her budget...now they are nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Lex Luthor wrote:

I'd agree with this. The Mini is a far better buy for the money.
    I'd go as far as to say anything is a better buy for the money.

ned78 wrote:
    Full ipod connectivity will cost you around €300 at the dealer.
    Maxwell quoted me around €600 only yesterday, said there was a good deal of stripping involved. Although if the car in question is out of warranty then i'm sure it could be done cheaper elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    Maxwell quoted me around €600 only yesterday, said there was a good deal of stripping involved. Although if the car in question is out of warranty then i'm sure it could be done cheaper elsewhere.

If it's a 1 Series you have Anan1, you shouldn't be paying more than about 300 Euro.

Lex Luthor wrote:

What budget are we talking about, early twenties?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Could never warm to the looks or interior of the 1 Series to be honest.

Personally if I didn't need the space I would go for a MINI instead, if I did need a bit of space I would save a bit more and go for a 3 Series.

ned78 wrote:
    If it's a 1 Series you have Anan1, you shouldn't be paying more than about 300 Euro.
    I was enquiring for a new 3 series with Logic7, i'd assumed they'd all be roughly the same. Perhaps not.:)

Anan1 wrote:
    I was enquiring for a new 3 series with Logic7, i'd assumed they'd all be roughly the same. Perhaps not.:)

Definitely not I'm afraid. Especially considering you have Logic7, if yours is either an e46, or e90, you need to leave it cooking on the diagnostic equipment for a while to upgrade the firmware in order to accept the iPod interface. It's a little easier on the 1.

ned78 wrote:
    Definitely not I'm afraid. Especially considering you have Logic7, if yours is either an e46, or e90, you need to leave it cooking on the diagnostic equipment for a while to upgrade the firmware in order to accept the iPod interface. It's a little easier on the 1.
    It's not mine, it's my mother's, delivered yesterday. Given that she doesn't yet know what an iPod is, I guess we'll let the hare sit for a while.;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ronoc wrote:
    RWD which is good.

Brilliant BMW dash, spec levels and trim is good.

Its a 4 cyl 1.6 which I feel is a bit underpowered.

Brilliant dash? I sat in a brand new 116 last year and thought the dash was cheap and nasty. And I was driving an Astra at the time so that'll show you just how cheap and nasty I thought it was.

As regards RWD - I can't see the advantage in a 116 to be honest.

I'd echo some of the sentiments above - drop a couple of years and get a 3 series if you want a BMW, or look at alternatives such as a Golf GTi or Audi A3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'm with Paulo on this one - the dash is nasty in the 1 series!
    I couldn't believe how bad it was when I sat in one, cheap and hard plastics ahoy! Flat, cheaply upholstered seats. Even the magazines say "quality interior" - I don't get it.
    Granted, I'm in an Audi A3, with one of the best interiors in the class, but the 1 Series wasn't even up there with my old MK1 Focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

As someone who has liked BMWs ever since I was interested in cars, I have absolutely no time for the 1series. It has no back seat space, the quality of the interior isn't great, and oh my god is it ugly IMO. It has run flat tyres which from what I've heard are supposed to be rock solid over the bumps. It is completely overpriced, and if it is such a great car, why are BMW bringing us a new version in March, only 2 1/2 years after the original was launched? Truely great BMWs could go for 4 or even 5 years before a facelift(E46 3 series got a facelift after 4 years, E39 5 series got a facelift after 5 years). Added to that is the fact that the non SE versions are following a long standing BMW and indeed German tradition of providing nothing at all as standard relative to the price you pay(to be fair the ES has most of the things people need, and this tradition seems to be going away in general). The 1 series would never have sold if it wasn't a BMW. If it was say a Ford, people would have seen through its failings from day one. Do yourself a favour, buy a proper Beemer, like a 3 series, who cares if its older, its still has that 'must have' BMW badge, its a much nicer car inside and out IMO, or buy a bigger and better car, like a Mondeo/Passat/Avensis or save a small fortune and a cheaper (and better) Focus/Golf/Astra(an excellent car, better than the press say it is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm not a big fan either tbh, they remind me of a Mazda 323F.:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement