Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to view a house tomorrow

Options
  • 15-02-2007 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Tis my first viewing for a purchase.
    Does anyone have a list of questions to ask? Or is there some sort of checklist somewhere?

I'm not sure really, I guess stuff like gas/electricity, local amenities, transport, maintenance fees........

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

most viewing that i went to where open viewing you just go in and walk around and see if you like the house first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I'm looking atm too. I started a few weeks ago, no idea what I was doing. The first mistake I made was going to look at places without really knowing what I was looking for. So I would look at a couple of houses and then a couple of apartments and some were nice and some were not nice. I was never sure what I wanted and what I did not want.

So the first thing you want to get sorted in your head is the items you want in/near a gaff [if you don't know already of course]. For example, I don't drive, so I don't care about car parking, but would need optional parking for guests [but Im not paying 20 grand for the space], where you might have a partner and need 2 permanent spaces.

As I dont drive, I always ask about the various public transport options. What busses go, and what are they like evenings/weekends? [Lived somewhere in London where the bus was great peak time, but did not run evenings and weekends, leaving me with lots of taxi bills]

I always look in every press and cubard at ground level, looking for traces of vermin, or rat poison etc. I lived in some dumps in London, and don't want to share a flat with anything furry again :)

I always have a walk around the area for a while before or after the viewing. One place looked great, but it had 20 or 30 kids playing outside later on. I know its irrational, but that would be a bad mark for me as huge groups of kids like that get up to mischief [but that could be a good mark for other folks, who had kids, where they dont want my boring building with professionals]

I now have a series of questions I ask people regarding those items I want, and indeed a few things I don't want in/near any place I buy. The thing is, the things I'm looking for would mean nothing to you and yours may mean nothing to me.

You have to ask about maintenance fee's; and make sure ask what they were in past years [have they doubled over the last few years?], not just next year, too. I ask who looks after them. Its not that I do anything with the info, I just google the company name [if its a RD party company], if I found a load of bad comments about them then that would be a massive black mark.

That all said - I would be interested in seeing what other folks look for and ask..

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Super stuff mate. Some of the will be very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pinkie1

hey
    i bought an apt last year and after a lot of looking you learn what needs to be checked.It is very important i think to arrive well in advance and walk around the area - i had a few nasty shocks but its better to know!beers cans utside the bedroom window are not a good sign for example!!
    Also better to take public transport there so you experience it and see if it is to your satisfaction with frequency etc.
    One thing i would note is that if the place is freshly painted, this could very well suggest concealment of damp/cracks . you should feel around the windows for damp cos there is nothing worse!
    check the tidiness of outside area- is rubbish collected and is it well maintained-this gives an idea as to how good the management company are- they are mostly awful.
    turn on taps to ensure that that water pressure is ok.
    If it is a house it is important to check the drains/spouts- i don't know bout this but just a suggestion.- you could ask agent i guess...
    i would tap on the walls where you would be joined by neighbours to get an idea of noise level- IE is the wall thin where you would be beside neighbour? So maybe you will expect noise?? again this is just to help you decide.
    I would also ensure that you have enough light coming in through the windows.
    Check outside if there could be potential building in the future- this would lead to more noise and perhaps less light coming in.
    i could go on all day but i don't wanna bore you but you should not make any hasty decisions- i checked my place out a few times and visited the area too- going to the local for a scoop is a great way to get a feel for the local people.
    good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

Moved to our 2nd home a couple of years ago....looked at a load of houses, here are some things that I found useful

- Buy a compass. If you are getting a place with a rear garden, very useful to find the correct orientation. Got a SW facing place this time, makes a HUGH difference.
    - Drive around on a sat night, see what the place is like. Call into the neighbors. Ask them what the neighborhood is like, etc. Also, scope them out, could be important if semi/terrace/apt, 6 screaming kids, etc.
    - Some other posts are recommending checking out the condition of the place. Get a general view, then get an expert surveyor in, don’t do this yourself. My mate bought a place and the whole extension has to be pulled down!

Joe

Advertisement