Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help needed for expressions/translation

• 15-02-2007 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

A couple of things have come up for me in my learning recently that I can't understand. One of them is the expression 'tá na sonraí chuige seo': I'm not sure what the 'chuige seo' really means...

Also, can you say 'teacht i dteangabháil linn' instead of 'teangmháil'? I've seen it written somewhere like this by a fluent speaker but couldn't find 'teangabháil' in O'Donaill...

And lastly, can someone translate 'cén chás é dá dtiocfadh sí lena brúcht flosctha féin agus gan a bheith fiosrú céart a bhí in iogán a comhluadair'. I can't make sense of this!

Thanks for your help ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

pog it wrote:
    A couple of things have come up for me in my learning recently that I can't understand. One of them is the expression 'tá na sonraí chuige seo': I'm not sure what the 'chuige seo' really means...

"For this purpose"? Would that make sense in the context?
    Also, can you say 'teacht i dteangabháil linn' instead of 'teangmháil'? I've seen it written somewhere like this by a fluent speaker but couldn't find 'teangabháil' in O'Donaill...

That's an epenthetic vowel (guta cúnta). Brief explanation - it's an extra, unwritten vowel that's inserted between certain consonant combos for smoother flow. Some info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_orthography#The_epenthetic_vowel
    'cén chás é dá dtiocfadh sí lena brúcht flosctha féin agus gan a bheith fiosrú céart a bhí in iogán a comhluadair'.

That's weird! Maybe sth along the lines of "why doesn't she stick with her own outpourings and not bother with others."??? But I don't know really, what's it from, what's the context?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

hm, so it seems they were a little tricky to work out. thanks so much simu, you've been a fantastic help.

yes, the 'for this purpose' (chuige seo) seems right: the whole sentence was 'tá na sonraí chuige seo breactha ar bharr', which I'm assuming meant the details are attached over the page, etc.

So would the 'abh' not normally be written then? as in teangabháil. teangmháil is more common written down isn't it? I'll look at that link you posted as soon as I get a chance :) Sounds interesting.

And yea your other translation fits into the gist of it. It's on one of the extracts on the Easyreader package for learning Irish, and the sentence before that was talking about how she talks a lot..too much. Was from one of Joe Steve O'Neachtain's short stories methinks.

anyway thanks a mil! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

pog it wrote:

So would the 'abh' not normally be written then? as in teangabháil. teangmháil is more common written down isn't it? I'll look at that link you posted as soon as I get a chance :) Sounds interesting.

It's teangmháil in Ó Dónaill (although the main entry is under teagmháil) - the guta cúnta (the extra a you were enquiring about) is not written. They're fairly common - you'd also hear, for example seanbhean pronounced seanabhean, dorcha as doracha and so on.
    And yea your other translation fits into the gist of it. It's on one of the extracts on the Easyreader package for learning Irish, and the sentence before that was talking about how she talks a lot..too much. Was from one of Joe Steve O'Neachtain's short stories methinks.

Ah, ok. I'm more used to Munster Irish tbh!

Advertisement