Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf rattle, insanity approaching

Options
  • 15-02-2007 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Right, I know this is a longshot but.....

There's a rattle in the front right of my Golf mk4 GTI. It seems to be coming from deep in the dash (maybe further into the bonnet) on the very right hand side past the steering wheel and dials etc... I can hear it whenever the car is sitting idle i.e; low revs. I'm guessing it's because at lower revs sitting still / moving slowly the car would vibrate more?

It's driving me nuts and I need it gone! Anyone ever had similar or know how to locate rattles successfully?:confused:

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Have a listen from outside the car, see if you can hear it then. It may be coming from the engine bay, in which case a mechanic should be able to sort it out. If not, you'll have to assume it really is something loose in the dash. This may not be much help to you, but I once posted a similar query on a Delta integrale board populated by some very knowledgable people. Their unanimous advice was to turn up the radio.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've seen some Golf's with rattles form the instrument cluster. Try gently pressing the 'glass' cover in fornt of the dials and see if that helps. Another popular rattle in a Golf/Bora is from the centre console and is hard to locate - it sounds like it comes from deep in the dash but it actually comes from the left hand side of the dash where it meets the centre console (above the ashtray, in front of the gear lever - its the gap between the dash/console - jam it with some similar coloured fabric and it will stop.

Best of luck - rattles just do my head in!

If all else fails get a kick ass stereo and turn up to 11 :D

EDIT - Anan1, you got there with the stereo suggestion before me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Have you tried emptying all your personal belongings (CD's, coins etc) out of the car and then driving it?
    Had a customer call into me one day complaining that he heard a banging sound every time he accelerated or braked in his new car and was very worried about it.
    Quick spin round the block and it turned out to be caused by a can of deoderant rattling in the pocket on the drivers door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

haha yeah. To be honest I think i'm going a bit deaf from having the radio turned up all the time. Ideally i need it rid of because I tend to focus on small things like that which eventually drive me round the bend.

Either that or say hello to mr.Crowbar

Advertisement