Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Civil War Antiques/Deacts

Options
  • 15-02-2007 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi there!
    I've noticed a few muzzle loader and black powder threads on here form time to time and as i know next ot nothing about them i'm hoping y'all can help.

A friend of mine is very interested in the American civil war and would like to obtain a few of the firearms used on both sides at the time either as replicas or deactivated antiques.
    Does anyone here know of dealers here or abroad that would be able to handle this sort of thing?

I have made it clear that these will require proper firearms/deact certs even though they are not usable.

Any and all information greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

de_shadow wrote:
    Does anyone here know of dealers here or abroad that would be able to handle this sort of thing?

Hi,

The only replica/deac shop I know off the top of my head is a place called Blunderbuss in Marylebone High Street in London, W1. He has a load of old stuff from muskets through to modern day stuff. I think this is the online side of it. Whether they will be able to help you or not I don't know.
    http://www.blunderbuss-antiques.co.uk/shop/shop.php

Hope that helps...

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

Thanks Trojan.

i've had a quick look through their website and it sems to be a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

ASFIK if they are the genuine article made pre 1865[???]they do not need any liscensing or deacting under Irish firearms law.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

You could also take a look at http://www.michaeldlong.com/ They would have Springfields from time to time. The Confederates also used Enfields imported from England, there's usually a few of these in their stock.

The threshold date for an antique is 1845, a bit early for the American civil war but there are ways of holding these weapons without full firearm cert, with the approval of your Superintendent. You should inquire at your local Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Aye. Authorization can be got easily for em that dont allow ammo. Have to be pretty broad as some of these older yokes dont have serial numbers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement