Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student push for Bohs support

• 15-02-2007 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Joxer shows how it's done
    New DCU student society BohsSoc (Bohemian FC Supporters' Society) held a special promotion yesterday. Joxer Kelly, Harpal Singh, Conor Powell and Darren Mansaram all came along to help out, as part of the league-wide promotional campaign.
    IMO, it's good to see the league and clubs put a bit of effort in here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I was talking to a few of your people at the FAI thing last Friday in the Airport Great Southern, they were talking about this.

I thought it was a great idea tbh.

The more clubs can do to garner support the better.

We can all rant and moan about 'barstoolers' and 'bandwagoners' til we're blue in the face, but if we don't do something about it, then we are pissing into the wind imo.

Fair play to Bohs for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Remember a few of the players coming to UCC after they won the league.

No Cork City society in UCC, very hard to get around the charter apparently. However CIT have a society up and running and they organised a bus for the Pats away match last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

seansouth wrote:
    I was talking to a few of your people at the FAI thing last Friday in the Airport Great Southern, they were talking about this.

I thought it was a great idea tbh.

The more clubs can do to garner support the better.

We can all rant and moan about 'barstoolers' and 'bandwagoners' til we're blue in the face, but if we don't do something about it, then we are pissing into the wind imo.

Fair play to Bohs for this.
    Cheers!
    There was a great response, with a good few signing up. It was heartening to see that there was genuine curiosity and goodwill, and that not everyone has that instant anti-Irish football reflex we've come to expect (mostly from our media).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I remember bohs tried a campaign like this a year or so back by trying to become the local team of immigrants to Dublin. Good luck to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Very very simple idea, cost effective and hopefully it works. Just a pity its taken so long for someone to show a modicum of innovation.
    SectionF wrote:
    and that not everyone has that instant anti-Irish football reflex we've come to expect (mostly from our media).

Seriously fella, I know your intentions are pure but lose the attitude. You sound so defensive every time you talk about the domestic game (maybe borne out of years of experience), I'm sure its very off-putting to the casual observer (i.e. your target market).

Doesn't bother me, cos I'll be a Shels fan anyway, but it would endear me if I was on the periphery. Show some positivity about the game instead of constantly having a pop, it will help sell the product...and that is what the league needs to do, sell itself as a product.

• Advertisement

Very very simple idea, cost effective and hopefully it works. Just a pity its taken so long for someone to show a modicum of innovation.

Seriously fella, I know your intentions are pure but lose the attitude. You sound so defensive every time you talk about the domestic game (maybe borne out of years of experience), I'm sure its very off-putting to the casual observer (i.e. your target market).

Doesn't bother me, cos I'll be a Shels fan anyway, but it would endear me if I was on the periphery. Show some positivity about the game instead of constantly having a pop, it will help sell the product...and that is what the league needs to do, sell itself as a product.
    Hold on a second. You quoted the bit that suited what you wanted to say, and you left out the main part of the sentence, which expresses my delight at the reaction to the initiative.
    We can go round in circles with this if you like, but what I was saying was that one's impressions of contempt for the home game, as seen in sneering media coverage and absent supporters, was nicely counter-balanced by the positive vibe at the event.

SectionF wrote:
    Hold on a second. You quoted the bit that suited what you wanted to say, and you left out the main part of the sentence, which expresses my delight at the reaction to the initiative.

Sort of proves my point though, doesn't it? Can't say something positive without having a pop, its like you're a coiled spring waiting to explode.

Have to say, I think you're the one who's having the pop, but I'll let it go, because I don't think it's worth debating. If you want to discuss how eL supporters should approach winning backing for the game in Ireland, I'd be happy to contribute to that in a separate thread, provided you are also willing to do suggest how to do something concrete about it.
    Suffice to say that the main thrust of the event was extremely encouraging and positive. We signed up a lot of new members, felt a lot of goodwill, and the players seemed to make a genuine impact.

SectionF wrote:
    Suffice to say that the main thrust of the event was extremely encouraging and positive. We signed up a lot of new members, felt a lot of goodwill, and the players seemed to make a genuine impact.

See? There's something positive...:D

What can EL fans do to convince people to attend games? Start by not lecturing them. I've a certain affinity to GAA, my old man was a huge fan and after he passed away the local club named their ground after him...I still switch off when any of them start to bawl me out for putting so much time into soccer..both domestic and foreign...

I started playing semi-regular football with mates and was told I should be turning out for the GAA 2nd team instead..."we need lads like"...:rolleyes:

I'll leave it there, can't be arsed trying to change your mind TBH.

Advertisement