Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Niagara Falls, Canada 500K Cycling Challenge

Options
  • 15-02-2007 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Just came across this today. I'd be very interested in doing it but €5,000 seems like alot to raise. I suppose it could be broken down to €850 a month for 6 months but still. I would probably make a relatively large donation myself to start with because I'd be afraid of people not donating thinking that they're paying for a holiday for me.

Have any of you ever done on of these charity events and if so, how did you find the fundraising? What fundraising events did you do? Do you need a licence to collect in public?

http://www.cmrf.org/ContentBuilder/DisMidFrame.asp?Module=DATA&DATAID=DA000109

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

5k is quite a lot. Particularly if go for small collections.

Sponsorship cards are best done if you take the money only when offered. Too often you can be promised more and then there can be a little bit of lapsed memory when collecting. Very frustrating.

Collecting on the street requires a license. See local gaurds

I recently was in charge of a scout collection and we averaged 1000 euros per shopping centre. That took the bones of 150 people each doing from an hour to 2 hours each. It needs organisation and is hard work particularly when weather is unkind.

At work you will find a reasonable return for your effort.

Consider targeting 10 companies for 500 each. Have a T - shirts made up with their logos and your charity. Get members of their staff to collect on your behalf.

To raise this type of money, you either get someone to seriously bankroll you or you really graft to get the money.

remember you can get the dosh, but a bit of persistent selling is required.

I tend to do a few charities. I ask how much is the minimum they want and deliver exactly that.

Also be prepared to take a little flack for going on a fancy cycling holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

If you can get a license from the Gardaí and permission from a pub manager, a walk around somewhere like Café En Seine would bag you many euros.

Think well-paid tossers trying to impress dolly-birds with their generosity.

Apologies to anyone who regularly drinks in such places. But it's a good bet for some serious dosh in no time at all. Good luck with the fundraising if you go ahead with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

sounds like a great trip. My cousin cycled coast to coast in Canada. I would love to do something similar but I made a deal people years ago that if I insist on doing silly things I'm not going to come hounding them for money.

Is there an Irish equivalent to justgiving? I'll sponsor you a few quid if I can do it from my armchair:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

beans wrote:
    If you can get a license from the Gardaí and permission from a pub manager, a walk around somewhere like Café En Seine would bag you many euros.
    I wonder would walking around in your lycra bike gear (black shorts, colourful jersey) be even more impressive?

Advertisement