Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trek 5000 or Planet-X

Options
  • 15-02-2007 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Given the choice between the following two specs at the same price, which would you choose and why?

Trek 5000

Frame: TCT Carbon
    Fork: Bontrager carbon
    Rims/Wheels: Bontrager Select wheelset
    Tires: Bontrager Race Lite, 700 x 25c
    Crankset: Bontrager Race
    Chainwheel: 52/39/30
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
    Rear Cogs: Shimano Ultegra, 10-speed: 12-25
    Shifters: Shimano 105 STI
    Handlebars: Bontrager Select w/BzzzKill
    Stem Bontrager: Select
    Brake Levers: Shimano 105
    Brakes: Cane Creek SCR3
    Saddle: Bontrager Select
    Seat Pos:t Bontrager carbon

Planet-X

Full Carbon frame with Planet X full carbon deep bladed 370g fork.
    Shimano 105 STis, mechs, cassette and chain.
    FSA Gossamer Pro crank and External Mega Exo BB.
    Planet X Superlight team bar
    Planet X 3d Forged stem
    Planet X Superlight Team Chromo saddle
    Reynolds Alta Comp wheelset with Vredestien Ricorsa tyres
    Tektro R720 brakeset (black)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

trek 5000 going cheap http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15326

i'd personally go for the trek but i dont know that much about bikes anyway.

i was thinking of buying a 5000 in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

I bought the Planet-X bike before Xmas, but since I was one of the first 50 buyers, I got the bike with full Integra instead 105. It cost about €1500 and I think postage was €75 to dublin. Back then the Planet-X was a clear winner, but not sure now, since parts on both are roughly equivalent.

I think Trek is about €1475 plus free postage so on cost that your best bet.

I'm very happy with the quality of my buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'd go planet-x, if for no other reason than Ivan Basso

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i don't like the trek for some reason, i looked at these and also the focus cayo off wiggle for £999. all very nice and the focus/planet x gets good reviews. In the end I got an allez expert with full ultegra (but it's not a carbon frame) for the same price so went with that..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Christ with Chain Reaction giving another 10% off on top of the existing 25% discount those Trek 5000s are looking very attractive at ~£880 (€1,330.) Anyone have any other suggestions/vendors?

• Advertisement
Advertisement