Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How old is too old for Disco Dancing?

• 15-02-2007 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

And don't give me that "Oh Pighead, you're never too old to go to Disco's" crap. Of course you are. Lets face it theres a certain age where old people stick out like sore thumbs and there comes a moment when they suddenly lose their ability to dance in time to the music.

Pighead is sick and tired of decrepit old farts complaining about the decibel levels or tut tutting at the suggestive dancing on the floor. Suggestive dancing should never ever be tut tutted at.

Pigheads no spring chicken anymore but when the time comes I'll hang up my Disco Shoes with grace, you won't see me hanging out in Leeson St Wine Bars dancing with chicks young enough to be my daughter. Its all about self respect.

Personally I think the bouncers should start asking for ID to prove you're under the age of 33 as well as over 18.

So what age do you think the oldies should stop clubbing?

When should the oldies hang up their disco boots? 57 votes

30-35
    0%
    35-50
    33%
    ButcherOfNogD-GeneratepeteswesCalidenRbfunk-yousqurmPlugNephewPigheadphantom_lord[Deleted User]triple hcognoshunnymonsterHaven't a ClueGhost TrainOrdinary man 19 votes
    You're Never too old ya big eejit.
    15%
    Nightwishcounty5starpoolhiscanKeith CredzerdrogOverhealSteyrFutureman 9 votes
    When you reach Beruthials age.
    36%
    Karl HungusMossy MonkTom DunneBorzoiRuu_OldBeruthielmanonthemoonradiospanthewingPonsterCionnHoward the Duck[Deleted User]Irjudge1frobisherGLaDOSdameJellomickithgreine 21 votes
    Roll on Pancake Tuesday
    14%
    azezilSposstuxyUnpossibleTime MagazineNalaEndurance Man[Deleted User] 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

35-50
    pighead wrote:
    Lets face it theres a certain age where old people stick out like sore thumbs and there comes a moment when they suddenly lose their ability to dance in time to the music.

Some people never had this ability.

Anyway voted option one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

35-50
    petes wrote:
    Some people never had this ability.

Anyway voted option one.
    Really? How tragic. Without the ability to disco dance I am nothing. How do these people cope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The ole' Dishco dancin'? Shure, me and Mikey-Joe Lyons are 70 and 73, and shtill goin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you have to ask yourself "Am I too old to go disco dancing?", then you are too old to go disco dancing. Even Disco Stu should quit sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Roll on pancake tuesday?

I eat rolls most days, and I think Pancake Tuesday should be a day for pancakes only.

When is Pancake Tuesday anyway.

I'm too sexy for this party, no way I'm disco dancing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

biko wrote:
    If you have to ask yourself "Am I too old to go disco dancing?", then you are too old to go disco dancing. Even Disco Stu should quit sometime.

That the OP is calling it "Disco" dancing would suggest he should have quit about 15 years ago! :D

35-50
    smcgiff wrote:
    That the OP is calling it "Disco" dancing would suggest he should have quit about 15 years ago! :D
    Oh is that right mcgiff? Well what do you call it then tough guy? Listen pal, you may be full of pills and have a fat frog in each hand but at the end of the day its still a D.I.S.C.O. Rave me bollox, clubbing me arse. Disco forever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Anybody who remembers "raves" is no spring chicken either.Standing in muddy fields with the eyes popping from your head while being stung by wasps,searched by the filth and embraced by complete strangers is getting on for twenty years ago at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Wake up in the morning with a head like ‘what ya done?’
    This used to be the life but I don’t need another one.
    You like cutting up and carrying on you wear them gowns.
    So how come I feel so lonely when you’re up getting down?

So I'll play along when I hear that special song
    I’m gonna be the one who gets it right.
    You better move when you’re swayin' 'round the room
    Looks like magic’s only yours tonight

But I don’t feel like dancing
    When the old Joanna plays
    My heart could take a chance
    But my two feet can’t find a way
    You'd think that I could muster up a little soft shoe, gentle sway
    But I don’t feel like dancin’
    No sir, no dancin’ today

Don’t feel like dancin’, dancin’
    Even if i find nothin' better to do
    Why'd you 'break it down' when I'm not in the mood
    I'd rather be home with the one in the bed till dawn, with you,

Cities come and cities go just like the old empires
    When all you do is change your clothes and call that versatile.
    You got so many colours it'd make a blind man so confused.
    Then why can’t I keep up when you’re the only thing I'd lose?

So I’ll just pretend that I know which way to bend
    I’m gonna tell the whole world that you’re mine.
    Just please understand, when I see you clap your hands
    If you stick around I’m sure that I'll be fine.

You think that I could muster up a little soft shoe gentle sway
    No sir, no dancin’ today.

Rather be home with the one in the bed til dawn, with you oo oo

You can’t make me dance around.
    But your two-step makes my chest pound.
    Just lay me down as you float away into the shimmer light.

You'd think that I could muster up a little soft shoe, gentle sway
    No sir, no dancin’ today.

Rather be home with the one in the bed til dawn, with you.

Even if i find nothin' else to do
    Rather be home with the one in the bed til dawn, with you.

Nightclubs are for late drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

35-50
    according to experts old age officially begins at 35 years of age.

now i reckon people should stop disco dancing or clubbing between 33 and 35. I also see no harm in a person between the age of 35 and 45 going disco dancing (if they are young at heart) every so often, but, and i stress but, but only if they are with a big group of people, friends and family members and they are out for a special reason.

I think it is shocking to see old farts out dancing with young ones, it does not look right.

Now there are people older than 40 and i am sure they love to dance, i dont know where they can go, but if someone loves dancing they should dance, but not in a night club.

I love dancing, i am no good, but you know the old saying 'white men cant dance' they also say white men cant jump, but i dont belive that as i can jump very very high, no kidding. Anyway white men have no style on the dance floor, we think we do, but we dont.

I love the dance floor, the fog in the air, dance music and the green laser lights, but i have given it up since last year. i dont know if i will ever go back to it. i dont think so. But people give up when they feel old, for example my brother, he is 24,he had a child two years ago and he said since his daughter was born he feels old on the dance floor and he gave up going out clubbing. he may go back to it someday, but i reckon not. he goes out in a big group ( mentioned above) and i am in that group. I am older than my brother, i dont feel or act as old as him.

Where am i going here, ah, i'll stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I'd like to dance more, but an old war injury to my back* seems to be preventing me from doing so.

I'd generally say that anything over 35+ is a bit auld, that said until I reach 35, then the rules will inevitably be changed. All opinions are out the window at a wedding though... I feel like dancing dancing woohhoooo :p

*can be changed to knee, ankle, arm etc depending on mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're Never too old ya big eejit.
    biko wrote:

Disco Stu never quits the disco; Disco Stu is the disco ;)

I dunno I work in a club so I've seen it all:

Conclusion?

Ask not how old must they be to stop dancing; ask at what age they should stop staring at your girlfriend from the dark corner of the bar..... :confused:

and FYI: nobody who works in the service industry enjoys entertaining a Hen Night. *shudders*......

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You're never too old piggie.
    After all, when you get to be an OAP you don't give a flying fuk what some 20 year old thinks you should be doing with your twlight years.
    When you reach Beruthials age

You can still catch me jumping around to Metallica for Whom the Bell Tolls or AC/DC's Whole Lotta Rosie - how could you not in fairness?

Ibid and Sposs you've just gone on my 'LIST'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

27 I'd say, you probably wont look odd until after 30 but I sincerely hope that by 27 I've moved on to some other more mature form of social interaction. I've seen people from the Sun out and seeing a bunch of late twenties office working alcoholics try it on with teenagers is tough to watch. Half your age plus seven, if the majority of the people there are younger than that it's time to call it a night.

Half your age plus 3 when you reach 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

When you reach B...I mean you are never too old. Age 50+ people are much more fun to watch at the dishco, they know all the moves*.

*like my paw doing that AC/DC thingy across the floor.*shame* :(

Ruu wrote:
    *like my paw doing that AC/DC thingy across the floor.*shame* :(

One day, not too long from now, that will be you that will and Ruu Jr. will hang his head in shame :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

35-50
    anyone who owns a house or has <75% of their mortgage to pay.

When is pancake tuesday!?!?!? soon?!?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

35-50
    Caliden wrote:

Next Tuesday. The 20th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Roll on Pancake Tuesday
    Beruthiel wrote:
    In fairness, it had to be voted for.

And it ties in well with you asking me for ID at the Boards Beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Roll on Pancake Tuesday
    I have no idea how old Beruthiel is, it just seemed like the most amusing option :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

35-50
    Over 35 is a NO. I dont fancy dancing with someone with tits like scrammbled eggs.

35-50
    Unpossible wrote:
    I have no idea how old Beruthiel is, it just seemed like the most amusing option :D
    Shes 77 and has the honour of being boards 2nd oldest member. And that goes for all the boards across the globe. Shes second only to Nakamora Kamiko who celebrated his 84th birthday two weeks ago. Hopefully he'll die soon so B can be Numero Uno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

I'd say it all depends on the particular disco in question. I will never in my life forget the soul crushing unbearably horrific mind numbing spirit sapping contact embaresment I felt the first time I went to Gods Kitchen in the point and seen the thirty-something oul fellas and oul ones trying to prove they were still hip, full of e dancing with the kids on the dancefloor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Disco dancing? My Da did that. Is that coming back?

35-50
    Disco dancing? My Da did that. Is that coming back?
    You've never heard of Disco Dancing? Holy phillistine Batman thats like saying you don't know what oxygen is. Anyway throw your peepers over this link and become enlightened.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_dancing

Oh ya villain Blue Lagoon. That edit was bang out of order. We both know what you wrote. Thanks for making my post look stupid. Thanks a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Pighead, you never told us. :) Have a good one, old chum. *throws party*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dancing at the disco, bumper to bumper. Wait a minute, where's me jumper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

• Advertisement

35-50
    Ruu wrote:
    Pighead, you never told us. :) Have a good one, old chum. *throws party*
    Such slander Ruu! Are you drunk? Pigheads still a virile athletic handsome young man who won't be 30 for many many many days

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I'm 37 this year with the bog standard 3 bed, 2.2 kids all the trimmings. Give me drink and dancefloor and step back. I hadn't been in for about 2 years but the last 2 Fridays have seen be giving it loads till 3 - 4am. great buzz and too be honest the girls seemed to have a good time too, no crap of me hitting on them just giving it loads.

I know I look odd out there but that has nothing to do with age I have more fundamental problems than that.

I remember dancing with my wife last year and throwing her around, I didn't think that wall was so close but then again I didn't think she'd just bounce off it.

35-50
    Cionn wrote:
    I'm 37 this year with the bog standard 3 bed, 2.2 kids all the trimmings. Give me drink and dancefloor and step back. I hadn't been in for about 2 years but the last 2 Fridays have seen be giving it loads till 3 - 4am. great buzz and too be honest the girls seemed to have a good time too, no crap of me hitting on them just giving it loads.

I know I look odd out there but that has nothing to do with age I have more fundamental problems than that.

I remember dancing with my wife last year and throwing her around, I didn't think that wall was so close but then again I didn't think she'd just bounce off it.
    No offence Cionn but isn't there an Indoor Bowls Club or Ballroom Dancing classes nearby? Pighead knows its hard to admit to yourself that your past it but sometimes you've just got to swallow your pride and walk past that Disco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Pighead wrote:
    Pighead is sick and tired of decrepit old farts complaining about the decibel levels or tut tutting at the suggestive dancing on the floor. Suggestive dancing should never ever be tut tutted at.
    Agreed, but that's about mindset, not actual age. And it tends to happen at weddings in the late hours, not in clubs.

ED: Wait, I've just written a semi-sensible answer to a Pighead thread. That's a worse sign of getting past it than any old man drooling over a nightclub balcony!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

35-50
    I went with 30-35. Middle aged people (40+) look absolutely pathetic in clubs in town, except the few that cater for their age group and the crowd comprises mostly of other people their age (and equally as desperate) and the men just look really creepy.

Given that a lot of the crowds going to clubs are young, depending on the club there could easily be 16 year olds walking around, other clubs are stricter thank God, but older men turning up at these places where they know will be full of really young girls is just plain odd.

Also, depends on how they're dressed.

Pighead wrote:
    Oh is that right mcgiff? Well what do you call it then tough guy? Listen pal, you may be full of pills and have a fat frog in each hand but at the end of the day its still a D.I.S.C.O. Rave me bollox, clubbing me arse. Disco forever.

I'm older than you, ighead, and it wasn't called Disco when I tripped the light fantastic. And as for clubbing your arse, well, I suppose all tastes need to be catered for!:eek:

• Advertisement

35-50
    rb_ie wrote:
    but older men turning up at these places where they know will be full of really young girls is just plain odd.
    What are you saying here rb_ie? Are you saying what Pighead thinks you're saying? Because if you are I'd like to disassociate myself with those comments.

PS: In school Pighead was taught never to start a sentence with the word "because" but it seems to work above. Is it ok or was Mrs Larney right?

35-50
    smcgiff wrote:
    I'm older than you, ighead, and it wasn't called Disco when I tripped the light fantastic. And as for clubbing your arse, well, I suppose all tastes need to be catered for!:eek:
    You forgot to P Grandad. Time to get that prostrate checked again. Finger up the bum for you again buddy. You love it you tart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

35-50
    Pighead wrote:
    What are you saying here rb_ie? Are you saying what Pighead thinks you're saying? Because if you are I'd like to disassociate myself with those comments.

PS: In school Pighead was taught never to start a sentence with the word "because" but it seems to work above. Is it ok or was Mrs Larney right?
    Disassociate away Piggy, the comments were more directed at the men who turn up at places such as Bondi Beach Club. Personally, I no longer go there as I'm older now, and the crowd is much younger than it was back in my day, I'm no kiddie fiddler. Even in my time, you'd see the odd 40+ year old man wandering about, trying to dance with the young girls etc. Same in other clubs.
    There are many clubs that 30+ year olds would fit in absolutely fine, Lillies, AKA etc. where its generally a very mixed age range going from around 21 - 35ish (from what I've seen anyway). Same goes for places like Judge Roy Beans, places that aren't entirely populated by teens or students really. There is a limit though, 40+ people would definately stick out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

35-50
    I said 30-35. It just feels strange when blokes who really should be getting married and having waynes to look after are out on the piss with ya. Like, grand if it's a couple of pints of course, but a nightclub? I don't think so.

Anyway, they're probably thinking it's just as strange seeing a 17 year old bloke who they remember as a wee gasur when they were heading to nigthclubs is on the lash with them.

Pighead wrote:
    You forgot to P Grandad. Time to get that prostrate checked again. Finger up the bum for you again buddy. You love it you tart.

Nah - just trying to be down with the yuff of today - I thought it was the done thing after your post. AND what is it with your anal fixation. Have you checked out the "Are you Gay thread?"

• Advertisement

35-50
    smcgiff wrote:
    Nah - just trying to be down with the yuff of today - I thought it was the done thing after your post. AND what is it with your anal fixation. Have you checked out the "Are you Gay thread?"
    Pighead hasn't got an anal fixation(although I must admit I am fascinated by the whole eating-digesting-turning into poo thing. Checked that thread out alright, pretty rubbish really wasn't it. Might check back later to see if it livens up. Thanks for the recommendation all the same. Respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Roll on Pancake Tuesday
    Beruthiel wrote:
    You're never too old piggie.
    After all, when you get to be an OAP you don't give a flying fuk what some 20 year old thinks you should be doing with your twlight years.

You can still catch me jumping around to Metallica for Whom the Bell Tolls or AC/DC's Whole Lotta Rosie - how could you not in fairness?

My only regret is that I couldn't vote more than once, CRONE!

Caliden wrote:
    anyone who owns a house or has <75% of their mortgage to pay.

To hell with that.
    I might not go to disco's anymore, but I refuse to believe that your reckoning puts me out of the running.

35-50
    Terry wrote:
    To hell with that.
    I might not go to disco's anymore, but I refuse to believe that your reckoning puts me out of the running.
    Just out of interest/nosiness, do you never ever go to discos anymore or would you go maybe once or twice a year not quite realising how you ended up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GAA widow

when the dancing is more "embarrassing dad dancing" than disco

Pighead wrote:
    Just out of interest/nosiness, do you never ever go to discos anymore or would you go maybe once or twice a year not quite realising how you ended up there.
    The latter. I never go willingly. It's usually a case of me being drunk and thinking that following the crowd is a good idea.
    I normally leave after 1 drink. It's bad when you see the kids you used to babysit going to the bar.

azezil wrote:
    My only regret is that I couldn't vote more than once, CRONE!

Better a crone than a pox ridden slapper who rubs it in your face after 1.5 drinks on him :p

Endurance Man, Nala, tuxy, and Unpossible all added to the 'LIST'

azezil has been on it for about 4 years now, you can see that from the bitterness above...

Funny thing about it is when I went to discos at teh age of 16 I used to think what were the older people doing there, same thing when I started going to pub/clubs. I remember thinking people in their thirties should not be in these places.

I guess its all relative to the age you are now I am the older man giving it sock on the dancefloor there are not many around older but I don't think it is weird just because I like to give it socks out there.

I can understand people finding it creepy if a mid thirties man is trying to chat up a teenager that just wrong. Me I'm proud of my wife and kids and if someone stands by me for more than two minites they'll know about it. But that does not perclude me from the dancefloor and to be honest I can only foresee a 5 year period when I won't be on the floor but when that new hip is broken in I'll be back out there again.

Reality is it's all relative some people in their early twenties will think its weird but give them another 7 years and the thoughts of being considered an owl fogie will change their attitude.

In the meantime bottle of Heino for me and would you mind talking to my wife I'm going back out on the dancefloor

Cionn wrote:
    Reality is it's all relative some people in their early twenties will think its weird but give them another 7 years and the thoughts of being considered an owl fogie will change their attitude.

It's not called the arrogance of youth for nothing

Beruthiel wrote:
    It's not called the arrogance of youth for nothing

I suppose I am just a middleaged swinger in its most socially acceptable form that is. I'm happy with my own car keys.

C

• Advertisement
Advertisement