Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

volvo dumpers

Options
  • 15-02-2007 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

you know those huge volvo dump truck thingys. a relative is looking for a new job and has been offered a job driving one of those. money is very good.

how do you get training/ licenses for these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cantdecide wrote:
    you know those huge volvo dump truck thingys. a relative is looking for a new job and has been offered a job driving one of those. money is very good.

how do you get training/ licenses for these?
    A category C licence will cover for a public road but an employer may require 'Safe Pass' etc.

They are extremely uncomfortable to drive all day especially the constant up and down motion. He will earn every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I thought the Volvo dumper was an endangered species. A tractor and trailer makes more economic sense due to the price and taxation.

Never driven a volvo dumper, but on the rough roads with a tractor is no fun. The air seat helps, but only to a degree. Back pain is surely to be expected after a few years of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

He'll need a fas safe pass (about e160 I think, it lasts 3 years) and a dumper ticket. He'll probably get away without the dumper ticket depending on who he works for, but he'll need the safe pass anyway.

I suppose the money is ok driving a dumper, but he'd be better off trying for a job in a shovel or excavator, where he'd take home a lot more each week and wouldn't get fu*ked about all day long.

Lads, I somehow doubt he'll have the pleasure of driving on public roads, have you seen how big they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Nephew wrote:
    Lads, I somehow doubt he'll have the pleasure of driving on public roads, have you seen how big they are?

Which public roads are you driving on?

Like you, I doubt that these yokes should be on them ...but they certainly are !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nephew wrote:
    I somehow doubt he'll have the pleasure of driving on public roads, have you seen how big they are?
    There are two types a 25 tonne and a 40 tonne (A25/A40 ??). The 25 tonne one is road legal while the 40 tonne, which is considerably larger, can only be driven on a public road if a permit has been obtained from the local authority. I'm open to correction on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

peasant wrote:
    Which public roads are you driving on?

Like you, I doubt that these yokes should be on them ...but they certainly are !

I was referring to the 40 tonners. Its not that common that you see 25 tonners on the road, as its more practical and safer to use a truck carrying a load on public roads.

Advertisement