Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP cd

• 15-02-2007 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get Windows XP cds? No computer or laptop I've come across with XP had the XP cd provided.

I'm trying to use Add/Remove Components under Add/Remove Programs to reinstall the Network Connections option on an XP laptop. When I try this I'm asked to insert the XP cd...which I do not have.

If it's not possible to get a Windows XP cd does anybody know how to Add Windows components without the cd?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Normally computers come with a recovery disc of some sort, with Dells you have to pay a little extra to get the installation disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

We have a few laptops in work which don't have recovery CDs and I need to reinstall XP on one of them. I've been looking through a lot of old threads about this, but haven't found the thing that I'm looking for.

Is it possible to download an iso of an XP install disk and then just put in the license number that I already use on the computer? (fully licensed, of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

to the op have a look here http://tinyurl.com/esmyg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I don't think you can add Windows components without the Windows XP CD. I can think of a few different options for you:

1) Depending on the manufacturer of the PC/Laptop you might be able to go to their web site and download an ISO or order the CD from them, for example I think Dell, hp, Packard Bell offer this.

2) If your PC is a Dell they now have a "run once only" Recovery CD burning facility. You can find it by going to Start--> All Programs--> Dell Accessories --> Dell Recovery CD. This program will burn a Recovery CD for you on your PC or laptop. But it isn't available after the first use, and it's not on the older Dell models. In fact buying a separate Recovery CD from Dell is usually unnecessary. This little utility has been on Dells for years, so you can just burn your own.

3) If all else fails then there's always Ebay. There you'll find all manner of OEM Recovery CD's. From what I've seen, most are genuine because people are just selling the CD's that came with their computers, and making a few quid. Perfectly legit and legal as long as you use the CD with the corresponding computer, possibly cheaper as well.

4) Could you borrow the CD from a friend, work colleague or the IT department in work/school/college? You'd be surprised how helpful people can be, and how these CD's can be just lying around. Any IT dept. I've been in they're ten-a-penny. If you don't ask you won't get.

Handy tip: When you get the CD copy the i386 folder from it into the root of your C drive. Then any time you're asked for the XP disk, instead browse to this location and click OK. The computer should find what it's looking for there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Thanks Oracle - HP are sending me out a CD now (lucky it was still under warranty!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement