Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website prices

Options
  • 15-02-2007 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey could someone tell me what the going rate is for a website to be designed these days- or how the rate is actually charged? - like is it per page etc etc. and if someone was charging 50euro a page- is this reasonable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Depends on what you want and who you get, tbh.

You buying or building?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

That'd all depend ....

If they are charging 50EUR per page ... and you want a three page site and its going to cost you 150EUR in total ... then thats VERY good .. if they are doing the template / logo / hosting ... for that :D 150 .. very good indeed .. I suspect though ... you'll be paying extra for the template / hosting ... and so on

There have been a few threads about this in the past ...

My personal opinion ... adding a new page .. doesn't take that much work .. if its just adding a paragraph of text and a link to the page then you are getting completely screwed.

If its doing up graphics for said page ... and other stuff ... then its probably not a bad price :) ..

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭peteym

well have a logo sorted already and the hosting too, so i just want a site to be put together with images, bit of flash and all that craic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

peteym wrote:
    well have a logo sorted already and the hosting too, so i just want a site to be put together with images, bit of flash and all that craic

So I'd guess you are talking about them making the template for the site, sourcing images, creating some type of flash .. and so on ...

To be honest if someone is charging you per page I'd be wary but thats just me.

Do out your spec of what you want ... and get them to quote you on it

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

peteym wrote:
    all that craic

... that should set you back anything from 10 euro to hmmm 10,000 euro

get your details together before asking anyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

I always compare web design to buying a car.

Nobody goes into a showroom and says: "How much is a car?".

You need to have a clear idea of what you want on your site.
    Pages, function etc.

If at all possible, take a look at other sites in the same business/category as your own. This will give you an idea of what others are doing, the content they have etc.

As mentioned, most professionals don't generally charge per page, but a set amount for the site to be delivered. I mean, once I have the site design created (the hard part) I can add as many pages as needed.

The bottom line:
    - Put together a rough idea of what you want done
    - Get quotes
    - See samples of previous work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

misterq wrote:
    I always compare web design to buying a car.
    I prefer the 'building a house' analogy myself. Works the pretty much the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Goodshape wrote:
    I prefer the 'building a house' analogy myself. Works the pretty much the same though.
    When your talking to a Newbie. house, car all work well...

Look to beat a better deal like €45 per page out of him...and as mentioned already, he'll charge €50 for a good front page, but also €50 for a contact page(which is reasonably simple to do...)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

As with all areas of life, beware the cheap option coz it could cost you in the long run.....cheap printers = expensive cartridges, cheap cars = expensive repairs, etc etc

It does depend on what you're getting; if you're paying for a template and logo separately and someone's cutting and pasting the content and prepping the graphics, you're doing ok (think of any professionals getting a minimum €15 an hour).

If you want them to design a professional "look" (including allowing you to have a say and giving you options), and source photos or graphics (ensuring that you have the copyright for use on your website) and include Flash (you haven't specified a reason or what you want to use the Flash for, or what the "craic" is....) and have an inclusive process with you involved in every decision where you can suggest changes and/or revisions to look and content, as well as a decent layout so that search engines can find you you should be looking at a minimum of 2 days' work, and I can't see anyone working for 2 full days for €150!

There's also no point in paying ANYTHING for a website if it can't be found, so if the content isn't set up properly you can save now but might need an SEO company later to ensure you can be found - some of those charge €thousands!

So it basically depends on what you're getting; if it's a copy-and-paste job into a template for a static website, you're being overcharged, but if it's a proper professional design and content, easy to navigate, etc, you're probably cutting costs in the wrong area. Likewise if the site is for a company that needs a reasonable chance of being found in search engines, or if the content is dynamic.

We generally allocate a full 5 days to even the most basic sites (not consecutive, so as to allow for the various sign-offs, etc). Some could be done in 2 days, but I don't think they'd suit either the clients' requirements or be suitable for inclusion in our portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Becareful that it will not be a piece of crap. Get them to show some portfolio first to see what they capable of doing.

Nothing worse than seeing a disgraceful amateur company website for a company that could be a decent one. Turns off people instantly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement