Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgradability

Options
  • 15-02-2007 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    My laptop is on it's knees and I need a new computer. Unfortunately, budget won't stretch to anything but a crap laptop so I'm gonna go the desktop route (I already have a monitor).

The €649 Core Duo Build on Ankermann (it won't let me link but click 'offers - intel' and you'll see it) looks good.
    http://www.ankermann-pc.com/en/

Would it be possible to put a DX10 card into that next year?

And is there anything seriously wrong/missing from it?

Cheers
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

No do not get that one. The motherboard is crap. It does not have a PCexpress x16 slot.
    Just do the core2 build and upgrade the motherboard. Take a look at my Ankermann thread and you will see the 2 systems i ordered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Saruman the €649 system has a PCI-e slot it comes with an X1950 Pro (it also comes with AGP), the Asrock board is okay not the fastest but it will suffice on a budget.

Just make sure you are running the latest bios on the Asrock board and it should be okay you can always replace it later with something else if you feel the need.

Yes you will be able to use a DX10 card in it.

Yes 8T8 I know it has a PCI-E slot but according to the ASrock site its not x16 its only x4
    Thats why i suggested he just do the PC builder and pick a better motherboard, he can build the same system that way for the little extra a better motherboard will cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yep saruman is correct here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Oh yeah forgot about that, still for the price of the system it seems very good value for money & the hit in performance via the x4 link doesn't really come into effect unless you are running very high resolutions.

You can always replace the mobo later at little cost. To self build with a better motherboard & equivalent components from the get go will probably cost around €750 unless you cut corners somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Thanks for the input guys.

1) As I've got a 17" monitor, would the x4/x16 become a big issue?

2) Do you think the 6400 worth the extra €35?

3) I've seen you guys dissing the psu's that come as standard with the Ankermanns. Are any of the selectable psu's in the €649 (base price) build half decent?

4) I'd love to do a self build but am I correct in saying that there's no way I'd get that kind of spec for that kinda price?

The Be-Quiet is a good one but its not very powerful though. If they had a 400 to 500 watt be quiet on the list it would be grand.

PSU is no problem to get at a later stage though so get something powerful enough for you and then upgrade it later.

Advertisement