Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Setting up a Motor Society.

Options
  • 15-02-2007 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of setting up a motor society in college soon (now you start to loose interest but please read on) and I would like your input as to what it could incorporate. Obviously I have a few ideas myself but I would like to hear what you think first. I have yet to contact those who are in charge of the establishing of new clubs and societies in the college. I haven't done so because I would like to be able to present them with what it will incorporate rather than just telling them witout having any plans or ideas in mind. So I'm taking advatage of you knowledgable motorists here :D and asking for your thoughts and opinions. I would really appreciate as much feedback as possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is it for all motoring enthuasiasts or cars/performance cars/classics/whatever?
    You will need to organise events. For this you may need to be sure that you are covered by 3rd party insurance.
    Will on-campus events be allowed? Will off-campus be allowed?
    You may be able to get some kind of sponsorship from a motor factors or somewhere.
    Will you have a website/mag to give your members?
    How much will membership be?
    What will your members get for their subscription fee?
    All money collected via subscriptions, etc. is to go towards what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Dunno about other colleges, but the UL Students' Union give insurance cover for all clubs and soc's, although people outside the college (except alumni) will have to pay for this if they want to join any of these.

Most clubs and soc's have websites here - the UL computer society have some servers and offer free accounts for all the clubs and soc's. Again that may be different to what's available in other colleges. I don't think any of them bother with magazines these days, although they do generally contribute every now and then to the SU paper and magazines.

Membership fees generally just go to our budget, which is also funded by the SU and any sponsorship we get. Again things could be different elsewhere - I don't know if the SUs in other colleges give any money to clubs and soc's.

You should go to whoever's in charge of clubs and soc's - they'll probably have a handbook or something telling you what you need to do to set up and run a society and what restrictions and whatever there are in running one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd imagine you'd do some sort of mechanical basics for members, maybe some bodywork repair (could come in handy if you park next to some of the types of drivers we have around....)

I think it's a great idea and if it is UL pm me

Again, from the UL point of view. The C&S and Union are probably the most regulated of any college in the country

....a skydiving club has recently approached C&S looking to set up....the answer was there is no problem once you have 20 interested people and the C&S insurance company has no issue with the activities of the society (i.e. all members must have their own comprehensive insurance and a full licence if they intend to drive as part of the society activity)

C&S development officers and executive students will be very pro a society if there is actually the interest, but in the UL case you won't get full funding unless
    1. All other clubs and societies vote to recognise you at council
    2. you have 20 members
    3. you are active
    4. you have submitted a budget for the coming academic year at the end of the curent year

Having said that, we're luck in that there is funding available for unrecognised and unsuccesful budget application societies and clubs of up to €4000 per academic year.....

If you take this into account in any other college I see no reason how a C&S development officer would think you were being haphazard and unprepared

Good luck with it

P.S.
    You'll need a core committee
    • Chairman
    • Secretary
    • Treasurer
    • Secretary
    • PRO
    • Health and Safety Officer

Advertisement