Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread locked for no reason

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

tbh the thread had ran its course and was going off topic some what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Its done if a mod finds the thread boring, uninteresting or differing from their own views.

Ive seen some interesting threads (to some, obviously not to all) locked while other quality threads such as 'google left out the L' roam free for pages and pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well Valentines Day is over... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

raido9 wrote:
    Its done if a mod finds the thread boring, uninteresting or differing from their own views.

Ive seen some interesting threads (to some, obviously not to all) locked while other quality threads such as 'google left out the L' roam free for pages and pages.

Yeah thats my point too. WWM: you took a sabbatical from modding and you werent missed tbh. Ruu does a grand job almost singlehandedly.

county wrote:
    tbh the thread had ran its course and was going off topic some what
    If a thread has run its course, people will stop chatting in it and it'll drop down the page itself. It doesn't need to be locked for this to happen. If people are still posting in a thread it obviously interests someone.

Even if it has gone off topic, why does that matter? Sometimes people just like to talk sh*t for a while. And in fairness what better forum to do this than After Hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

raido9 wrote:
    And in fairness what better forum to do this than After Hours

The Cuckoos Nest
    The Thunderdrome
    Moderators
    Prison

to name just a few. WWM gave his reasons in the thread:
    just to add, i agree that there has been a breach of the charter by a mod in this thread and the matter has been dealt with.
    i dont expect it to happen again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

So a Mod calls a poster a slut and the thread is locked as a result? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

raido, we cant just have threads go off topic and fill the place up with crap. We have TCN and ThunderDome for that.

I dont blame you for thinking about it the way you do it takes a while to really get a feel for this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Lol...

Done at least in part to let it be seen that mods are not above the law and it still makes its way to Feedback.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The thread was locked because of an issue regarding comments made in the thread. If you took a moment to read WWM's post you'd understand that, its nothing to with the thread winding down. Seriously, one thread gets locked and toys get thrown out of the pram. Just because you started the thread doesn't give you ownership.

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    raido, we cant just have threads go off topic and fill the place up with crap. We have TCN and ThunderDome for that.

I dont blame you for thinking about it the way you do it takes a while to really get a feel for this place.
    What is After Hours their for so, I thought it was for anything non-work related?

My point was that a crap thread is subjective, if people are posting it probably isn't crap to them. If you've no interest in a thread, don't read it. All I'm saying is whats wrong with letting a thread run its course and fade away naturally when people lose interest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

IvaBigWun wrote:
    So a Mod calls a poster a slut and the thread is locked as a result? :confused:
    More or less.

And it was'nt "locked for no reason", as your thread title suggests. Just a reason you don't understand.

Raido, running its course is one thing, going off topic is another. You said that they should be let go off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

raido9 wrote:
    What is After Hours their for so, I thought it was for anything non-work related?

May I refer you to the AH Charter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

There is a 115 post thread about that very thread which details why it was closed. There is no need for you to know why as beyond the fact that you started the thread, you are not involved.

But Giblet ... ITS HIS THREAD!!! And if you're not careful he'll go home and take it with him!

AH is the strictest "General" forum I'v ever seen.

Here's another locked thread, what rule did this one break?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055045832&page=11

You haven't seen enough forums to comment, or you're talking out your arse. Also, read the charter and then that thread.

6th wrote:
    Raido, running its course is one thing, going off topic is another. You said that they should be let go off topic.
    I dont see any reason why it shouldn't be allowed to go off topic. It is a general forum after all. There's no harm in it

You don't see the reason because you haven't been here long enough to understand. Off Topic threads get messy and pointless and make reading them a chore. The whole idea of being able to create threads is to be able to discuss multiple topics rather than have one massive thread. This isn't rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

IvaBigWun wrote:
    Do Mods just close their eyes with a pin some days and say "I think I'll lock this for the laugh"?

Just because you are not aware of the full facts, does not mean it wasn't closed for a very good reason.
    WWM is the worst offender of this.

No
    wwm closed it because of reasons I will not go into here.

Perhaps if you had dropped him a PM instead of going off the deep end, he may have replied to your query.

I also see no reason why you couldn't have politely asked why instead of starting a sarky thread.

Giblet wrote:
    You haven't seen enough forums to comment, or you're talking out your arse. Also, read the charter and then that thread.
    I've read the charter, thread seems ok to me. Dont see any rules broken

raido9 wrote:
    I dont see any reason why it shouldn't be allowed to go off topic. It is a general forum after all. There's no harm in it

Serious, hve you read the charter yet?

If you want to talk crap go to TCN ... if you know where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

People take threads being locked so personally. I've never understood why tbh, being banned sure that's an inconvenience but a thread being locked really isn't a big deal..

Ok but do you see where it says not to go off topic and then you come here saying that its ok to go off topic .....TCN for you!

Sure until you get banned its the big thing ... after a ban raido should be fine.

6th wrote:
    Ok but do you see where it says not to go off topic and then you come here saying that its ok to go off topic .....TCN for you!
    Fair enough. I see where it says it. Think its a bit extreme, but your board your rules I suppose.

What about the other thread, the one discussing legalization of cannabis. That wasn't breaking rules now was it?

If you have an issue with another thread follow the Charter and pm a mod.

And its as much your board as it is mine .... in fact its neither of our board.

No one is bashing you here raido, have a look around and see what Boards has to offer besides AH - its a huge place.

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    Sure until you get banned its the big thing ... after a ban raido should be fine.
    Banned for what? Disagreeing with you?
    6th wrote:
    If you have an issue with another thread follow the Charter and pm a mod.
    While we're discussing locking threads for no reason I don't see why it cant be answered here.

Advertisement