Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread locked for no reason

Options
13»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

seansouth wrote:
    :eek:

Stop slaggin' me thread ffs.

What the hell did I do to you?

I'm reporting that for personal abuse of a thread I started tbh.

i wish i was a mod then I could have locked that one in a flash :)

wouldn't have given a reason either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

raido9 wrote:
    AH is the strictest "General" forum I'v ever seen.

Here's another locked thread, what rule did this one break?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055045832&page=11
    How've I been witless. I've just asked a question, which nobody has answered. It seemed like it just got locked because Terry wasn't ars*d to keep debating the point. If I'm way off the mark tell me and I'll drop this right away.
    Look at the second last post in that thread and then ask why it was closed.

As for the other thread, the matter is closed. Let it go.
    There is no favouritism here.
    I was going to prove a point by saying a certain admin is a prick, but then I relaised that it would be a pointless thing for me to do and I really do not want to be banned from this forum.
    You see, we mods only have a limited amount of control and only on the forums we moderate. We are not all powerful beings, nor do we think we are.
    We just help keep this place in check. That's all. It's not a job, it's a hobby. It's something we enjoy doing. We do not enjoy banning others, but sometimes that just has to happen, as does the locking of threads.
    We do not get a kick out of it. Believe me, moderating After Hours can be difficult at times. As can modding any other forum.
    No moderator likes banning someone from the forumn they moderate, but sometimes you have to do it for the benefit of other users. the same goes for locking a thread.
    If you really think there is a moderator clique, then I suggest you check this out. Drag yourself along and have fun. you just arrive and introduce yourself. Yes, some people already know others, but for the most part, everyone is there for the first time. My first time, I wasn't a moderator and I wasn't made a moderator because I wnet. We all just had fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Terry speaks the truth. My icky board here is nice and quiet, but I expect it to get going in March with the next series of Who. However, I mod on other sites and all modding does is really give you a little drop down menu. Most of my modding is removing offensive language, trying to keep threads on track and keeping an eye out for defamatory statements. The only people I have banned are spammers, and now on one board we're catching them by per-approval of posts.

Even though a mod may not post on their board they taker the time out to read it every day (or should do) to keep an eye on those issues. It is a time consuming task, esp when you have a family and a job to hold down, and there are precious few benefits apart from not allowing stupidity to reign.

Want to see a very heavily modded board ; football 365 forum. Piotrish makes WWM look like Gandhi. Why is he like that? Look at the Cricket 365 forum - all the mongers went there because there was no active mod and they destroyed the place, everyone, including yours truly, left to start their own board, and the mongers are still there, destroying the place.

That's why I like boards.ie, its straight down the middle mod-wise, you really have to see the alternatives before you can appreciate it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

That's why I like boards.ie, its straight down the middle mod-wise, you really have to see the alternatives before you can appreciate it.

/ applauds.

Advertisement