Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Autoroutes & Accomodation

Options
  • 15-02-2007 4:00pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Am driving from Bordeaux to Cherbourg this Saturday and Sunday, and wondering about where to stop off for the night. (Won't have time on Saturday to got the full distance).

Does anyone know if French autoroutes have many service stations with accommodation? Or should I book some B&B halfway to be safe? Don't care about luxury - would prefer the convenience of just stopping off the motorway.

Any thoughts etc. appreciated...
    CHEERS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

personally I prefer to just stop on the way when I feel I've had enough driving for the day. If you get tired on the way, it's better and nicer just to pick a place at the next junction/town rather than have to drive on to to a pre-booked stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Bogger77 wrote:
    personally I prefer to just stop on the way when I feel I've had enough driving for the day. If you get tired on the way, it's better and nicer just to pick a place at the next junction/town rather than have to drive on to to a pre-booked stop.
    I find this the best approach too. It relieves the pressure of having to be somewhere specific, which could result in being tired with a long distance to travel. This can be advantageous should you encounter delays such as traffic, etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sounds like the best approach, thanks. :)

My only concern is driving endlessly without finding somewhere to stay... but if people think that isn't an issue I'll probably wing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Take a good look at a map of the route and the google for accomodation in the various towns & villages that on your way. Get yourself a good few options and bring phone numbers, if you can get them, to check for availability as you get near.

Advertisement