Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion classes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Got an exemption from religion. Just feck off and do my own work during that class.

I don't like listening to idiots discuss abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Others that complain about it being a waste, have you not considered it is a chance to relax? Of course if you want to take extra classes request it, ask your teachers, don't just sit there wathcing a movie and then complain about it.
    There are plenty of other classes to relax in. In my school we have 2 PE classes, a computers class and a study period every week. Then theres 3 religion classes on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

adam_ccfc wrote:
    Got an exemption from religion. Just feck off and do my own work during that class.

I don't like listening to idiots discuss abortion.

The thing i hate about religion is that even though you discuss topics such as abortion and contraception and you are supposed to make up your own mind on them, the teacher implies that her view is the only acceptable one. I mean when we covered contraception, the teacher wouldn't let us be pro anything even if you had been raped! I thought we were suposed to make u our own minds on the subject!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

The thing i hate about religion is that even though you discuss topics such as abortion and contraception and you are supposed to make up your own mind on them, the teacher implies that her view is the only acceptable one. I mean when we covered contraception, the teacher wouldn't let us be pro anything even if you had been raped! I thought we were suposed to make u our own minds on the subject!!:(
    Nah! Religion and free-thought don't go together at all, bud.

It's their way or an eternity in hell. Scare monger tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mrac

adam_ccfc wrote:
    Nah! Religion and free-thought don't go together at all, bud.

It's their way or an eternity in hell. Scare monger tactics.

Ah the catholic way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

Yeah but come on, what school does not have allowances for Catholism. What religion teacher these days is not Catholic, and has to bring 'their' views into the class, and suddenly we're being taught the catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

A lot of you seem to complain that your teachers are Catholic and their view is final, or that they constantly question your view. Well how about you challenge them? OR maybe with the ones that constantly question your view, you question theirs. Point out the flaws in their opinions?

First of all in my class, religion has never been brought up. We have never been told to do things "the catholic way" or any of that bull. So I find it hard to consider most of the opinions on the board here.
    I mean when we covered contraception
    even if you had been raped!

How do contraception and rape go together? If your teacher is against all forms of contraception aske what she should do, if she says faimly planning tell her about the unreliability of that program and that it doesn't help with STD's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Most schools will have a certain catholic ethos impressed onto it from the days when the catholic church literally ran the schooling system.

I think religion is perhaps the wrong name for it, maybe social studies/morality would be a better term for what I believe would represent the vast majority of religion classes around the country.

Aside from that, you all seem to be forgetting catholicism is the largest religious denomination is this country by a street! But a religion should not be forced onto students, and shouldn't really have a place in any school bar teaching tolerance and understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

You think you have it bad people?
    I had to sit 11 exams for the JC and in retrospect it was a waste of time.
    I had a "serious" Religion teacher shoving her stories down for throat for three years.
    In the end I didnt even show up for the exam because even my parents thought it was a waste of time.
    The principal wasn't impressed:D.

It was a "doss" class which usually constituted myself and my friends taking the piss out of the class remarking that Moses must have been stoned when he talked to a burning bush etc, you know the usual childish crap:)
    I was thrown out in fifth year Religion because I never done my homework and questioned the usefulness or lack of usefulness thereof.
    Religion class is basically a propaganda enforcement tool designed to wean students of the dangers of the "real world" TM.

Advertisement