Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Perpetual lateness

• 15-02-2007 4:38pm

I am one of those people running 15 min’s behind life!
    80% of the time no matter how much I plan if I’ve to be somewhere at a particular time even work I most always am running late it’s like Murphy’s Law!
    Like on a morning there is an accident and your 20 min’s late for work and ya curse yourself as you had load’s to do and your boss knows this!
    You vow to get up a half hour early in order to do this and even go to bed early lay out all clothes accessories etc, and then through some universal
    fu(k up (like the alarm clock not going off/being eaten by your dog/power cut) you wake up 10 min’s before work’s due to start making you so late and so screwed!
    My mother is exactly like this as well maybe it’s something to do with procrastination until the last possible minute until I have to be there and nature takes care of the rest or never planning for what might come against you
    Does anyone think it’s the universe plotting against these poeple, sheer bad luck or just general laziness?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭.:Who:.

80% of the time no matter how much I plan if I’ve to be somewhere at a particular time even work I most always am running late it’s like Murphy’s Law!
    Like on a morning there is an accident and your 20 min’s late for work and ya curse yourself as you had load’s to do and your boss knows this!
    You vow to get up a half hour early in order to do this and even go to bed early lay out all clothes accessories etc, and then through some universal
    fu(k up (like the alarm clock not going off/being eaten by your dog/power cut) you wake up 10 min’s before work’s due to start making you so late and so screwed!
    My mother is exactly like this as well maybe it’s something to do with procrastination until the last possible minute until I have to be there and nature takes care of the rest or never planning for what might come against you
    Does anyone think it’s the universe plotting against these poeple, sheer bad luck or just general laziness?

Hey I can assure you its not just you!
    Man I seem to be at least 30 mins late for everything esp work or college.
    I know far too many people like this.
    I myself blame it on being a College Bum!

I can't stand being late for anything and I can't stand other people being late to meet me. I'm usually not late.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I can't stand people being late, nevermind people doing it over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
    It's a pet hate.
    When I get held back as a result, I feel like killing the person.
    Then that just get's me in a really f*cking ****ty mood for the next 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

bluewolf wrote:
    I can't stand being late for anything and I can't stand other people being late to meet me. I'm usually not late.

Im with you on this bluewolf. I cant stand being late and will more than likely actually be 15 mins early. I think I am the freak though because anytime I ever have to meet anyone i am innevitably left standing on a street corner or sitting in a cafe by myself for at least half an hour.

MikeHoncho wrote:
    Im with you on this bluewolf. I cant stand being late and will more than likely actually be 15 mins early. I think I am the freak though because anytime I ever have to meet anyone i am innevitably left standing on a street corner or sitting in a cafe by myself for at least half an hour.
    Sounds familiar!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I can't stand being late either, i especially hate people who are 2 or 3mins late constanly. All they have to do is leave a few minutes earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hate being late (doesn't happen often), it doesn't look good and puts everyone else at an inconvenience. I feel when I'm late that when I come in that the rest of the crowd are watching me with their beady eyes. :(
    Meeting friends, they are terrible for keeping time. 5 mins=30 mins-1 hr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm another one who finds lateness rude. If a friend is late to meet me, I interprut it as "you're not worth me making sure I am one time for". SOme friend. If I have to be somewhere I allow enough time for things to go wrong and still make my destination on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

orla wrote:
    I can't stand being late either, i especially hate people who are 2 or 3mins late constanly. All they have to do is leave a few minutes earlier.

I can understand it being very annoying being 10 to 15 minutes late but 2 to 3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This kind of lateness can be cured CSG. My friend used to constantly run about half an hour late, despite living closer to town to me. I just left after 20 minutes a few times (and switched off my phone) and I have noticed some improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Suppose all people are different! I have to admit that I am on the late side of the coin! I dont mean to be but I suppose i am a laid back type of person and I dont tend to get so worked up about being on time every time. I can see how this might irritate some people, but its just the way that I am! Sorry!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i am NEVER late. i hat e being late, i am usually about 20 mins early for work everyday, i always leave way too early, just incase i meet traffic..which i rarely do.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The only thing I am late for is work somedays. It doesn't bother me if I am late for work (I usually make up for it by leaving early :) ), but in everything else if I am due somewhere or to meet someone I am usually 10 mins early, and it irritates me when people can't do what the say (i.e. be somewhere at a certain time) unless there is a genuine reason for it.

One of my best frineds though is the opposite. He is always early for work, and late leaving work meaning that in everything else he does he is late. Weekends he is late for everything too so it's not just works fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's most definitely laziness and if it's a case of somebody waiting for you and you do it all the time it's just pure bad manners. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not on my high horse here because I'm always late for work, the reason being is that a) me being late doesn't affect anyone as I'm in charge of my own section and b) I don't really give a sh1t about my present job. On the occasions when I actually have to meet someone I always make sure I'm on time.

It's like anything in life, if you really want to do something and you actually give a sh1t about it you'll make sure you'll do it. There's nothing wrong with the odd mishap but consistant systematic lateness is just laziness personified, and that's something I'm very guilty of with work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

BaZmO* wrote:
    It's most definitely laziness and if it's a case of somebody waiting for you and you do it all the time it's just pure bad manners. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not on my high horse here because I'm always late for work, the reason being is that a) me being late doesn't affect anyone as I'm in charge of my own section and b) I don't really give a sh1t about my present job. On the occasions when I actually have to meet someone I always make sure I'm on time.

It's like anything in life, if you really want to do something and you actually give a sh1t about it you'll make sure you'll do it. There's nothing wrong with the odd mishap but consistant systematic lateness is just laziness personified, and that's something I'm very guilty of with work.

Very true! and i'm guilty of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I hate being late, if I agree to meet someone at X, I'll be there at X. Except for a few people who are always a half hour late. For them I'll be there at X+30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This is a disease in our family, except my dad. We're late for everything... everything! I used to be late every day to school, one day I was in for the first class and the teacher who checked for late people came into the room and was shocked and came over to shake my hand for being early.. I'm pretty sure I was a minute or two late that day aswell though :p

Same with college, I tried a million times to be early and managed to do it twice surprisingly.

Everything, even with friends or whatever, I think it's because I give the absolute shortest time I could possibly be ready by and always end up getting delayed in some way, dropping keys when I'm trying to lock the door, untangling headphones, putting gloves on because they were inside out, all these things add up!

I do it to myself too, plan on going shopping and go in at like the latest possible time and make it to the shops as they are just closing, I'm always being let out of the shop/bank and have the door closed behind me because it's after hours.

We had a family thing there last weekend and we were all early, I don't mean by 5 mins either, my bro and I were about 30 mins early, which is miraculous for us, so maybe there's hope:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I am never late.

Nor, am I ever early...

I arrive exactly when I mean to :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I'm another one who finds lateness rude. If a friend is late to meet me, I interprut it as "you're not worth me making sure I am one time for". SOme friend. If I have to be somewhere I allow enough time for things to go wrong and still make my destination on time.

I hate being late(im nearlly allways early) and when people are late with me. However the wording of that above post made me laugh.

Its a bit harsh dont you think? I mean stuff happens that doesnt allways make it possible to be on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hate late folk. Just seems like a lack of interest/respect to me.If you had a flight to catch etc, you wouldn't be late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

My ass.... I consider myself fairly well travelled and I can guarantee you that on most flights back to Ireland from wherever,the last strugglers who turn up at the gate will be Irish.We seem to have an innate fear of arriving on time for anything,witness the Dubs games in Croker!!!

All it takes is a little organisation and willpower and a realisation that its just plain rude and stupid to be constantly late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

im always late for nearly everything too.. and even when i set my alarm early or whatever i am still late.. probably because i think that i have loads of extra time so i dont have to rush and i can take my time eating/choosing my clothes etc, then i leave at the same time that i would have if i got up 30 mins later and just rushed a bit.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i hate people that are late. its not laziness, its just disorganised.

but it is rude when you have an appointment and people turn up late just coz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I think people who are always late are just selfish. They are important enough for you to waste your time waiting for them.
    Everyone can be late accidently now and then, but some people just don't make an effort and don't care.
    I used to arrange with my friend to meet half an hour before I wanted to, as she was always about half an hour late. Worked well when I remembered to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'm casually punctual. I don't stress much about the time and when I'll be arriving, but I do have a good map in my head of when things have to happen, so I do try to get places for that time. The result is I'm usually about on time, or (literally) a couple of minutes late - often the degree of lateness is dependant on the punctuality of public transport or on traffic, leaving me a perpetually 2-5 mins late...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

mayb people who are late are just buzy and have very full lives. the op obviously isnt bselfish or rude or she wouldnt b makin an issue of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I am always late, I just am. I think I've been late for my last 3 interviews too.. of which I've been offered all 3 jobs.

I don't mind when people are late either - unless they've told me that they're literally 2 minutes away, and I'm still waiting after 15 minutes. That annoys me.

I don't think I could work for anyone that was a time freak. If I'm late in I'll stay late and get the job done. If I'm late meeting you in a pub, I'll get the first round in. Life's too short to be a stickler for punctuality :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

My ass.... I consider myself fairly well travelled and I can guarantee you that on most flights back to Ireland from wherever,the last strugglers who turn up at the gate will be Irish.We seem to have an innate fear of arriving on time for anything,witness the Dubs games in Croker!!!

All it takes is a little organisation and willpower and a realisation that its just plain rude and stupid to be constantly late
    I'm just throwing this out there, but wouldn't the majority of people returning to Ireland be more likely to be Irish and therefore, statistically speaking, make it more likely for it to be Irish people lagging behind as they get off the plane?

Also, wouldn't a perpetually late person never arrive at their destination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GAA widow

BaZmO* wrote:

I agree 100%!!

I'm not a time keeping freak, and have, on occasion been late when I'm supposed to meet someone. People who are always late really irritate me, i.e. when their lateness is affecting another individual. I think they're actually quite selfish people more so than lazy.

They're going to do whatever they need to get done at their own pace, and, too bad for you if you're hanging around waiting for them. People who are always late never actually have to wait for anybody themselves. It's no wonder that time-keeping offenders never really comprehend why you're p***ed off at them when they finally arrive.

Why would you be mad when they had the courtesy to ring or text (ten minutes AFTER they were supposed to meet you) to let you know that they're going to be another 15 mins???? (which really means 15-25mins, give or take)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Possible solution: set your watch a few minutes later.

I'm never late unless i have a damn good reason. I'm usually early and sat there counting my fingers waiting for whoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

BaZmO* wrote:

I don't think its laziness, I think its bad time management. I'm usually bad with time, but it always because I underestimate the time I need, or more accurately I don't allow enough time for the minor details of things and I'm easily distracted. So for example when I've allowed enough time to get from a-b, someone will ask me to do something on the way, and I really should just say no, but generally I'll try and squeeze it in. Or like I shouldn't be on the boards now, I should be in bed as I'm up early. But if I grit my teeth and ignore all the distractions and stick rigidly to my own schedule I can be great at being on time. My time keeping is either really good or really bad and it does through good and bad spells.

That said it doesn't annoy me at all to be late. If there's a good reason I just accept it, and adjust my plans as I go. Of course if its for some silly reason it does annoy me. Whereas some people go mad if they are 1 min late even when it doesn't matter. I think its just how you are wired. Same way some people have no sense of direction and some do.

Terry wrote:
    I'm just throwing this out there, but wouldn't the majority of people returning to Ireland be more likely to be Irish and therefore, statistically speaking, make it more likely for it to be Irish people lagging behind as they get off the plane?

Also, wouldn't a perpetually late person never arrive at their destination?

The point I was trying to make was that on most flights NOTinvolving Ireland everyone seems to have no trouble getting to the gate on time

Ok, fair enough.

Just out of curiousity though, how many flights in Dublin airport do you actually monitor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Me = Hate being late = Me usually speeding in the car = Me :(

Good for you.
    Just one question, Have you ever been crucified by AH members before?

Remember, folks. personal abuse ist verboten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

then through some universal
    fu(k up (like the alarm clock not going off/being eaten by your dog/power cut)

Your alarm clock goes off when you set it - or else you should have gotten a new one after the first time it "broke". Common sense.

The dog ate it? Are you in Primary school?

Power Cut, eh? You must be very unfortunate for this to be a recurring cause of your lateness. I've had 1 power cut in 3 years where I live. You must have a couple every week for it to make your shortlist of contributing factors...

All PATHETIC excuses for being lazy and ignorant, IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

80% of the time no matter how much I plan if I’ve to be somewhere at a particular time even work I most always am running late

me too, i dont think ive ever been on time for anything. they now take it for granted in wrok that ill be ten or 15 minutes late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

ChRoMe wrote:
    I hate being late(im nearlly allways early) and when people are late with me. However the wording of that above post made me laugh.

Its a bit harsh dont you think? I mean stuff happens that doesnt allways make it possible to be on time.

Chrome, I can see why it might sound like that but I work long hours, I have a lot of other commitments on top of that so when I make time to meet someone, why do they get to give the impression that their time is more important and it's no bother to have me hanging around waiting on them. There are a zillion other things I could be getting done. Last weekend, I was meeting a friend who was 30 min's late. Her excuse? I was half way through the ironing and wanted to get it finished. How can it not be rude to come behind the laundry in the pecking order?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

CSM move to Brasil. To be fashionably late is the norm. People early or on time catch the host unprepared, cause everyone is expected to arrive late.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm not superb at timekeeping. I do my best, but often I'm just unavoidably late. I think lateness is a cultural thing - some countries are late/early more than others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BostonB wrote:
    I don't think its laziness, I think its bad time management.
    BostonB wrote:
    But if I grit my teeth and ignore all the distractions and stick rigidly to my own schedule I can be great at being on time.
    So therefore if you actually want to be on time you can be? Well then imo, and from what you've said, if you're late it's nothing to with bad time management it's either laziness or selfishness. You can give all the excuses in the world about helping other people out on the way thereby makig you late but what about the people that are left waiting for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My mate claims that this doesn't work cos you just look at your watch and go "deadly, just add five minutes to this" :D

Rhyme wrote:
    Possible solution: set your watch a few minutes later.

I'm never late unless i have a damn good reason. I'm usually early and sat there counting my fingers waiting for whoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Nothing wrong with being late sometimes, wouldn't get wound up unless there is something unmissable depending on my punctuallity. I'll always stay later than everyone else at most things (work, pub, dinner etc..) so it all balances out.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Jebus, I haven't made it to work before 9:30 in well over a year.

The problem I have is that i'm a night owl. I just cannot go to bed before 2am on a school night. I know i'm up at 8am and I know i'm going to really get up at 8:45, shower and be in work sometime within the hour.

Have to ask what your boss is like CSG? The traditional asshole who believes in squeezing you for every penny they pay you, which imo creatres a crappy work atmosphere or the beloved modern boss who doesn't give a sh*t ass long as your work is done.

I fortunately have the latter.

Terry wrote:
    Ok, fair enough.

Just out of curiousity though, how many flights in Dublin airport do you actually monitor?

:confused: Don't understand that one Terry.

I base my opinion on personal experience,and observation and I would be quite happy the observations are robust and accurate,with however,no scientific base.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Cannot believe that my boredom has gotten to such levels as to actually read this thread from start to finish.
    I dont really have anything constructive to add.
    Im just leaving my flag to mark my victory over this mountain of boredom.
    Now. Where are those 5 year old train timetables? I need some REAL excitement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

Cannot believe that my boredom has gotten to such levels as to actually read this thread from start to finish.

Yes me too. What is wrong with me? I know what my problem is, I also can't go to bed earlier than 2/3 am and on the weekend 4/5am, I just can't it's a vicious cycle.
    I have my alarm set half an hour fast (or something around that, what i do is, I dont look as I set it so I dont know exactly how fast it is so I can't just subtract and go by regular time) but I'm generally still late. I try be on time to meet friends but for college I'm always late and work, i'm usually 5 minutes late.

p.s: i was born late and my entire family are always running late for everything! my godmother has a christmas party which begins at about 11am, but every year she knows not to expect us until 3 or 4p.m :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I am late for stuff some times. Big deal.

I make a point of not telling someone an exact time... ie "I'll be there between 11 and 11.15". Its impossible to allow for things like traffic, parking etc. Then if I have the child with me, its wrestling the buggy, changing bag, baby etc.

There used to be a time where people didn't see it as a major affront to them personally if someone they were meeting were 2 or 3 minutes late... People nowadays need to lighten up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

orla wrote:

2 or 3 minutes? Christ, that's a bit unreasonable:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

I don't know how anyone can call someone who's late frequently lazy. The earth doesn't alter it's profile every fifteen minutes to create a downward slope and therefore easier journey, hence those that are fifteen minute late are lazy. It takes as much effort to be there late as early (and visa versa).
    I'm always late, at least ten minutes. I don't care, because when other people are late, I am more than capable of occupying my mind for a few short minutes. Why people would stress over having to spend quarter of an hour by themselves is beyond me.
    Surely with so many variables involved in a journey (traffic, weather, late bus/train etc.) it's reasonable to expect some leeway. Just because some people are control freaks doesn't mean it's unreasonable to be a few minutes behind. ffs, peoples watches being set differently can account for up to five minutes. Just be thankful that should any of you punctual people ever have the misfortune to be late, that not everyone is such a pedant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement