Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle PC's

Options
  • 15-02-2007 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples opinion of the shuttle pc's is. Having been using a laptop for the last 3 years, I am used to the small footprint, thus I am rather reluctant about having a desktop case taking up space.
    Since everyone else is messing about with Ankermann, I thought I'd give it a shot. Specs below, price: 1.081,10 €

System: INTEL So.775 Shuttle SS30G2
    Equipment:
    - So.775 Intel P4-D DUAL CORE 2x 3,4 GHz PC800 2MB Model 945: € 115.90
    - Shuttle-SS30G2 mainboard
    - PCI-e 512MB NVidia GeForce 7950-GT TV-out- DVI: € 242.90
    - IDE 200 GB SAMSUNG SP2014N (8MB cache-7200rpm): € 26.50
    - 256MB DDR-II RAM
    - DDR-II upgrade from 256MB to 1024MB SAMSUNG PC533: € 96.90
    - DDR-II RAM 1024MB SAMSUNG PC533: € 96.90
    - DVD-RW PLEXTOR 16x/16x/8x/8x& RAM PX755A DL (CaseColor): € 58.00
    - Shuttle-SS30G2 Aluminum Case
    - Intel Cooler
    - PFC 275W (20 Pin W/8CM FAN)
    - AC97 5.1 - 6 channel sound
    - 10/100 Ethernet LAN - DSL ready
    - Four-phase voltage stabilization
    - Yes, I want a superquiet PC: € 25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Just wondering what peoples opinion of the shuttle pc's is. Having been using a laptop for the last 3 years, I am used to the small footprint, thus I am rather reluctant about having a desktop case taking up space.
    Since everyone else is messing about with Ankermann, I thought I'd give it a shot. Specs below, price: 1.081,10 €

System: INTEL So.775 Shuttle SS30G2
    Equipment:
    - So.775 Intel P4-D DUAL CORE 2x 3,4 GHz PC800 2MB Model 945: € 115.90
    - Shuttle-SS30G2 mainboard
    - PCI-e 512MB NVidia GeForce 7950-GT TV-out- DVI: € 242.90
    - IDE 200 GB SAMSUNG SP2014N (8MB cache-7200rpm): € 26.50
    - 256MB DDR-II RAM
    - DDR-II upgrade from 256MB to 1024MB SAMSUNG PC533: € 96.90
    - DDR-II RAM 1024MB SAMSUNG PC533: € 96.90
    - DVD-RW PLEXTOR 16x/16x/8x/8x& RAM PX755A DL (CaseColor): € 58.00
    - Shuttle-SS30G2 Aluminum Case
    - Intel Cooler
    - PFC 275W (20 Pin W/8CM FAN)
    - AC97 5.1 - 6 channel sound
    - 10/100 Ethernet LAN - DSL ready
    - Four-phase voltage stabilization
    - Yes, I want a superquiet PC: € 25

Shuttle's are a great compromise between a laptop and a full size PC.

Pros:
    handy size.
    Shuttles have good build quality and great layout.
    You can make a decent portable gaming machine.
    More upgradeable than a laptop.

Cons:
    Non standard Power supply (you might be able to get a replacement/better PSU from shuttle, you might not. Depends on model and what Power supplies they sell, not all shuttle power supplies are the same...)

Noise, while not terrible,a shuttle is not the most silent system around. They are fine if you have the fans on auto throttle and you are watching a film, it's fairly quiet, but when you play a game the fans do tend to kick in and make a bit of noise.

Limited upgrade path: there will always be limits to what parts you can fit in a shuttle and getting a more powerful PSU for a shuttle is not always possible.

Personally I have had a shuttle box nearly 2 years and it has been fantastic, it has taken many hours of gaming demanding games and abuse in general and still is going strong.

I will be building a full size machine again in the next 6 months as the shuttle is getting a little long in the tooth for gaming, but I will def be keeping my shuttle.

It's a great little machine to hook up to the telly and play films off.

Overall if you are happy with the compromises, a shuttle will serve you well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I've had one for the past five years. It's only upgrade has been to make it quieter (replacement power supply fans and heatsink fans). It has almost as much upgrade potential as most desktops.

Downside: Bigger initial outlay than buying a standard desktop. Some parts are shuttle-specific and cost far more when you're upgrading; i.e. motherboards, wireless cards, power supplies). That aside, you can take the same external upgrade path as a laptop via USB, eSATA and firewire ports.

Upside: You're unlikely to want to upgrade it - Mine still does everything I need it to. They also look nicer than the average desktop.

Go for it if you can afford it.

Advertisement