Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tribunal culture

• 15-02-2007 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭

According to our Minister of Justice , the costs of the Moriarty/planning tribunal is running close to 1 billion.
    I'm with the minister on this one, the money would be much better spent on hospitals , soccer facilities , education ,creches , anything but making the legal profession wealthier .
    What do the public/taxpayers , who pay for these expensive everlasting events , get for there money ?
    A load of legal waffle, telling us that certain politicians and councillors are corrupt -- wow , didn't know that !
    A tribunal into legal costs may be in order, when certain solicitors are making 2,250 euros a day

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1775984&issue_id=15250

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Personally; I think every time a politician complains in the Dail about there not being enough money for something they should have to take off their shirt and put it into the poor box........

welcome to the town called Hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Personally I'm dubious about the value of tribunals. They have confirmed/raised some interest revelations but equally I'm not sure if said revelations are worth the absurd amount of money the things cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If you put the money into education, then it will only produce more solicitors anbd therefore more tribunals. Hospitals FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Apparently the true cost of the tribunals is only gonna be 300 Million. Phew, thats ok then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So they cut back on the report being printed in solid gold, to only being gold leaf?

• Advertisement

I was amused by the comment on Prime Time that most people would accept that legal people being paid only 900 euro a day would be fair and reasonable.

Man, I chose the wrong profession...

I think we all did.
    Sue, if you're reading this, I love you and want to have yyour solicitor babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Pighead wrote:
    Apparently the true cost of the tribunals is only gonna be 300 Million. Phew, thats ok then.

Funnily eneogh it was a member of the legal profession that came up with the revised figure -- who also happens to be the Chaiman of the tribunal to boot --

I suppose McDowell also is a prominent member of the legal profession as well -- its comforting to know that our well heeled legal bigwigs can come up with such close estimates !
    The mind boggles, -- i suppose if your making so much dosh whats 600 mill !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

nesf wrote:
    I was amused by the comment on Prime Time that most people would accept that legal people being paid only 900 euro a day would be fair and reasonable.

Man, I chose the wrong profession...
    Essentially the huge daily salaries for the senior legal counsel is caused because;

Senior lawyers get paid a lot of money.
    The legal profession works on a word of mouth reputation.
    Taking part in a tribunal means lawyers are out of the market for several years and slowly but surely lose their client base and their 'name'.

Hence the ridiculous wages. But tbh, if you can command a certain wage you'd be crazy not to ask for it.

Sangre wrote:
    But tbh, if you can command a certain wage you'd be crazy not to ask for it.

I agree completely and I'm sure the vast majority of people who are 'disgusted' by what these guys are getting wouldn't say no to it either. I just found the description of those kinds of rates as reasonable slightly amusing. These guys are at the 'top of the food chain' and are going to be well paid but the idea that guys on the industrial wage would find agree to their pay as reasonable is just comical. :)

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote:
    Hence the ridiculous wages. But tbh, if you can command a certain wage you'd be crazy not to ask for it.

Yeah -- but as a taxpayer i resent my money being used to pay these ridiculous wages , so as i can be oficially told that certain politicians and councellors are corrupt , when its common knowledge --
    Basically were held to ransom by a legal elite !

Its a pity we live in a democracy that requires a fair trial. What a waste of taxpayers money!

Sangre wrote:
    Its a pity we live in a democracy that requires a fair trial. What a waste of taxpayers money!

Nothing wrong with democracy and fair trials , but the amount of money squandered on the states numerous tribunals , producing negible results, is shocking ! Its the taxpayers of Ireland that are getting fleeced . I wonder would the private sector be such accomadating paymasters ?

Well thankfully the justice or legal system isn't run by the private sector so we'll never know.

Ooh. satire.
    No, I completely agree with you, Sangre.
    It could be worse.
    All the same, it could be better. There is obviously still corruption and nepotism rife in this country.
    I'm gonna do a Janet Street Porter here and try to appeal to the yoof. (Not that they are old enough to get that reference, but still...).
    Youth of today, please do not favour your friends over someone more qualified.
    Please try to turn this country into a place we can all be proud of.
    Please play by th rules and don't become corrupted by money. If you have a top job, then you will earn enough to live comfortably. Don't be greedy.

Right. That fell on deaf ears. Next...

thebaz wrote:
    I wonder would the private sector be such accomadating paymasters ?

The private sectors pays quite a bit for a good reputation. Check out CEO/CFO salaries in major firms if you want to be scared.

Sangre wrote:
    Well thankfully the justice or legal system isn't run by the private sector so we'll never know.

meanwhile the majority get fleeced by a small elite minority -- and it was actually the minister of justice himself who questioned the cost -- your probably studing law -- i'm jealous if so

nesf wrote:
    The private sectors pays quite a bit for a good reputation. Check out CEO/CFO salaries in major firms if you want to be scared.

sure the private sector pay well but who do you think would be the more demanding paymaster dunnes stores/ryanair or the government -- i know who i'd prefer work for if i wanted a stress free lifestyle

Anyway i need to go to bed to get up for work , and contribute :)

thebaz wrote:
    sure the private sector pay well but who do you think would be the more demanding paymaster dunnes stores/ryanair or the government -- i know who i'd prefer work for if i wanted a stress free lifestyle

True enough, but my point was that people at the top of their careers in both public and private can usually name their price. The market sucks at pricing reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Terry wrote:
    Ooh. satire.
    No, I completely agree with you, Sangre.
    It could be worse.
    All the same, it could be better. There is obviously still corruption and nepotism rife in this country.
    I'm gonna do a Janet Street Porter here and try to appeal to the yoof. (Not that they are old enough to get that reference, but still...).
    Youth of today, please do not favour your friends over someone more qualified.
    Please try to turn this country into a place we can all be proud of.
    Please play by th rules and don't become corrupted by money. If you have a top job, then you will earn enough to live comfortably. Don't be greedy.

Right. That fell on deaf ears. Next...

I hate Jane Street Porter (what sorta name is that?) Appealing to the yoof seems to mean dumbing everything down so the message won't get lost. And the message is usually her opinion rather than balanced report. (Also I'm 20, almost 21, am I still young?)

• Advertisement

The "Yoof" reference was satire on my part.
    I'll let it go seeing as you are only 20. :)
    I was serious about the rest of it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Do any of you honestly believe these solictors don't try and draw tribunals out as long as possible to make uber mega bucks.

What the gov should do from now on is make any solicitor sign a contract that if the tribunal goes over xx time xx wages will be deducted. If it's contractual work they can't walk without repercussions.

I'm sorry sir, I can't introduce this new, exculpating evidence, it might reduce my wages.

Advertisement