Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stock market recent surge

• 15-02-2007 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just peoples thoughts on the stock market at the moment. I'm fond of my investing, and have no qualms about leaving investments in place for years. However, my PIP SSIA matures at the end of this month and I am seriously thinking about withdrawing it immediately as the markets appear to me to be 'toppy' at the moment. Per the graph attached, the iseq is up about 8% over the last couple of weeks alone and at record highs.

I'm trying to guage the sentiment as to why the market has jumped so much. A spike can often be evident before a sudden fall, and it looks like the ISEQ has spiked for whatever reason. Or has it reached a new plateau?? Is it expected to break the 10k barrier? I'm curious, because there have been a lot of experts in the media recently talking up the market, just like they all do with the housing market.

I don't know why I have this urge to cash in, call it a hunch, but I'm suspicious... :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

The ISEQ is weighted towards the banks it seems to me and as long as their earnings are good i don't see any problem.
    Smurfit Kappa were asked why they chose to float now and they said that they think it is the right time because how well the market is doing so they seem to think it will continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

mollser wrote:
    Hi all,

Just peoples thoughts on the stock market at the moment. I'm fond of my investing, and have no qualms about leaving investments in place for years. However, my PIP SSIA matures at the end of this month and I am seriously thinking about withdrawing it immediately as the markets appear to me to be 'toppy' at the moment. Per the graph attached, the iseq is up about 8% over the last couple of weeks alone and at record highs.

I'm trying to guage the sentiment as to why the market has jumped so much. A spike can often be evident before a sudden fall, and it looks like the ISEQ has spiked for whatever reason. Or has it reached a new plateau?? Is it expected to break the 10k barrier? I'm curious, because there have been a lot of experts in the media recently talking up the market, just like they all do with the housing market.

I don't know why I have this urge to cash in, call it a hunch, but I'm suspicious... :cool:

WHAT a HUNCH that was, I should become a financial adviser.

I Rang AIB to cash in the ssia shortly after I posted the above, however they needed it in writing and i've been on holidays since. How peed off am I with myself after the recent slump. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

mollser wrote:
    Per the graph attached, the iseq is up about 8% over the last couple of weeks alone and at record highs.
    If anyone here could tell you for sure whether the market was going to go up or down we'd be rich ;)

Step back one second - is your SSIA entirely invested in the ISEQ? If yes, then you should think about diversifying rather than having everything dependent on the Irish economy. If this was my situation, yes I would cash it in but reinvest elsewhere.

Do equities look overvalued? To me yes, but so do most assets (don't get me started on the property pyramid scheme). I have put the money I need for my rainy day fund into the highest paying deposit account I can find along with quite a bit more cash I'd rather invest, but any time I do invest I do so with no intention of ever selling.

Advertisement