Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators on boards.ie

Options
  • 15-02-2007 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

This post (quite rightly closed and locked for obvious reasons) caught my attention.

While it was open, I noticed that one of the moderators responded with something to the effect that abortion should be made mandatory for people who cant prove themselves as parents (apologies if I've misquoted, it didnt stay open long enough to copy/paste :o )

What sort of a ridiculously infantile person are you, to make such a comment? Does having the tag "Moderator" automatically give you a god given right to do this? Is this some puerile attempt to stand out?

I do believe that being a moderator of a reputable site like boards.ie involves a certain amount of tact, particularly in situations like this.

In this respect
    * I dont want to make presumptions about the moderators situation, but unless he/she has some personal affilliation or association with the subject at hand, in this case, abortion, making sweeping statements is totally unacceptable. A viewpoint may be offered. This, in no way, resembled a viewpoint.

* While this comment may have been made tongue in cheek, it's still a terribly hurtful statement to make, and should be retracted. These statements can and do cause torment to affected parties.

So who polices the police then? Do you monitor moderators performance and posts? What do you do when they get negative feedback like this? I love boards, its an integral part of my day actually, and I'd hate to think that people can get away with this stuff. Generally I find it really well policed, and potentially explosive topics are always nipped in the bud (point in fact).

If I get banned, so what. It would be plainly obvious at that point that they do, in fact, police themselves...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I assume the post you are speaking of was deleted before/after the lock and that it's not Thead's post that you are referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Moderators are not moderators outside the forum they moderate.

And just recently we have had a case of a Catmod moderating a couple of Moderators (and that was very well handled fwiw imo).

-correct nesf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Hold on...what?

From this:
    Thaedyal wrote:
    The parentng forum is not the right place for this tbh
    but that does not mean that those who are parents have not had an abortion before or after having thier children or would not consider it for the future.

How did you get this:
    one of the moderators responded with something to the effect that abortion should be made mandatory for people who cant prove themselves as parents

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Are you NUTS?!!!

Someone signs up to SPAM and a mod made the comment that the aprent forum wasnt the best place for it (such genuine posts should be in PI imo) and says that though its in the wrong place and SPAM the mod is not saying that people in the parenting forum would or would not have had an abortion?

Serious, read and think before you post a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Folks

The posts after 2nd post were deleted, obviously as the actual moderator Thaedydal (who I wasnt referring to in my post) saw fit to close the thread, quite correctly.

Im sorry I didnt make this clear in my original post.

Im not referring to the 2nd post, there were a number of posts made after that, which have subsequently been deleted as the thread has been locked.

Im not in the habit of falsely accusing anybody of anything.. though there was that one time that Ryan Tubridy stole my bird.. savage baxtard that he is..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

6th wrote:

Some good advice there, 6th, I'd advise you to take it yourself.
    nesf wrote:
    I assume the post you are speaking of was deleted before/after the lock and that it's not Thead's post that you are referring to?

I assume the same?

6th wrote:
    Are you NUTS?!!!

Someone signs up to SPAM and a mod made the comment that the aprent forum wasnt the best place for it (such genuine posts should be in PI imo) and says that though its in the wrong place and SPAM the mod is not saying that people in the parenting forum would or would not have had an abortion?

Read my post, then read Gordon's confirmation and then think before you post in future. Seriously, it was fairly obvious that he couldn't have been referring to Thead's post and that it was a deleted post that he was talking about.

Seriously, read and think before you reply. Actually, why reply at all?

Faith and nesf, my heroes..

Im not in the habit of falsely accusing anybody of anything.. though there was that one time that Ryan Tubridy stole my bird.. savage baxtard that he is..

Just ignore 6th, it makes life easier. :)

I don't see the point in linking to the post if it doesn't show us what you're talking about.

And 6th, the mods seem to be turning against you because you're supporting them too much.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    I don't see the point in linking to the post if it doesn't show us what you're talking about.

In fairness, he linked to the thread and s-mods, cat mods and the forum mods can see what the post was and deal with it appropriately etc.

Ah, so a tree that falls in the forest, when no-ones around, doesnt make a sound..

Thanks for clearing that age-old adage up for me there fade...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

smcelhinney the remark that you are refering to was to my mind as out of place as the thread was but it seems to be that person's opinion and if the topic was in humanities he would be allowed to voice that opinion there no matter how
    distasteful or idtioic other's may think it to be.

Personally I would be for enforced contraception until you had completed a course and bought an antidote for the contraception for arround a 1,000 euros.
    ah some day when I rule the planet.

P.S. Mordyboots stop trolling the forums I happen to mod

Thaedydal wrote:
    smcelhinney the remark that you are refering to was to my mind as out of place as the thread was but it seems to be that person's opinion and if the topic was in humanities he would be allowed to voice that opinion there no matter how distasteful or idtioic other's may think it to be.

Semi-agree with this. Quite possibly speaks volumes about his character, maybe the selection criteria for Mods needs to change, but I wont post about that.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Personally I would be for enforced contraception until you had completed a course and bought an antidote for the contraception for arround a 1,000 euros. ah some day when I rule the planet.

This is off topic, so I wont respond.

thanks for the reply though Thaedydal.

Ah, so a tree that falls in the forest, when no-ones around, doesnt make a sound..

Thanks for clearing that age-old adage up for me there fade...

Smart arse.

Hey whats with the 6th bashing?

nesf, I posted my reply in response to the OP and when I started typing it there were no other replies.

My apologise to smcelhinney for the misunderstanding though I am sure you understand my response based on the information available to me.

Faith if you have a problem with me either report me or take a mouthful of my manhole. Seriously find a thread I have made that there is a problem with. Keep commenting on my posts and I'll presume you have issues with me.

nesf, there is a reason why Feedback allows posters to reply (unlike Helpdesk) its so other posters can comment. If you, like faith, have an issue with me as a member of Boards drop me a pm or bring the problem to the attention of someone that can ban me - if not BACK OFF.

Fade2Black, I'm all for bashing crap mods - it just so happens I dont agree with alot of the bashing of good mods. Alot of people do seem to have a problem with me though and its getting on my manboobs.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

..."take a mouthfull of my manhole"? What the hell is wrong with you? That's just not cricket. In fact, I'd be very tempted to get you to write a written apology to Faith while you stand in the corner with your "D" hat.

As for the 6th-bashing, I think people were just pointing out to you that your post was almost completely wrong in nearly every way. It's not often that you can say that about something as subjective as an opinion, yet you've accomplished it quite well.

6th wrote:
    nesf, there is a reason why Feedback allows posters to reply (unlike Helpdesk) its so other posters can comment. If you, like faith, have an issue with me as a member of Boards drop me a pm or bring the problem to the attention of someone that can ban me - if not BACK OFF.

Nah, I've no issue with you in general. I don't like seeing people being attacked on here when they raise fair questions in a constructive way though. His post might have been a tad unclear but your post was bluntly uncalled for and not in any way constructive.

Why bother to reply if you don't have anything worthwhile or relevant to say?

My post was made based on the opening post and would it not be fair to say that, through no fault of the Op it was very unclear. I am not a mod and do not have the ability to see posts so my reply was understandable was it not?

hulla, faith has been commenting a bit lately on my posts, eevn though she should know how it feels after Psi pointed out her stupid post on the soccer feedback thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

/me looks at Hulla's sig
    Cheeky git!

It was a matter of crossed wires and you did jump in with out waiting for clarifaction 6th, I know you ment well.

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    My post was made based on the opening post and would it not be fair to say that, through no fault of the Op it was very unclear. I am not a mod and do not have the ability to see posts so my reply was understandable was it not?

You've just answered why it isn't understandable. You have been around long enough to realise that you can't see deleted posts and that should have occurred to you when it was obvious that he wasn't talking about Thead's locking post which could not be construed to mean what the post he was referring to said no matter what way you twisted what she said.

Your reply to him was aggressive and both your reply to me and faith was also. Really, and this is just my personal opinion, you shouldn't bring that kind of attitude into here. It's not helpful, constructive or beneficial to the forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

6th wrote:
    Hey whats with the 6th bashing?

Faith if you have a problem with me either report me or take a mouthful of my manhole. Seriously find a thread I have made that there is a problem with. Keep commenting on my posts and I'll presume you have issues with me.

I think you're over-reacting there just a bit! All I did was advise to you take your own hasty advice. You posted vehemently accusing the OP of being stupid, clearly not pausing to read his post properly or thinking that maybe a post had been deleted. Your excessive use of capitalisations and exclamation points made it clear just how stupid you thought he was. Then, ironically, it turned out that you actually hadn't read the post, or thought before you posted.

I'm not going to report you for something as funny as that. And I don't recall commenting on any of your other posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Thaedydal wrote:
    smcelhinney the remark that you are refering to was to my mind as out of place as the thread was but it seems to be that person's opinion and if the topic was in humanities he would be allowed to voice that opinion there no matter how
    distasteful or idtioic other's may think it to be.

Actually no. Intelligent debate only thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

<__<
    >__>

/me adds Humanities to list of subscribed forums in subsection "places to shoot my mouth off"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

And a fine pair of manboobs thei are 6th.

But back on topic. I can see where 6th is comming from, but i dont think he should have posted without knowing all the details.

But common no more 6th bashing, hes not a bad dude. But i have noticed alot of hostility on boards in the last few days since the whole issue in ah.

Lets have a nice cup of tea and chillax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Wait, what exactly is being asked for here?

A policy that all moderators be infallible?

I see problems with your idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I stand by my post. This idea that people have the right to inflict the rest of the world with the children they weren't able to raise properly has got to go. If you don't have what it takes to be a parent, then you shouldn't be allowed. It's not fair to the children, and it's not fair to the rest of us who have to pay to have the little sod's locked up or have the goverment pay the child support because mammy had moral issues with abortion.

plus think of all the stem cells we could use to cure cancer and whatnot for the rest of us who are already alive.

abortion could save the world, if only you'd let it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This post (quite rightly closed and locked for obvious reasons) caught my attention.

blah blah blah blah
    blah blah blah blah blah

So who polices the police then? Do you monitor moderators performance and posts? blah blah blah

You answered your own question at the start of your rant.
    If I get banned, so what.

I always love the martyr bit at the end of these posts.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Jesus Christ. If I see these names waving handbags on Feedback forum again I'm going go on a ban rampage. I havent been on one for ages and it might relieve the stress I'm under at the moment.

Seriously, cut it out.

6th, if I ever see you say something like that here again, you and I will have a row. Thats completely unacceptible.

DeV.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement