Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless network card question

• 15-02-2007 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

I have an old Gateway pentium 111, 500Mhz pc and I want to use it for web browsing only. I need to fit a wireless network in it but have no idea what spec I should get for it to be compatible. Any help greatly appreciated.

Motherboard; Intel p111, 500
    Chipset: Intel 440bx chipset

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Any PCI wireless network card should be OK. However you'll want to have at least Windows 2000 as a lot of cards in the shops today won't have drivers for older operating systems. I used a Netgear WG311T on a PIII 933 running Win2k without any trouble.

There is a chance the drivers and software with some cards won't "agree" with such old hardware, so I'd recommend to buy it from some place were you can return/exchange the card easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭hargo

Thanks for info. I have xp loaded on the pc so i'm probably ok for the driver.

Advertisement