Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finnegans Wake

Options
  • 15-02-2007 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I have often wondered, how many people have actually read “Finnegans Wake from start to finish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Not many, I would imagine. I haven't and am not sure if I will as people say it's completely impenetrable.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

simu wrote:
    Not many, I would imagine. I haven't and am not sure if I will as people say it's completely impenetrable.
    I have tried, but found the going too tough. Maybe I’ll give it a go again sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Completely impenetrable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Currently halfway through. Completely impenetrable but absolutely fascinating and beautiful. It's very frustrating and tiring to read but I think it's worth it. I don't know why though.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

John wrote:
    Currently halfway through. Completely impenetrable but absolutely fascinating and beautiful. It's very frustrating and tiring to read but I think it's worth it. I don't know why though.

Fair play to you, I do hope you finish, I think you will be joining an exclusive club.

• Advertisement

John wrote:

Hmmm... tempted now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

I've read it loads of times. I find it a little...elementary though. I think often time, he's too obvious and literal. I'd prefer if he had been more abstract and obscure. The book might have been more challenging then.

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

John wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm sorry. Are we not talking about The Reader's Digest?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Sounds ever more awful then Ulysses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I've gotten half-way in, but keep in mind this is reading the book over a 10 month peroid at a slow pace. I have however read Ulysses (for a course so not something I do for fun!) so I'm happy enough if I never finish Finnegan's Wake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

I'm quite a fan of Joyce, having read "Portrait..." and "Dubliners". However the prospect of reading a whole book whose very first page intimidated and confused me is not one I'm wholly enthusiastic about... I'm sure I will read it though. Or die trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 maze

I don't think you can simply 'read' and understand the book, it demands a lot research for comprehension purposes. However, the poetry of the words can be appreciated by anyone. A Good book to get band names too.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I've noticed that even many academics state that finnegan's wake is a difficult read, so although I haven't attempted it yet, I did enjoy Dubliners, and I am really enjoying Ulysses, I'm comfortable that I don't understand all of it, maybe we are not meant too, but I enjoy the parts that I do like and thats fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Ah... Life's too short to struggle through a book like that. It's sheer impenetrability would mean I wouldn't enjoy reading it and would probably end up scanning over it without taking anything in.
    Sure, you could then tell everyone you'd read Finnegans Wake but that wouldn't be reward enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

cashback wrote:
    Ah... Life's too short to struggle through a book like that. It's sheer impenetrability would mean I wouldn't enjoy reading it and would probably end up scanning over it without taking anything in.

I think that's what I did. I used references as much as I could when I read it, but a lot of it went right over my head and it was only later when I read a book about reading Finnegan's Wake that some things clicked.
    A lot of it is exercise for the eyes as much as the mind, but it would be wrong to say it's not worth trying just because you don't get everything in it. It's a tough book, nobody gets it entirely, but it's worth a look.

cashback wrote:
    Sure, you could then tell everyone you'd read Finnegans Wake but that wouldn't be reward enough for me.

Well, perhaps life is too short to be making sense of books and that an impenetrable book is the perfect solution to this! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'd be a big Joyce fan. Dubliners is beside my bed and I often dip into it. I tried reading Ulysses when I was in college but gave up. Came back to it in my mid 30s and loved it. I've read it twice and will again.

But Finnegans Wake has beaten me. I've tried twice but I really can't see the point of having to check references every few lines. Maybe when I'm 80...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Sounds ever more awful then Ulysses.
    It is. Mind you, I did the attached for a friend last week which might help with Ulysses:D I guess I could do a Finnegan's Wake version sometime.

But Finnegans Wake has beaten me. I've tried twice but I really can't see the point of having to check references every few lines. Maybe when I'm 80...

I'm still slowly getting through it. I'm not bothering too much with references for now, just reading a short general summary of each chapter as I read it and letting the imagery and words sink in, not too worried about missing plot or anything :D

Afterwards I'll read some books about it and maybe give it another bash in a couple of years.

• Advertisement

Finished it. Well worth the work and I'm looking forward to reading it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I have it sitting on my book pile, glaring at me.

Ulysses took 3 months the second time, and the first time I gave up 3/4 through but it really was worthwhile in the end. The mixture of joy and relief you get when you're finished though... I think I might have been sweating.

Finnegan's Wake will be my night-time reading during the Leaving. We'll see how that goes...

I'd recommend it for a time when you're less preoccupied. I'm done with exams but even after a day's work it can be a bit much to take in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I'd imagine so. Maybe some Cecilia to tide me over till July and then I'll get stuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

I have often wondered, how many people have actually read “Finnegans Wake from start to finish?
    Technically it doesn't have a start or finish, it runs in a circle.

Advertisement