Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about games that just P#ss you off...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

"Select a device for game save location" EVERY bloomin' time you start the game. I only have the hard drive, no memory unit, exactly the same as the last 30 times I've played the game. There's only one place it can be, so why not make a quick guess?

I'm specifically looking at you, Lumines Live and Saints Row. GTA have had it right for years now, with it automatically loading up the last save location, and still developers aren't bothering putting in a couple of lines of code to make the game loading more seamless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Drm infection, damm starforce ruined my pc twice

Charging money for small updates(maps/new units), then placing Ads in the games and then continuing to charge the price of a full game. I don't care if there are ads in the game, but if I'm going to have to see them can't it enrich my playing experience rather then be a cash cow for the developers.

Complaining about piracy, the only reason I have ever done anything related to piracy was because of measures taken against pirates which only effected the end user.

Console fps, just give up whats the point. Since Goldeneye you just cant compete.

Game endings. Over the years the more games I finish the more I'm left with a empty feeling and a lack of accomplishment. And the more I turn to online play against humans.

Playing against people. Cant we have some sort of vetting procedure for morons. Whats with the idiots who play these days? Getting called a Noob 20 minutes in, then hacker 30 minutes in? F*uk off and play the game already and stop whining about everybody else.

Rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

SyxPak wrote:
    Final Fantasy VII.

Final Fantasy VII.

And Firefly. But that might be getting off topic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Western RPGs. No original storylines. Usually based in a dull D&D 'universe' with dice roll based battle system. Reams of terrible dialogue. About as much fun as getting up 2 hours earlier in the morning and finding out that there is no hot water for the shower and only marginally more boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

-Electrified tanks in BF2/2142. I have C4, you KNOW I'm going to be placing it on tanks, but for some reason it appears to have 50,000 volts running through it which leads to instant death if you touch the tank.

-Games that limit your save options. I will decide when I want to not repeat the previous section thank you. Its retarded to force me to repeat a section of the game if I don't want to. Half Life + F6 ftw.

-Peter "Please, I want to die" Molyneux. If you churn out another piece of buggy, retardidly implemented crap as a game again, I will come find you, you over inflated hack. NO, I DON'T WANT TO DO THE TUTORIAL.

"Press, hold, and drag to the left to move the screen to the right, like this."
    /twenty second demonstration
    "Now, you try it."
    /begins dragging the screen
    "Yes....yes..."
    /continues dragging the screen.
    "Yes....yes...thats it! Now, to move the screen to the left you simply..."

I hate you Black and White. HATE.

-Consoles. There, I said it. They're PCs for stupid people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zillah wrote:

Ignorant people who dismiss consoles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

before the wii, I always thought consoles were only good for party games where you can get a load of people around and have a bit of fun.. every game that can be played on a console can be done better on a PC and usually far better.

but the wii... ah, the wii.

as to saving whenever you want to.. I like that option to, but I find It kind of makes the game too easy.. seeing as I save whenever I get a medpack/armour boost and keep saving whenever I head by a particularly difficult bit.. kind of takes the challenge out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

having to watch the retartedly slow walk of Felix in GOW as he talks on the radio set at the start of my last checkpoint and being forced to watch it every time you get killed!!!

That brings me to stupid save systems in most games. Why make the player repeat a mundane and usually long task over and over again to reach the hard bit where he'll just get killed a bunch of times!?

That and EA and their bunch of loyal zombie followers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mordeth wrote:
    kind of takes the challenge out of the game.

or a bout 12 hours or so, try Prince of perisa where you have to go out or even Ico when you have to leave the controller. Sweet god you will cry at the thoughts of being forced to do it again.
    Consoles. There, I said it. They're PCs for stupid people.

psst Zillah afaik console gaming existed long before pcs became games machines so maybe pcs are are consoles for people who think they are not stupid as they know what they have to do to run a game with patches and settings and hardware and that its the other way round and they the stupid people who 1st bought incomplete games and allowed the patch after sale process to begin!!!!

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Zillah wrote:

PC's, theyre consoles for elitist geeks :rolleyes:
    Oh and BF2142, its bf for the noobs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

KdjaCL wrote:
    psst Zillah afaik console gaming existed long before pcs became games machines so maybe pcs are are consoles for people who think they are not stupid as they know what they have to do to run a game with patches and settings and hardware and that its the other way round and they the stupid people who 1st bought incomplete games and allowed the patch after sale process to begin!!!!

kdjac

MIT'S DEC PDP-1, 2nd one made. Was the platform for the first "SpaceWar!".
    It had realtime starfields based on the images from the local observatory, a central star which exerted a gravity well, was 2-player, and was eventually a group effort.

Bushnell's Computer Space was ignored in the arcade. Pong was a success.

Consoles are for the general morasse. Always have been, always will be.
    That doesn't mean they can't be fun.

Except Final Fantasy VII.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

0ubliette wrote:
    Oh and BF2142, its bf for the noobs..

Codename Eagle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

A few things that have pi**ed me off over the years.

-Viewtiful Joe: Don't get me wrong I liked the game but the bosses were so annoying specifically when you have to fight 5 bosses (you have already fought) in a row with no saves and when you die you start from boss number one. Highly annoying.

-As retrogamer said earlier; people who are just ignorant about games, I'd have a few friends like this that would instantly dismiss games that I'd have been looking forward to for months like Okami (which is brilliant) the Wii and basically anything that isn't a military style shooter. I mean come on these games are fun but there are only so many different run and gun games you can play without wanting to at least try something different.

-WoW: I played this got to about level 15 and then it became too much like work, how can so many millions of people play this so religiously? Come on Warcraft give me back my friends! :p

Ho-Hum wrote:
    -Viewtiful Joe: Don't get me wrong I liked the game but the bosses were so annoying specifically when you have to fight 5 bosses (you have already fought) in a row with no saves and when you die you start from boss number one. Highly annoying.

It's a Capcom Tradition and is in almost all of their arcadey games. Blame Megaman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The fact that nothing has ever or will ever be released that will convince my wife that gaming is a worthwhile endeavor, driving my habit underground, with clandestine trips to Gamestop in the dead of lunchtime, sneaking the shrinkwrapped packages of gaming goodness into the house, the staff in Santry don't even offer a bag anymore, knowing its merely instantly disposed of before its spotted at home and used as evidence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

What about The Sims or something like that Ciderman??? Women seem to love games where they can make men do whatever they want!!!

KdjaCL wrote:

I definately agree that the "release too early - patch later" phenomenon is a very unfortunate side effect of PC gaming. But I also say that its a small price to pay for the ability to release additional content and address genuine bugs that only become apparent after mass release.
    0ubliette wrote:
    PC's, theyre consoles for elitist geeks :rolleyes:

Elitist in this context meaning "People who like being able to customise the performance of their games aswell as have access to massive amounts of additional content from the programmers and online fanbase."

That and the fact that its nicely integrated with all the other things my PC does.

Also, the fact that in recent years its been a trend that games simultaneously developed for PC and Consoles have been dumbed down and simplifed for both. Case in point: Deus Ex Invisible War.

Really, what benefit does a console give except make it easier? The downsides are many, but what advantages does it give?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Zillah wrote:
    I definately agree that the "release too early - patch later" phenomenon is a very unfortunate side effect of PC gaming. But I also say that its a small price to pay for the ability to release additional content and address genuine bugs that only become apparent after mass release.
    The sad thing is that consoles games have been flirting with the patching culture now too.
    Really, what benefit does a console give except make it easier? The downsides are many, but what advantages does it give?
    The main thing I can think of is that you can get longer out of a console. My current PC went obsolete gamewise about a year after purchase, whereas I'm still using my PS2 4 or 5 years after purchase.
    To be fair though, upgrading is a possibility, whereas the console equivalent is buying a new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

People who slag other peoples choice of consoles. If you play games, you're a fan of games, not the hardware that they run on ffs. Just because you love MGS and that's on Sony machines does not mean that the other consoles and pcs are crap. :rolleyes:

Bad AI. Ugh, please, if you're developing a game spend a bit of time on the AI, there's nothing like bad pathing or an npc running around in circles to make the 4th wall come crashing down.

Generic score. Music does a wonderful job of drawing a player into the world that the developers have lovingly crafted. And bad music can really ruin the experience. More Homeworlds please.

*Specifically RTS games* Those missions where you're given a small number of units and have to accomplish some objective. I enjoy base building, less of these!

CD checks. If someone is going to pirate a game, this is not going to be a detterant. It's just an inconvenience to those who do buy the game.

Zillah wrote:

Elitist in this context meaning "People who like being able to customise the performance of their games aswell as have access to massive amounts of additional content from the programmers and online fanbase."

That and the fact that its nicely integrated with all the other things my PC does.

Also, the fact that in recent years its been a trend that games simultaneously developed for PC and Consoles have been dumbed down and simplifed for both. Case in point: Deus Ex Invisible War.

Hmm lets see...
    Well, being that this is, or was a discussion about GAMES, and not GAMING HARDWARE, im not even going to talk about upgrading hardware (im a pc owner too, and recently upgraded my machine) suffice to say, a geforce 8800GT is not going to suddent make the gameplay in daikatana seem like half life 2. If you want to start a thread about hardware and how great it is to be able to upgrade your pc, by all means, go ahead. But seeing as how this is about games, all i need to say is:

Okami
    ICO
    Shadow of the colossus
    Zelda
    Dead rising
    Gears of war
    Resident Evil
    Katamari

To name but a few 'advantages'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Cliched, but... it's all about the games. If a game is out on both platforms I can understand picking PC over console, but dismissing consoles and console games entirely is pure madness, a lot of the best games of recent years were console games.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

koneko wrote:
    Cliched, but... it's all about the games.
    QFT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I also hate when people hijack threads :(

0ubliette wrote:
    But seeing as how this is about games, all i need to say is:
    To name but a few 'advantages'

All those games could have been made for PC and have been identical/superior. I never stated that no good games have been released for consoles, simply that those games could have been developed for PC and have been better for it.
    koneko wrote:
    Cliched, but... it's all about the games. If a game is out on both platforms I can understand picking PC over console, but dismissing consoles and console games entirely is pure madness, a lot of the best games of recent years were console games.

See above.
    humanji wrote:
    I also hate when people hijack threads :(

You're quite right and I apoligise. I'll leave it there.

Zillah wrote:
    All those games could have been made for PC and have been identical/superior. I never stated that no good games have been released for consoles, simply that those games could have been developed for PC and have been better for it.

From a technical standpoint they could have been made on pc, but they werent, and arent going to be. PC doesnt get games like those listed, fact. Oh and those games on a keyboard and mouse, would NOT have made them any better. Anyone who limits themselves to one system for a purely technical reason, is getting a vastly crippled gaming experience and is missing out on a whole other world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Silver Shadow

I hate it when people use glitches and are able to shoot or walk through walls.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I hate it when people use glitches and are able to shoot or walk through walls.:mad:

Ohh another one i thought off...the cheat guide. You buy your game for €60 then told by games shop person that guide is only 3 quid....why the **** would i pay 60 for a game and then use a guide to get tru it.

2nd part the people who buy these guides....what is wrong with these people?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm kind of looking forward to the Shadowrun game, because they use these glitches as "spells" in the game, which will put everyone on an even footing.

This one will probably go for some members here, so sorry. But I hate when people refuse to try a game because a website gave it a bad review. GameSpot are notorious for their biased reviews. Does it not seem suspicious that the game that's being advertised all over the site, is been given a good review? There's so much stuff out there that if people would give them a try, they could change the way games are designed for good, but people just refuse to give them a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

closed in gameplay.

eg. Call of Duty 3. Standing at an open gate watching tanks and soldiers go by but no being able to walk through the gate. Shatters any suspension of disbelief and just pisses me off.

Oh, slow load times as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Zillah wrote:
    All those games could have been made for PC and have been identical/superior.

But they weren't. Talking about which platform could be the best if it had games it doesn't is pointless; the reality of the situation is that the PC is graced with little more than FPS's, MMO's and RTS's, most of which are horribly generic.

I've got a decent laptop which didn't cost too much; a lot more than a console, but then I use it for a lot more than playing games. It's capable of running the last few years of PC releases, the pick of which are available for peanuts in my local GAME. Yet almost all of the games I play on it are emulated console and arcade releases, because there's so little variety in original PC games.

Thankfully, there's always the gem that is the PC's indie scene, which will never be rivalled by consoles.

Advertisement