Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about games that just P#ss you off...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

But they weren't. Talking about which platform could be the best if it had games it doesn't is pointless; the reality of the situation is that the PC is graced with little more than FPS's, MMO's and RTS's, most of which are horribly generic.

(If a friendly mod could possibly copy all the OT posts to a new thread please?)

Its completely irrelevant. My point is that the PC can do everything a console can do. Any alternative only limits the options. The fact that good games were released on consoles is irrelevant in terms of which platform is superior.

In a world where no PCs existed, and only consoles, we would lose lots of things.

In a world where no consoles existed, and only PCs, we would lose nothing and gain lots.

Your argument about good games being released on consoles says nothing about the merits of the platform, merely how popular it is. And, like my original point said, the only reason they're so popular is because they're dumbed down PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Off thread ranting removed.

<gives Zillah an incredulous look>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Post-credit endings - we all know the ones, where you have to sit through almost ten minutes of names - "Special thanks to Super Mario Team" anyone? - before we get to see the proper ending. I remember MGS3 featuring a big plot twist in the final codec sequence for example...

Patches - Picked up the WoW trial recently and after the mind numbing slowness of the first 300 and something meg patch, theres one double the size directly after. I promptly gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I see my subtle hint was too subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

humanji wrote:
    I see my subtle hint was too subtle.

Sorry. I just had to reply. Will snip it.
    Patches - Picked up the WoW trial recently and after the mind numbing slowness of the first 300 and something meg patch, theres one double the size directly after. I promptly gave up.

Wow! :eek: (as in exclamation not world of... never mind)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

[Off topic ranting]

*Gives quad red a confident stare*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Post-credit endings - we all know the ones, where you have to sit through almost ten minutes of names - "Special thanks to Super Mario Team" anyone? - before we get to see the proper ending. I remember MGS3 featuring a big plot twist in the final codec sequence for example...

lol, that always bugged me because I usually refuse to buy a MMORPG on first release and end up with months of updating, by which time somthing shiny has caught my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Puddles

[queit voice] I like this. Well, I mean, it stops people hopping around like loons in multiplayer. Having an "auto-hop" to get over small obstacles is only common courtesy, though. [/quiet voice]

I have to say, I play some FPS games but MOH is a FPS fan. He absolutely detests jumping in games. "If I wanted a platform game, I'd have bought Crash Bandicoot!!" Thats his attitude okay, but it does annoy him that the designers have this need to leave small walls and fences around that beg to be jumped and can't be.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Silver Shadow

invisibility in RPG games.

esp. in shooting games where people can sneek up on you and kill you without you being able to see them at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Unlockable fighting moves.....i hate these damn things that you learn as you play the game like a sword in Zelda or a double damage move in joe or something like it.

By the time you finish the game you have sussed a way of playing it by throwing in complex moves that you didnt need to finish the game and now should use cos you can defeats the purpose of the game, i want to know them all at the start and use a mixture of them as i progress.

by giving you limited moves you learn them and use them by adding to it you dont actually use them as you know another simpler way....

god damn annoys me.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Same as kdjac really having the reg a game online before being able to play it, bf2142 a prime example ffs.

Glitches, unavoidable but they still piss me off.

Big headed bastids that think they are the dog bollocks at that particular game, regardless of wether they are good or not the way they act all "superior" and don't want to play against 'nubs' for fear of losing skills. :mad:

:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

R0ot wrote:

Big headed bastids that think they are the dog bollocks at that particular game, regardless of wether they are good or not the way they act all "superior" and don't want to play against 'nubs' for fear of losing skills. :mad:

:D

I agree, I've only started playing online, cut us some slack its just a game! You weren't born with a silver keyboard stuck your ar$e either.

Where are all the simple fun games that you play for mindless kicks? No I don't want to set up controls for checking the oil pressure in engine number 4 while monitoring the trade price of space gems, I want to fly a rocket ship very fast and blow stuff up!

Checkpoints, really, what the point on a PC or a next gen console?

A head shot with a big lump of a gun at point blank range should be a head shot.

I don't want to sit through developer and publisher logo videos every time I load a game tapping Esc furiously in vain. It makes me want to buy your games less!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The invincible plastic wrapping that MS and Nintendo use for their peripherals. After taking a chainsaw/katana to it to slowly hack through it there is a real danger of cutting yourself off the plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Fandyfan

i agree with 5uspect, i dont like people who are angry with n00bs! i play online games and i would help n00bs out whenever asked...well with good reason... that is all... :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Fandyfan wrote:
    i agree with 5uspect, i dont like people who are angry with n00bs! i play online games and i would help n00bs out whenever asked...well with good reason... that is all... :D

And that all I would expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Unskippable and excessively long winded cutscenes. I point in the general direction of FFX.

If I have to look at the cutscene for Seymour on the mountain and for Yunalesca one more time I think I might just scream. God only knows how many times I had to look at them but I was fairly I could do a decent job of acting the bloody things.

I was pretty close to taking the disc out of the machine and using it as my new tool for removing poo from my shoes after I step in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Not being able to play Zelda roms on my Xbox! I own the games for the N64 but the feckin thing is broke. Anyways they dont make a profit out of the early games anymore. UP WITH ROMMERY!

Console exclusives. Or wait for it to come out on the PC for half a year. GTA i look at you with hate! The modding community and multiplayer mod community look to GTA as a massive fun resource! And i aint buying a PS3 for one damn game.

Steam, VAC Banning, no third party cheat detection. Ragers.

Not being able to buy a Wii cuz im a waster and didnt get those interviews or was told "yeah, we'll call you back".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

How about PC games that are released clearly in an unfinished and highly buggy state with "release it as soon as possible, sure we can patch it later" mentality... Armed assault been one of the most recent, but not the first and almost certainly not the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Another thing about AI, for example in Oblivion the city guards magically know when you've done anything wrong murder in any alley,stealing etc...even if they are no where around, can they see through a whole god dam city? i mean ITS JUST ANNOYING:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Theres a mod/patch to fix that. Search google for "Oblivion phychic guards" or something to that effect.

Edit: PC only!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

Grimloch wrote
    "Unskippable and excessively long winded cutscenes. I point in the general direction of FFX.

If I have to look at the cutscene for Seymour on the mountain and for Yunalesca one more time I think I might just scream. God only knows how many times I had to look at them but I was fairly I could do a decent job of acting the bloody things.

I was pretty close to taking the disc out of the machine and using it as my new tool for removing poo from my shoes after I step in it."

Oh yes. My sentiments exactly. Playing FFX right now and just finished that yunalesca part.I was so close to just throwing the disk in the bin. I'd also like to add that I hate the word "chocobo".

My pet peeve is region locking, it's just not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The invincible plastic wrapping that MS and Nintendo use for their peripherals. After taking a chainsaw/katana to it to slowly hack through it there is a real danger of cutting yourself off the plastic.
    That's a brilliant one! I hate that stuff, cut myself so many times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭hurleyd

Brerrabbit wrote:
    Grimloch wrote
    "Unskippable and excessively long winded cutscenes. I point in the general direction of FFX.

I was pretty close to taking the disc out of the machine and using it as my new tool for removing poo from my shoes after I step in it."

Oh yes. My sentiments exactly. Playing FFX right now and just finished that yunalesca part.I was so close to just throwing the disk in the bin. I'd also like to add that I hate the word "chocobo".
    I still haven't finished FFX cause I'm just sick of seeing the cutscenes around Braska's Final Aeon.

In Paper Mario 2, there's a big cutscene in the middle of the final boss, I tried it twice failed and then just left the disk in its box for months before I got round to finishing it. I hate seeing the same cutscenes over and over again.

Advertisement